Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewing images in Lightroom 4  (Read 1433 times)

AndreG

• photohippique.com
Viewing images in Lightroom 4
« on: July 08, 2012, 10:47:42 am »

Hi,
Since LTR4 the viewing at one to one is much slower, even if the previews have been created before hand. Does it transfert the task to the video card? The computer OS is Windows 7, two XEON dual cores, 32Gb of memory...

I process
Then I would now need an upgrade from my HD 6900 ?

Thanks

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Viewing images in Lightroom 4
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:51:53 pm »

Does it transfert the task to the video card?
No, a better video card won't help you much. LR doesn't yet use GPU acceleration.

There have been many threads and much discussion here about slow performance in LR4 and the general consensus is that CPU performance makes the most significant difference*. You need fast clock rates and as many cores as you can afford.
Dual core Xeons are getting quite old in CPU terms now and depending on clock speed may(will) be significantly slower than contemporary CPUs.

AndreG

• photohippique.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »

Thanks for taken the time to answer. The information really does help me quite a lot.

I hope that they will optimize the code and yes, a new computer is on the books but keeping up is quite expensive.

Thanks again.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:05:02 pm »

I hope that they will optimize the code
Make sure you report your problems to Adobe directly. The more pressure to improve, the higher the likelihood of them taking action.

Also make sure you're running the latest version, 4.1, it's significantly better than 4.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up