Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanner advice  (Read 2163 times)

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Scanner advice
« on: July 08, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »

Hello friends,

I am considering the purchase of a scanner for various type of films and also for reflective media. The general consensus seems to be Epson Perfection V750M Pro scanner, but I realized it was released on 2006 and is a bit "outdated". Does anyone have a better alternative on that price range or know if something like that will be released soon? As we are couple of months away from Photokina and I am not in a desperate need, may be it would be better to wait a bit more.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Scanner advice
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:01:57 am »

The market for flatbed scanning has been decreasing for years, so don't expect any major new models any time soon (if ever ?).
The V750 has a very good reputation as being the best currently available , so just buy one when you need to start scanning.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:08:34 am »

The market for flatbed scanning has been decreasing for years, so don't expect any major new models any time soon (if ever ?).
The V750 has a very good reputation as being the best currently available , so just buy one when you need to start scanning.

Agreed. The 750 is excellent for film and reflective, and I am not sure what "new" features you expect in a "more modern" scanner.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:03:59 am »

Unless you specifically need the liquid mounting, you can save yourself a couple of hundred dollars with buying just the V700. If you decide later you need the liquid mounting, there are "better" third party options available.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 11:44:53 am »

Thanks.
I am sure it is an excellent scanner, I just dont want to buy something right before it gets discontinued and replaced... But I guess we will never know before it happens.
The V700 seems excellent also, but the fluid monting is something I want to try.

Thanks again.

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:16:08 am »

Even though it has it as part of its name, the Epson is not a *pro* scanner. I have successfully scanned 4" x 5" for prepress output on consumer scanners, but would want to use a dedicated film scanner for smaller formats.

If 120 and 35mm are your priorities for film scanning, I suggest finding a *proper* scanner, such as an older Minolta, Nikon or Polaroid. Much better results, even from something like a SprintScan 2700 (first film scanner i ever bought—one of the first in Australia), available on eBay for a song.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Isaac

Pages: [1]   Go Up