Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAW file sharpness from Canon 5DMk2 vs. 5DMk3  (Read 6527 times)

Swede

RAW file sharpness from Canon 5DMk2 vs. 5DMk3
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:45:16 am »

My only digital camera so far has been the 5DMk2. I have now also gotten a 5DMk3. When I view the RAW files in Canon’s DPP straight from the camera I experience a different feel to the images from the Mk2 and Mk3. Color and contrast are not quite the same, since my eyes have been used to the Mk2 the new Mk3 RAW files don’t feel “right”. The worst thing is that the sharpness of the Mk3 RAW files appears to be lower than from my old Mk2. I have not yet ruled out the possibility of a front/back focus issue being at play. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
Re: RAW file sharpness from Canon 5DMk2 vs. 5DMk3
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:00:02 am »

Are you comparing the files at the image level, or 100% view?

If it's the latter - don't do that.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Swede

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:08:46 am »

I have looked at various magnifications. I assume the 5DMk3 may have a different anti-aliasing filter. But my perceived impression is that the old 5DMk2 RAWs gives a sharper apperance. After added sharpening it may be a different story.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:40:20 am »

When I got my 5D Mark 2, I ended up doing a focus adjustment on most of my lenses. That solved the disappointing sharpness issue. So rule that out first....
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

MrSmith

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:14:17 am »

i think there was a preview/sharpness issue with MKIII DPP that was fixed with an update?
download a trial of capture one and have a look at the files, canon files in C1 are better than DPP IMHO.

stevesanacore

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:00:08 am »

My guess is a software change for the raw preview or glitch in DPP. Most Canon users use LR, PS or C1 - don't know anyone who uses Canon's software. There have been updates to the camera firmware and software because of problems, so make sure everything is updated. Also focus on the LCD to eliminate AF calibration as an issue for your tests.
We don't know what we don't know.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:47:49 pm »

Something isn't right in your set up then.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:29:27 pm »

I would recommend doing some focus testing using live view focusing.  If you are looking for ultra critical sharpness, very few canon's or Nikons deliver best sharpness without calibration.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:17:08 am »

+1

I have the impression that the 5DIII should be a little bit sharper than the 5DII from testing I have seen.

Best regards
Erik

I would recommend doing some focus testing using live view focusing.  If you are looking for ultra critical sharpness, very few canon's or Nikons deliver best sharpness without calibration.
Erik Kaffehr

Swede

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:09:19 am »

I have now checked focus setup with the lens (500/4) and 5DMk3 and the conclusion is that a -3 micro adjustment can bump the sharpness a fraction. But the sharpness impression, or lack of sharpness impression compared to 5DMk2 to be correct, is still there. I use the same hands-on technique actually taking the pictures so that factor can be ruled out. The other option would be that the 5DMk3 reacts ‘differently’ in the field with a real live target in the viewfinder.

The 5DMk3 has firmware 1.1.3. and the DPP is ver. 3.11.31.0.

I realize that DPP is maybe not the preferred software for many but the relation between the results from the 5DMk2 and 5DMk3 should logically be similar regardless of selected software.

Can this be a Canon RAW conversion issue? Or is the difference in color and contrast straight from the cameras playing tricks with my eyes? I do also have Lightroom 3.6 and Photoshop 5 but I have not yet upgraded to the latest version hence my question if anyone has the same experience with Canon’s DPP.

billy

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 04:34:12 pm »

I have both cameras and found the same thing. You are correct, the 5dmk3 is softer than the 5dmk2. My guess is the AA filter is stronger. I am most
Likely gonna get the d800e because I do not have the ability to sharpen the final image my clients use and pre sharpening is obviously not a good thing.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:08:30 am »

The 5D3 problem with DPP was soft rendering when 'High Quality" was selected (Under preferences/general). High Speed option seemed to fix the soft rendering. Im not sure if the latest version of DPP has this issue sorted.

For the record my 5d3 seems as sharp as my 1DS3 at base ISO using L4. The 5D3 has a slightly mushy look at ISO 1600 and over.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:21:02 am »

The 5D3 problem with DPP was soft rendering when 'High Quality" was selected (Under preferences/general).

Good point. It seems wise to only judge actual Raw conversions, not on screen renderings, before claiming differences between camera models. I'm not sure if the OP has done that, or has only looked at the DPP preview.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

billy

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:25:50 am »

Guys, I am almost positive it is a hardware issue; the 5D3 is just softer than the 5D2. I also compared it to my 1Dsmk3, which was sharper than all of them. I appreciate your efforts to help the OP, but lets not over think this.

MrSmith

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:20 pm »

i see no difference in sharpness between mkII and III when processed (in capture 1)
there is no need to 'over think'
first you have to eliminate the software by checking processed files from different software.
then see if you can borrow another mkIII to check if it's your camera.
if it is then send it back to canon, if it's the software process in something else.
if you perceive there's a real difference between II and III then either deal with it or sell the camera now without losing too much money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up