Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Shift After Sending .RAW file from LR4.1 to edit in PS6?!?  (Read 6836 times)

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com

I have been working with LR to PS edits for some time - early LR3/PS4 etc. etc. - and never a problem with any color changes from the view within LR and the view in PS. I recently installed PS6 Master Collection (just prior had been editing .raw files from LR4 in PS5) - and after sending the .raw file (.orf) into PS6 the image looks like someone had moved a "tint slider" about ten units to the green.  I've looked into every colorspace issue, recalibrated, checked a number of forums and the LuLa LR4 tutorials and LuLa colorspace tuts as well - and can't find a fix. If I export the file as an original .raw - and then open up in PS through ACR e.g., the same color shift appears. I can send TIFFs from LR4 to edit in PS6 no problem. I can export the .raw file as a TIFF - and it looks fine in PS.  I have updated all the relevant software this afternoon. I'm using a Windows 7 machine/12 gigs ram/Core i7/Spyder3 Elite 4.0 Any help/comments/suggestions/directions would be very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:16:02 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Tony Jay

Re: Color Shift After Sending .RAW file from LR4.1 to edit in PS6?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:29:20 pm »

This is not a monitor calibration issue.

What is happening is that you are editing in Lr in one colour space - likely ProphotoRGB and then on sending the image into Ps it is being opened for editing in another colourspace - hence the colour shifts that you are noticing.

Ideally what you want to do is make sure that the export setup into Ps has ProphotoRGB selected and that Ps itself is set to edit in ProphotoRGB.

I am away from the computer that has all the image editing software on it otherwise I would guide you through the exact menus.
Other forum members may be able to give the details before I get back home.

Regards

Tony Jay

brandtb

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:35:44 pm »

thanks for feedback.  I've tried setting export e.g. to TIFF/ProPhoto/16bit...still same color shift.  I just exported some .rw2 files from a Lumix LX5...and they look fine once viewed in PS6.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:37:49 pm »

You need to confirm the colourspace that Ps is editing in as well.

Regards

Tony Jay

brandtb

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:59:44 pm »

In Edit/ColorSettings...working space is set to ProPhoto
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

degrub

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:08:33 pm »

just a couple guesses - different white point setting ? applying a profile (print, color space, soft proof, etc ) in one and not the other ?

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:18:50 pm »

This might also be a red herring but do your versions of Lr and ACR match?
If they don't then fixing that issue may solve the problem.

Regards

Tony Jay

brandtb

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:25:35 am »

acr 7.1/lr4.1
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Tony Jay

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:50:19 am »

Yes, the versions do match, nonetheless it is at this level that the problem lies since rendering the RAW file in Lr does not cause the colour shift in Ps.
Are you updating the XMP files before opening the RAW file in ACR/Ps - this allows ACR to know how to process and display the RAW file in ACR/Ps?
Try updating XMP data in Lr then open ACR and navigate to the file and open it through ACR and see whether the colour shift occurs.

Regards

Tony Jay

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:23:12 am »

So you’re doing the visual comparison in LR’s Develop module at 1:1 or greater (and the preview size matches that in Photoshop)?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

brandtb

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:04:23 pm »

I "think" the issue may be that LR4 has three options for Camera Profile...Adobe Standard, ACR4.4, and ACR4.3.  The default in LR4 Develop is the Adobe Standard which is truest to my "as shot" Olympus .orf raw files.  BUT, ACR is opening the .raw file with the ACR.4.4 as the default.  (ACR 7.1 ONLY has the ACR4.3 as another option in the camera profile drop down menu) So, when I hit "edit in" from LR4 - ACR's engine is sending the raw file to PS6 using ACR4.4 - and it looks different of course than the "Adobe Standard" profile in LR4.

THAT SAID I could not figure out how to get this additional "Adobe Standard" option for ACR...is there an easier way?
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:20 pm »

Brandt, I have done some digging on this issue.

Adobe Standard has been reported to give a somewhat magenta tinge to files with some cameras. Interestingly enough not everyone is bothered by this (maybe you are one), and are only noticing an issue when the image is rendered with a different profile.
If this is the case with your camera (raw files) then opening the image from Lr (using Adobe Standard) into Ps (using another profile) may well explain the wierd green colour shift that you are experiencing. This makes sense since green and magenta are roughly opposite on the colour wheel.
Try synchronizing the profiles and see if this solves the colour shift issue.
Perhaps, ultimately, you will need to generate a profile for your own camera before you are satisfied.

Regards

Tony Jay

brandtb

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 10:34:40 pm »

Thanks Tony. Yes, it all "works" when it's sync'd up. I will at some point probably create a cameral profile.  I am curious though as to why the "Adobe Standard" profile appears as option in LR4, but not in ACR 7? It seems like they would need to be loaded in both...
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 06:13:57 pm »

Yes, the versions do match, nonetheless it is at this level that the problem lies since rendering the RAW file in Lr does not cause the colour shift in Ps.
Are you updating the XMP files before opening the RAW file in ACR/Ps - this allows ACR to know how to process and display the RAW file in ACR/Ps?
Try updating XMP data in Lr then open ACR and navigate to the file and open it through ACR and see whether the colour shift occurs.

Regards

Tony Jay

I am using CS5 and ACR 6.3.. I tired to update to Version 6.7  but the install failed several time

How do I "update XMP files"

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Tony Jay

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 07:24:16 am »

...How do I "update XMP files"...

XMP files can be updated and written to in LR (synching metadata etc) and other applications.

BTW in the context of how you quoted my post updating the XMP files would not have solved the OP's issue but for me I was thinking on my feet as it were going through the possibilities from a first principle basis.
I got to solve the problem in the end but XMP files were not implicated.

Regards

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:05:23 am by Tony Jay »

brandtb

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 07:06:02 am »

Tony, thanks for input.  The problem was that the ACR 7.1 folder which should have the same camera profiles as the LR4... didn't in fact...only a small fraction.  I just copied all the camera profiles from the LR4 folder to the ACR 7.1 folder.  Don't know why...I assume the install was "corrupted" and that was reason...
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up