Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I may have zonked my 7600-help  (Read 1568 times)

dennmorr

I may have zonked my 7600-help
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:16:43 pm »

I am pretty sure I may have done my printer in-but with all the smart people here I'm hoping for the best.
Several months ago I utilized some refillable cartridges to switch my 9600 from dye to pigment ink by charging the lines with Cone cleaning solution. I then installed Epson OEM cartridges and all has been fine with the 9600 since.
    A few weeks ago I decided to switch to Cone inks on my 7600 from OEM. Since I had the refillable cartridges (Partially filled with the cleaning solution) that I had used earlier I thought why not use them? I emptied out the cleaning solution out of the "yellow" cartridge and rinsed it with water.(my hunch is the water is the issue) I  filled it with yellow ink and all was fine for a few weeks. (I am assuming the new ink was running thru the  lines) On Sunday I got a bad test print on the yellow. Since then I have done about 6 power cleans and 2 times soaking the head overnight on a paper towel saturated with Simple green. At this point when I run a base yellow test photo I get absolutely nothing.
Am I Cooked?
Dennis Morris
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:32:33 pm by dennmorr »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: I may have zonked my 7600-help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:15:42 am »

Just a couple of thoughts as I never tried switching back and forth between OEM and non Epson inks.

1. Check your damper for yellow.  You might have a bad damper, and if you do, you can clean pretty much forever and you will not prime it.
    If your yellow ink damper is dry, you might try a replacement.  The service manual is on-line on many download sites and shows the process
    on damper replacement pretty well.  Part are not expensive, but it's labor intensive. 

2.  Check for air in the line.  Not as common in the older non-pressurized printers, but you have switched out ink so you may a pretty large
    air gap.  It's easy to see by a quick examination of the ink lines.  The only way to remove it I know of is to keep cleaning.

3.  Try a Super Strong Cleaning Cycle.  This is not runnable from the printer.  I believe Epson's name is SSCL.  You run it from the printer control
    panel.  It's only available with the latest firmware for the 7600.  With as many power cleans as you have done, it may not help.  However it's
    much stronger than a standard Power Clean.  It was developed by Epson for the 7600/9600 class printers when Epson figured out that standard
    power cleans will not work.  Thus it was added as a feature in the printer control software.  I used to have the steps to run it, but have gotten
    rid of all my 7600 stuff.  Epson should be able to give you the steps.

I still think it's your damper.  A bad damper can easily kill all the ink to the head as the damper is where the ink is basically primed for the head.

Hope you get it cleared.
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dennmorr

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »

I checked the damper, it seems to have ink in it-but could it still be bad? The lines don't appear to have any air.
Dennis

dennmorr

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:30:31 am »

I replaced the damper- Did 3 power cleans and still almost no output from yellow. Is my goose cooked? or is there any else I can do before dragging it out to the curb?
 Dennis Morris
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:33:43 am by dennmorr »
Pages: [1]   Go Up