Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider MPTV grads on small-threaded tech cam lenses?  (Read 1250 times)

torger

Schneider MPTV grads on small-threaded tech cam lenses?
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:30:23 am »

I've just started use graduated filters. I started off with a cokin P holder and hitech filters, I like the size and low weight and I did not think I needed so much quality, and the flimsy holder is okay, but uncoated filters... does not feel good after I got the first double-image from reflections despite properly shaded filters. It probably will work in most situations but I don't like the uncertainty factor.

To get coated glass it seems that Schneider 4mm 4x5.65 inch MPTV filters in a Lee holder is the only readily available option.

I use Schneider Digitar lenses which are small, the lens threads are 40.5mm on the longer and 67mm on the wider, thus the size of these filters are overkill. With step-up rings I'll be able to mount it on a 40.5mm thread, but I wonder if I the holder with glass is so heavy that it is a bad idea.

Has anyone tried this combination?

marcmccalmont

Re: Schneider MPTV grads on small-threaded tech cam lenses?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:53:57 am »

I have used a cokin P holder with Singh ray glass filters for years no problem at all
I ended up with 77mm step up rings on my Rodenstock lenses so I don't have to change the holder adapter to fit each lens
I also found nice metal 77mm lens shades to fit each
But with the small pixel pitch of the new sensors any filter will reduce accutance and resolution so I tend not to use them much anymore
Marc
Marc McCalmont

torger

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:33:40 am »

Isn't sing-ray uncoated resin filters when it comes to graduated at least?

The only coated I found for P-size is tiffen but the only product is a two-stop blender, and I'm kind of a 3-stop hard-edge guy :-)

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:19:33 am »

you are correct my mistake. I do have some color correction filters that are glass and no problems
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up