Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filename Template Editor and "Shoot Name" option  (Read 1579 times)

RzB

Filename Template Editor and "Shoot Name" option
« on: July 13, 2012, 04:59:45 am »

Win 7 64bit
Lightroom 4.1
Photoshop CS5

The Filename Template Editor has different options depending where it is opened from

If it is opened from the Import menu there is an option to add "Shoot Name".

If opened from the Library>Rename Photos there is no option to add "Shoot Name".

Furthermore, if one invokes a preset by the Library>Rename Photo route, that was created during Import with a "Shoot Name", then the "Shoot Name" part doesn't show up in the preset.

Does anyone understand the rational for this behaviour? It's not explained in the help and it seems odd to me.

Thoughts?

RzB
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:13:22 pm by RzB »

dpirazzi

Re: Filename Template Editor and "Shoot Name" option
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:21:40 pm »

Came across this post while searching on the same behavior, I'm guessing from the lack of responses that what RzB describes is just the way it is and there is no workaround?

I'm trying to find a way to change the "Shoot Name" while renaming files from within LR4.1. As I use LR more and more my file naming and directory naming is evolving.

thx, Dave

RzB

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:11:22 am »

At last a response! Yipee !!! :-)

I actually posted three threads at about the same time and didn't get a single response to any of them! I was wondering if I was making my explanations too complicated, or perhaps not enough information - or perhaps just daft posts that weren't worth responding to!! :-)

Anyway - thank you for your response.

I did discuss with Adobe Support and they were not overly helpful - basically the response was - "that's the way it's designed". Hmmm - well I would love to see the use case that describes that behaviour. I thinks it's a bug really.

I have decided not to use the Shoot Name option, and just go with the Custom Text field. At least that seems to be consistent no matter where the Filename Template Editor is opened from.

RzB

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:47:08 am »

There wasn't much joined-up thinking when shoot name was added to the tethering feature, though its being unavailable elsewhere is only a minor rough edge.

RzB

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 05:09:31 am »

I agree - not a big deal. Just one of those silly things that ought to get tidied up some time.

Just a pain and a waste of time when you have created a preset and used it a lot during import, and then find it's missing when using Library/Rename. 

Would be better to remove it and just go with the Custom Text Field - or perhaps there are now problems with doing that.

RzB
Pages: [1]   Go Up