Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stairs  (Read 2953 times)

amolitor

Stairs
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:05:58 pm »

I think this is the photo Dave said he liked.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Stairs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:11:34 pm »

Sorry, but this wasn't the one I meant, the one I meant was taken from inside the building looking out towards the fire escape - although having just trawled all the way through your flickr photostream again, you have quite a few images in there that I really liked, such as this one of another damned bannister at another damned train station.

In fact the more I look, the more I like  :)

Dave

amolitor

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:35:30 pm »

Oohhhh! You found my flickr, not my picasa ;) The flickr's just a pile of random stuff, with the better family snapshots and miscellaneous jumbled in with "serious" efforts and so on. I'm glad you're finding things to like. I like the fire escape one too, now that I look at it. I'll attach it here, since it's actually got a lot in common with the thing at the top of the thread.

I liked a fair number of the things I did the the cell phone back in the day too.

Thank you, Dave! I'm glad you like some of my randomly selected stuff. Ignore everything from the transbay terminal, since it's all cheating. You could throw your camera at the floor and get a fantastic photograph in that place (now gone, alas).

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:07:07 am »

Yes that's the one  :)

Dave

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:08:04 pm »

Beautiful lines. Wonderful use of negative space. Interesing variation in textures of lines and shapes - all based around the straight linear form. Intersting questions arise about where the outside stairs are leading....which are extremely steep actually I think. Just wondering though if it was printed whether all the black in the lower left corner would end up being 'muddy and blobby' because it seems to be just all black witout any tonal difference .. but hey... it doesn't matter for on screen for me.

Julie

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 03:44:54 am »

Julie's post lends weight to the argument elsewhere that print is dead. Maybe it is, for most of the purposes to which we now apply a camera.

My HP is currently lying lit 24/24, using up expensive inks simply to service itself, and Hahne paper lies testing longevity without as much as an image upon its pristine surface.

Once, nobody in their right mind would have shot film without intending to make or have made a print. That paradigm passed with the film.

In a sense, it's a liberating experience, but only because of the computer which allows the picture to be seen elsewhere; if digital captures aren't even put into the computer, then we really do have a problem, not of photography per se but of photographers themselves.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:35:42 am »

Been coming back to this one for some time now Andrew. It's a graphic hit. The more I look at it the better I like it.

With respect to Julie's concern, when I consider how I'd print it, to make sure there's no "blobbiness" I'd drive the door into deep clipping mode: R=0, G=0, B=0; in other words, dead black. On screen it looks as if, for all practical purposes, it's already there. On Hot Press Bright, out of my Epson 3880 the black would stay black and the print would be striking.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 11:03:57 am »

I concur with previous comments, yep. A print of this would live or die on the quality of the blacks, and it's got be bold and flat and deep.

Even if there was texture to be had in the raw or something, I wouldn't want it. That hallway is in a dreadful old building doing duty as a hotel in Port Townsend, WA, and there's nothing down there to look at that would add anything. The best I could do it turn it from a strong graphical image into a weak picture of an old hallway.

I'm liking it better too, the more I look at it. This was kind of in the second-string semi-keepers from that trip, but I think I misjudged it initially, and it might be the best thing I shot. There was some other stuff I was REALLY WORKING AT that's ok, and of course I loved it more, but in the fullness of time I come to see that it's not as good.

Thanks for the commentary, as always, everyone!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:46:05 pm »

Been coming back to this one for some time now Andrew. It's a graphic hit. The more I look at it the better I like it.

Told you didn't I? ;D

I Like these as well Reyes fence, Overhead, Winter, Graffiti.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up