Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On a bus  (Read 3708 times)

michswiss

On a bus
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:28:17 pm »

Tony Jay

Re: On a bus
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:35:29 pm »

Great image.

Could look at this for hours and not get bored - a winner for those that love their interpretations.

Regards

Tony Jay

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:40:55 pm »

Glad to see you're back on the ground, Jennifer. It's a fine shot. Bravo! It's clear this is your proper photographic genre.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:30:19 pm »

Beauty!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45:47 pm »

First class shot!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:33:15 am »

I like this a lot! A good example of a classic 'street' image imo....

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 04:17:29 am »

So 60s!

But this shot reveals the difference between observation and what the late lady in New York was trying - no, was - doing. Not a trace of mockery nor of voyeurism, just quick reactions and a delightful eye for the genre.

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:23:58 pm »

Somewhat timeless, that image.  Spans several decades, anyway!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:38:27 pm »

This photograph is as dangerous as an unfenced swimming pool.  Interpreting it is liable to leave one afloat and exposed.  Compelling as it is, the water's over my head; thanks.

Bruce

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:40:26 pm »

I like...
the simplicty
the nonchalance of the scene
the waiting for the right moment to snap the shutter
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 03:47:45 am »

I like...
the simplicty
the nonchalance of the scene
the waiting for the right moment to snap the shutter

The right moment...

And that's the moment I lose it with critique: how the hell can anyone other than the shooter know that was the right moment? Only the shooter can know what went before, came after or whether she caught the best of the period during which the pieces were in place. It all becomes a silly exercise in listening to the sound of one's own echo, and pretty much as useful to either the other viewers or even the shooter.

Pictures like this are to be enjoyed, not second-guessed for better or for worse. Jeez, we're all so good at hindsight and editing other peoples photography.

Rob C

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:27:23 am »

The right moment...

And that's the moment I lose it with critique: how the hell can anyone other than the shooter know that was the right moment? Only the shooter can know what went before, came after or whether she caught the best of the period during which the pieces were in place. It all becomes a silly exercise in listening to the sound of one's own echo, and pretty much as useful to either the other viewers or even the shooter.

Pictures like this are to be enjoyed, not second-guessed for better or for worse. Jeez, we're all so good at hindsight and editing other peoples photography.

Rob C

I completely agree with you Rob - except I think you could have put it in a slightly less grumpy way!  :)

Jim

seamus finn

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 06:19:56 am »

It's one of those images that has that so elusive,  so hard to define look - when you see it, you just know it's right. Well done.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 05:51:28 pm »

The right moment...

Rob C

Grumpy or inane, it matters not to me. The observation wasn't meant as a criticism but rather as a accolade. Sheese!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 12:35:40 am »

Classic! Love it.

Julie

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 03:30:59 am »

Grumpy or inane, it matters not to me. The observation wasn't meant as a criticism but rather as a accolade. Sheese!

Chris, it was't meant to be grumpy and I don't read it that way still.

Further, there's no suggestion that your line meant it as a 'criticism' which isn't the same thing as a critique. The problem. which I stated was mine, lies in it's similarity to so may other such writings that make ridiculous assumptions about situations of which the writer can know nothing.

You obviously meant it as a compliment, and a straight compliment is always acceptable and welcomed, at least by any author other than a disturbed one; it's when stuff is read into an image and fanciful claims made for it that things go awry - but then this sort of section is always full of such nonsense, be it about things such as 'timing' - this instance - or as bad, if not worse, alternative ideas get bandied about as to where the shooter should have stood, the lens choice he should have made etc. et bloody cetera.

If there's an exception, I'd suggest it's when the writer is more familiar, either personally or through private writing or conversation, with the shooter. And even then I think it's a doubtful idea to second-guess a photograph's intent. For a start, there's no reason at all why a photograph should have any intent: in my own case, pretty much all of my cellpix in Prejudice happen from a moment of pretty much subliminal recognition of something that's hardly verbalised in my head at all, simply a reaction, though the alternative, where I find myself walking around with a caption in my mind does lead to finding a picture to record. Yes, simply record from the visible possibilities around me at the time.

Photography is full of such imprecise, passing thoughts - why waste time offering answers or solutions to things that are neither question nor problem?

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:07:25 am by Rob C »

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 06:33:36 am »

Photography is full of such imprecise, passing thoughts - why waste time offering answers or solutions to things that are neither question nor problem?

Because people here are asking for it?

Some people post for critique because they want feedback, through which they will sift and look for things that resonate with them.  When someone asks, "would it have been better/more interesting/whatever if you had done this/that/or the other" it doesn't matter whether they knew the situation or the circumstances.  To them, something about the image drew a question and, in response to being asked for their opinion, they post it.  The photographer can accept, reject, or something else entirely.  It may, indeed, cause them to think about that particular point and the next time they're shooting they may try something else and from that, learn.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:40:51 am by Farmer »
Phil Brown

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 08:21:30 am »

Just as an aside as I really don't wish to start a dialogue on semantics or even the clarification each persons intent; but I was quite deliberate in using the definite article, "the" to provide specificity as a way of clarifying my observational intent. I've always ascribed to the 4-step critique method by which a work is first described, second analyzed, third interpreted and lastly, evaluated. I only used evaluation in this as the other steps in the face of such a good shot only seemed redundant. I answerd no questions, and offered no solutions; I only made observations concerning waiting, simplicity and nonchalance.

Where I find difficulty in any forum is trying to define the semantic differences between critique and criticism. It's quite difficult to find a description of one or the other that doesn't mix metaphors, so to speak. They are almost one in the same but as a teacher, I tried to immerse my students in the concept of looking first, questioning second, then offering critique. Critique is almost always defined as the art of constructive criticism. It may be in this instance, the shooter shot several frames and picked this one as the most representative, thus the seed of an idea that there was a right moment; that either by observation or selection, there was one moment which superceded the others in pose, lighting, or simple ambience.

User Critiques to me would suggest an observer make comments based on something similar to my 4-step method, with the understanding that once the first thought is "uttered-thusly written," it is a form of criticism: good, bad or indifferent. If photos in this section are only to be enjoyed either by foresight or hindsight and not "second guessed or offered an edit," then one must create a new forum page called, "Just Look." I visit one forum which offers the photographer the option of having the work critiqued or not. This may also be a solution to clarifying the selection or intent of the artist and offering the observer an opportunity for comment - or not.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 09:14:57 am »

Because people here are asking for it?Some people post for critique because they want feedback, through which they will sift and look for things that resonate with them.  When someone asks, "would it have been better/more interesting/whatever if you had done this/that/or the other" it doesn't matter whether they knew the situation or the circumstances.  To them, something about the image drew a question and, in response to being asked for their opinion, they post it.  The photographer can accept, reject, or something else entirely.  It may, indeed, cause them to think about that particular point and the next time they're shooting they may try something else and from that, learn.
Okay - so what's the meaning of life, how long is a piece of string?

The above questions are no more absurd than much of what passes for 'invitations' to critique; let's not even consider the responses, just read 'em.

Enjoy, and expand the mind; thrilling adventures await!

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up