Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading from my 7 year old intel Mac 2.0 to que? D800 files painfully slow  (Read 1586 times)

idenford

Ahhhh, 8 gigs of ram...should I upgrade to 16 or 32..really challenged here... 4 drive bays with a terra byte each...new NEC spectravision monitor, I really don't want to spend 3 grand on upgrading....would even consider switching to PC but seems too complicated to update licenses for the software... Any auggestions? Running Lightroom 4 and cs5 plus a couple of Nik software plug ins...

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com

would even consider switching to PC but seems too complicated to update licenses for the software
A lot of newer Adobe software has cross-platform licence numbers now. Changing OS really isn't an issue either way, excepting if you use something that only runs on one platform.

lfeagan

I am confused. Do you already own a NEC SpectraView? My MBP 2010 has 8GB of RAM and other than stitched panos, the RAM isn't a performance factor. I also have a very fast SSD drive. Importing/processing many large files from a D800 simply requires a lot of CPU horsepower. If you are importing to a dedicated drive or RAID array, disk performance shouldn't be an issue as you are only writing around 40MB/photo sequentially.

What specifically is slow? More specific input and less rant will net you more useful feedback.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up