Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographer John Wimberley  (Read 2458 times)

Robert Brummitt

Photographer John Wimberley
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:33:36 am »

I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Photographer John Wimberley last Sunday. We talked about many things photography. I did some portraits of John for my series.

popnfresh

Re: Photographer John Wimberley
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:53:14 am »

That's a nice portrait of Wimberley. I've admired his work for many years.

amolitor

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:12:04 pm »

Is he standing in front of a print, or out in the world?

The light on his face is so wildly different from the (apparent) environmental lighting that I find this rather hard to look at.

Robert Brummitt

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:23:08 pm »

I used a flash to separate John from the background. We were at a scenic viewing spot off I-5 in Weed, California.

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:28:57 pm »

That's what it looked like to me, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions!

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:36:03 am »

Dunsmure to Weed is probably the best interstate view in the world in viewing Mt. Shasta. I also much admire Wimberley's work.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:56 am »

That is a nice straightforward portrait...and that is not intended to be damning with faint praise.  Straight portraits (without gimmicks) are hard to do well, and executing them well is a compliment not only to your photographic talent but also your ability to put your subject at ease, resulting in a pleasant and disarmed look. 

The variation between the color temp of the flash and the color temp of the background is jarring.  Some selective color balance adjustments would make this excellent.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the color rendition on the thumbnail is completely different than the popup image.  I guess that thumbnail doesn't have a color profile attached or something. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

popnfresh

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 11:46:48 am »

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the color rendition on the thumbnail is completely different than the popup image.  I guess that thumbnail doesn't have a color profile attached or something. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice it before. Very odd.

Robert Brummitt

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »

The variation between the color temp of the flash and the color temp of the background is jarring.  Some selective color balance adjustments would make this excellent.

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.
I would really love to know how to balance out the two color temps.
Any thoughts of how?
Thanks

amolitor

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 12:18:51 pm »

I think his suggestion is to select John's face, and apply white balance correction to the selected region until it matches the background. Honestly, just desaturating it a bit looks like it would get you most of the way there, and maybe push the hue a little away from the red side.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 12:52:37 pm »

I think his suggestion is to select John's face, and apply white balance correction to the selected region until it matches the background. Honestly, just desaturating it a bit looks like it would get you most of the way there, and maybe push the hue a little away from the red side.

Yep, that is what I was suggesting. In PhotoShop, select his head or the background and then create a color balance adjustment layer.  Monkey with the sliders until the foreground and background color temps look more harmonious.  There will probably be some ugly edges between the two color temperature areas, so then under the select menu you can choose the refine edge option to get a closer match to the exact outline.  This will modify the mask on the adjustment layer.  Alternatively, you could paint into the mask layer with a soft brush to reduce the hard edged color change.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Robert Brummitt

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:32:08 am »

Here is a new one that John likes. What do you think?

Robert Brummitt

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:40 am »

Oops, I mean this one.
Sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up