Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX 100 review  (Read 15390 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Sony RX 100 review
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:52 pm »

Nice review and nice socks Michael.
Funny you should mention the Rollei. It was the theft of my Rollei 35 that forced me into digital, and I've never found the digital equivalent.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Sony RX 100 review
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »

When I got a GF1 with the little 20mm lens, I thought it was a pretty good facsimile of several old compact 35mm film cameras that I used. But it's not really pocketable since the lens doesn't retract, so the new Sony looks like a great option.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

trichardlin

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:18:09 am »

No picture of the real camera?  How about a side-by-side picture with that Rollei 35, Michael?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:48:15 am »

I saw a photo of the Queen (of England) holding a Rollei 35 once. I wonder if she'll get herself one of these.  :)
--
Robert

svein-frode

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:12:35 am »

Thanks for the review! I've ordered one!

Finally a shirt pocket camera to fill the last gap in the arsenal. Man, this type of camera took a long time to arrive in the marketplace...
Svein-Frode, Arctic Norway
 [url=http://w

viewfinder

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:16:15 am »

The Rollei 35 had a viewfinder.......

David S

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:32:08 am »

How did you get around the lack of a viewfinder?

Dave S

billh

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:14 pm »

Your mention of the Rollei 35 sure brought back memories. Long ago I was in Wales using my Rollei 6008, when a terrific wind  blew up, seemingly out of nowhere. It blew the tripod with the Rollei over before I could grab it, and the only thing that saved that trip was the sweet little Rollie 35 that had come along for the ride. It’s amazing how much nostalgia dwells up at the memory of some of these wonderful old cameras.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06:59 pm »

The Rollei 35 had a viewfinder.......

Quite, and it's absurd that anyone accepts a digital camera without one.

My experiences with my cellpix machine has convinced me that, today, there ¡s a buyer for anything that a manufacturer deigns to put out there. In other words, not only one is born every minute, but enough ones to maintain a friggin' industry!

Of course, this all comes from the idea that old is inevitably flawed and therefore something different has to be introduced both to discredit the old and clothe the new emperor in more of his Sunday best. Holding a 'camera' at arm's length is about as dumb a way of doing it as I've ever encountered.

Caveat emptor, indeed.

Rob C

douglasf13

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »

I think of LCD screens as the modern day incarnation of ground glass finders, and EVFs as the modern day incarnation of optical viewfinders.  Plenty of people shot happily with ground glass in the past.  I happen to prefer the viewfinder approach most of the time, but, for a true pocket cam in particular, I think the LCD is an acceptable method.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 02:23:45 pm »

Nice review, pretty much matches my findings.

Sony has obviously defined a very clear strategy - stuff the largest possible sensor in the smallest possible body. Pretty amazingly, they seem to be the only ones having tried to do this real bad, meaning that all the other guys were either unable or unwilling to do it...

The only question is when is Sony going to apply this to 35mm sensors!

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 03:08:01 pm »

I think of LCD screens as the modern day incarnation of ground glass finders, and EVFs as the modern day incarnation of optical viewfinders.  Plenty of people shot happily with ground glass in the past.  I happen to prefer the viewfinder approach most of the time, but, for a true pocket cam in particular, I think the LCD is an acceptable method.

I suffered few frustrations with the ground glass screens of MPP, Sinar, Rolleiflex, Mamiya and Hasselblad, Exakta and Nikon products. Of course plenty of us shot happily with such screens in the past - it's my point: you held them to your face, not cantilevered a mile in front of you, and they had either pentaprisms or hoods to keep the ambient light off them. Simply deciding to make a mental comparison between the two systems (LCD and ground glass) doesn't at all mean that it's a valid one.

Like you, I too prefer a viewfinder; obviously that's why I made the post, and it's an insult to the buyer to make him accept lousy substitutes and compromises.

Cellphones should be for speaking, and tiny cameras for shooting pictures via the normal, efficient and well-established methods of yore, but with the digital advantages of size and cost.  I assume that digital does bring such advantages?

Rob C

svein-frode

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:23:28 pm »

The problem with my Hasselblad was that I couldn't fit it into my pocket, so I'll happily accept the lack of a viewfinder.

Have a nice weekend everyone!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:34:25 pm by svein-frode »
Svein-Frode, Arctic Norway
 [url=http://w

AFairley

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 07:35:36 pm »

I will accept no VF as a trade-off to get true pocketability.  The OVFs on the older Canon ELFs were useless for accurate framing; to achieve that you need an OVF or EVF of sufficient size to make the RX100 form factor impossible.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:23 am »

Just ordered one; looks tickety boo on paper and the review, hoping it will be good enough for serious work.  A lot of earlier shirt-pocket pretenders almost hit the spot, but I ended up struggling with that powdery noise that affects the ultra-small sensor cameras.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

jeremyrh

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 07:32:29 am »

Umm ... maybe this is a dumb question, but can any of the RX100 owners point me to a user manual to download?  ???

jeremypayne

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 07:47:53 am »

Umm ... maybe this is a dumb question, but can any of the RX100 owners point me to a user manual to download?  ???

Haven't needed one yet ... One hour of exploring the menus and I was on my way ...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 08:02:25 am »

Haven't needed one yet ... One hour of exploring the menus and I was on my way ...

Hum... same here. The out of the box settings are mostly fine. I was operational in less than 10 mins.

A mode, auto ISO. I will need to change the AF settings one of these days though.  :)

Cheers,
Bernard

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 08:21:55 am »

jeremyrh

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 05:03:17 am »

I believe that you can download it here - http://www.fotoez.net/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-compact-digital-camera-users-manual-owners-instruction-13951

Otherwise I found mine after someone on DPReview posted a link - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=41959390
Great -the second link works perfectly - many thanks :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up