Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MBP vs MBPR  (Read 17689 times)

buckshot

Re: MBP vs MBPR
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 10:12:20 am »

I was ready to pull the trigger on a MBPR until I read that (due to the inherent difficulty in recycling some of the components e.g. the glued-in battery) Apple has decided to remove itself from the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) - the leading green consumer electronics standard. Too busy counting all the cash they're sitting on to give a s**t about the planet I guess.

Not sure this would have happened if Jobs was still at the helm ... he at least recognised that an environmentally concious business model is a good thing, both from a financial perspective, and an ethical one.

Kinda ironic that landscape photographers seem to be at the front of the queue to buy this.

pco98

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 02:08:17 pm »

Here is the link to external RAID 0 SSDx4 thunderbolt tests compared with SAS from Bare Feats - http://www.barefeats.com/tbolt01.html

Point 3 of their insights is interesting, suggesting TB is not reaching its theoretical top performance. Also bear in mind this is with 4 SSDs in TB configuration. Two internal ones on the new MacBook Pro are easily outperforming this expensive setup as you need to buy the Pegasus R4 with HDDs first then replace with SSDs.

Am curious to see if OWC's TB solution overcome this but that probably won't come out until later in the year.

mac_paolo

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 05:01:29 pm »

Not sure this would have happened if Jobs was still at the helm ... he at least recognised that an environmentally concious business model is a good thing, both from a financial perspective, and an ethical one.
It was definitely on Jobs' schedule and plan. Jobs touch will be tangible for 2-3 years or so, at least.
Been said that, I didn't like that much this move as well.

pco98

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 04:22:59 pm »

I was also initially a bit disappointed by this too but there maybe more to this than initial impressions. Recent posting on MacRumors suggested that EPEAT itself may be a little out of touch:

The Loop's Jim Dalrymple notes that even EPEAT acknowledges that many of its standards are outdated, with Apple apparently believing that those criteria have become too restrictive and do not address the full gamut of the company's environmental commitments.

lfeagan

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 05:57:35 pm »

Even if many of EPEAT's standards are out of date, I doubt that they will (or should) remove easily replaceable batteries as part of their standard for laptops. Dead batteries are extremely common in older machines and replacement with a working battery is an important part of refurbishing a laptop so that it can continue to be used. I have a laptop that is on its third battery that I still use, admittedly as a very basic machine. The machine is a ThinkPad T42p and is nearly 8 years old. While it isn't any speed demon, it is just fine for web browsing running Linux.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 03:40:43 pm »

I was ready to pull the trigger on a MBPR until I read that (due to the inherent difficulty in recycling some of the components e.g. the glued-in battery) Apple has decided to remove itself from the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) - the leading green consumer electronics standard.

This just in:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167678/apple_returns_products_to_epeat_registry.html
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

K.C.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 01:07:58 am »

One of the most telling lines from the MW article, "...it also seems likely Apple has maneuvered to get what it wants: more input into the updated standard."

As the masters of controlling their image that they are, Apple made a smart move and now has lots of free publicity as well.

elolaugesen

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 06:10:39 pm »

What is the color quality on theMBPR. 8-bit? Or 6- bit like  LCD on older power books.  The day they come out with 16 million of colors I will cheer and buy.?    My old MBP machine and cinema screen still work.
Cheers. Elo

lfeagan

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 07:29:50 pm »

What is the color quality on theMBPR. 8-bit? Or 6- bit like  LCD on older power books.  The day they come out with 16 million of colors I will cheer and buy.?    My old MBP machine and cinema screen still work.
Cheers. Elo

It uses a true 8-bit panel (finally). I haven't yet gotten my hands on an ICC profile to analyze. Creating one will be one of the the first things I do when mine arrives, hopefully in a few weeks (fingers crossed).
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

mediumcool

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »

The screen on the Retina is finally an IPS. While the TNs on other Apple laptops have been good examples of the technology in recent years, there is no comparison if you will be relying on the screen for consistent colour, brightness and contrast.

I will be acquiring a RMBP as soon as I can afford one. It would replace both my 13MBP and my iMac.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

elolaugesen

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 02:46:32 am »

what colour standard does the  new MBPR Retina Display meet   sRGB or AdobeRGB etc......?????

cheers elo

mediumcool

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2012, 03:27:32 am »

what colour standard does the  new MBPR Retina Display meet   sRGB or AdobeRGB etc......?????

QUOTE:
While the gamut of the Retina display is a good match to sRGB already, calibration made improvements to the white point and gamma which were crucial to getting good matching to a high end desktop display. Visual match to my calibrated desktop displays is excellent with the Retina display MacBook Pro.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up