Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Illegal uploading  (Read 5494 times)

asoulym

Illegal uploading
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:14:36 am »

Can someone tell me how to stop my photos being uploaded from the web without my consent. Is it done within the website itself or can there be "something" done with the file to deny these people. I'm no tech-head, and am not keen on splashing some sort of copyright across the photo.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Re: Illegal uploading
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:15:09 am »

You can't: if I can see it in my browser, I can download it to my hard drive; period.

You can try to use flash, disable right-click, obfuscate the links, and many other alternatives; some of them will be harder to by-pass that others, but the crude fact is that any image than can see in a screen can be saved to a hard drive and uploaded somewhere else.

My two-cents piece of advice is to forget trying to avoid it: all you are going to do is lose time and money, and probably even piss some legitimate visitors. You could add a watermark to the images, if you feel like it (I don't, but that is just my personal choice).

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:08:56 am »

If you don't want it copied, don't put it on the web.  Or learn to like watermarks.

francois

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:44 am »

Use only small image sizes… something like 600 or 800 pixels.

The issue is that as soon as your images are displayed on a monitor, copying them is as simple as taking a screenshot.
Francois

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 02:53:11 pm »

Yup... three things to remember:  EVERYTHING online should be considered public, permanent and irretrievable.  Simple as that.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:31:47 pm »

Yup... three things to remember:  EVERYTHING online should be considered public, permanent and irretrievable.  Simple as that.

Mike.

+++
Rule #1: Any image you upload, if any good, slightly good, really pretty bad, or awful, will be stolen.

Putting smaller file size images on the web makes it less desirable to thieves. I use Photoshop's Save For Web feature which strips much more of the jpg information from the image without significantly affecting its monitor appearance. However, with the newer up-resing software you can restore many images to usable sizes if you really liked the image and had no scruples against committing theft. 

Watermarking may discourage the Photoshop illiterate but many of the stock photography contributors report widespread illegal use of their images WITH THE WATERMARKS STILL VISIBLE. ??? Some thieves have no pride.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:41:33 am »

With the Lightroom plugin Mogrify you can add a border with your signature. There are a lot of option to use exif and iptc tags, for example to include the image number if somebody wants buy the image: http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify.php?sec=quickguide

lfeagan

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »

With the Lightroom plugin Mogrify you can add a border with your signature. There are a lot of option to use exif and iptc tags, for example to include the image number if somebody wants buy the image: http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify.php?sec=quickguide

Sweet. ImageMagick for LR.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 04:11:19 pm »

Try keeping your low-res web images to below 250k, by saving with a JPG compression of no higher than 10 and at no more than 800px on the longest dimension.

If you think you may be able to take legal action and need proof the image is yours and was stolen, you can also embed a 'secret' copyright text message into the JPG, search google to find out ways to do this.

Yo can also download and install TinEye into your browser to help you search for sites illegally using your images.

Have fun  :)

Dave

sniper

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 11:46:24 am »

Try keeping your low-res web images to below 250k, by saving with a JPG compression of no higher than 10 and at no more than 800px on the longest dimension.

If you think you may be able to take legal action and need proof the image is yours and was stolen, you can also embed a 'secret' copyright text message into the JPG, search google to find out ways to do this.

Yo can also download and install TinEye into your browser to help you search for sites illegally using your images.

Have fun  :)

Dave
Tineye has never worked for me, it doesn't even find the pics on my own website never mind anyones elses.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 09:24:56 pm »

Can someone tell me how to stop my photos being uploaded from the web without my consent. Is it done within the website itself or can there be "something" done with the file to deny these people. I'm no tech-head, and am not keen on splashing some sort of copyright across the photo.

If you are in the US, register the copyright. That way, it is a lot easier to go after people who are stealing photos, However, it is probably only worth going after people (mis) using them for commercial purposes, but in those cases you can get compensation if registered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up