Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nubble Lighthouse at Dusk  (Read 6825 times)

MTGFender

Nubble Lighthouse at Dusk
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:14 am »

Another one of the iconic place in Maine where we've been for the road trip in the past 11 days.
P1 DF & IQ180 and Mamiya 35mm AF.

Cheers,
Pramote

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Nubble Lighthouse at Dusk
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:10:44 am »

Beautiful location and light.

francois

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:59:23 am »

I love this quiet and relaxing scene. The clouds give a subtle sense of movement…
Francois

MTGFender

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:49:16 pm »

Thanks Francois and Paulo for your kind comments.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 05:24:28 pm »

On a scale of 1 to 10, how upset would you be if I were to suggest cloning out the poles and wires?

Jeremy

MTGFender

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 06:28:52 pm »

I agree and don't like it either. I thought about removing it but this lighthouse is an iconic feature so I did not alter anything.
Thanks so much for your comment, my friend. Please feel free as the comment like this makes me a better photographer. I truly enjoy it :)
Pramote

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:43:58 am »

On a scale of 1 to 10, how upset would you be if I were to suggest cloning out the poles and wires?

I know you're not asking me, but 10, anyway.  :) A little realism doesn't hurt.
Pramote, I like the clouds and reflections: subtle elements that draw me in.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:08:56 am »

Love it!!

I prefer this one much more than the other lighthouse.  The utility poles don't bother me. I'd embrace them; they are part of the photo story.  The silky, long-exposure water ties together with the dusky sky to pull it all together.  The yellow-green color in the seaweed reinforces the colorful foliage near the lighthouse.  We see more than just the lighthouse tower. In this photo, we see the environment and the residence together in a complete scene.  As someone else suggested, the wispy clouds suggest movement towards the lighthouse.  The blurry reflection of the house and lighthouse tower in the water are nice details that become apparent only after more examination.  This is a really nice, multi-layered image that continues to reveal itself to the viewer.

How long was that exposure, because the clouds look to have a bit of blur in them too.  ...or is it just a really wide angle lens?
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

MTGFender

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 10:36:02 am »

Thanks Mark & Scott for your kind words.
It was a 1-minute exposure. The picture was taken ~ 20:45.

stamper

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:26:15 am »

Jeremy

and the little red hut.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 08:58:18 am »

and the little red hut.
Shucks! Why not clone out the whole set of buildings?   ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:33:08 am »

There wouldn't be any lighthouse then? ;) Seriously the red hut is oversaturated - imo - and obscurs what is the focal point of the image. At the very least it should be desaturated a little so that the eye is drawn to the lighthouse rather than the "blob of red"

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:52 pm »

There wouldn't be any lighthouse then? ;) Seriously the red hut is oversaturated - imo - and obscurs what is the focal point of the image. At the very least it should be desaturated a little so that the eye is drawn to the lighthouse rather than the "blob of red"
I was joking, but it is true that I hadn't noticed the red hut until you mentioned it.

What? How could I have missed that bright red hut? Well, since I'm partially "color blind," I judge things mostly by brightness rather than by color. But having found the red hut I can see that it would be pretty conspicuous to someone with normal vision.

I wonder: If you wavea red flag in front of a color-blind bull, will he ignore it?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Photo Op

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »

Seriously the red hut is oversaturated - imo - and obscurs what is the focal point of the image.

The hut IS red, really red. If anything the perspective may be a tad off, but.......

Heaving been there, nice shot!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:59:29 pm by Photo Op »
David

RawheaD

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 08:25:47 pm »

I can attest; the hut is VERY red :D

MTGFender

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 12:48:14 am »

Thanks friends for your comments.
The hut is very red as it is supposed to be. This is an iconic place and I don't want to alter anything unnecessary especially the color. "Nubble Lighthouse" is not only the lighthouse but it is lighthouse + Hut + Rock and water.

stamper

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 03:46:02 am »

That is fine if you want a literal out of camera rendering of the scene. But for most people who don't know the scene then in reality it somewhat spoils a potentially nice image. It is your choice to remain faithful to what you captured or "improve" the image by doing something about the red hut. Is it really that red in reality or did you boost the saturation?

stamper

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 03:52:11 am »

I can attest; the hut is VERY red :D

I take it this is you in the scene photographing it? If so then it is better to crop out the bottom right hand corner. In your rendering of the scene the hut is even more of a distraction and the blue is overwhelming. Try reducing the saturation. The building and telegraph pole on the left could also be cropped out.

rwolson

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 12:14:24 pm »

Thanks friends for your comments.
The hut is very red as it is supposed to be. This is an iconic place and I don't want to alter anything unnecessary especially the color. "Nubble Lighthouse" is not only the lighthouse but it is lighthouse + Hut + Rock and water.

Great image!  I like the clouds in your phot because they add so much interest. 

Also,  re: the powerlines;  they're part of the lighthouse charm.  I've cloned the lines out of a few of my images and felt I lost something.  BTW,  looks like you're bit after sunset and you missed all of the flashbulbs from the cellphone or point and shoot cameras.  I tried a longsot from Long Beach Ave a week ago Saturday night and watched a numerous flash moments. 

MTGFender

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »

Thanks Rich! I completely agree with your comment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up