Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1D X  (Read 10853 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1D X
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:27:20 am »

Are there any reviews of the 1D X and it's video output around?

Kevin.
Kevin.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: 1D X
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »

Not seen any,

I tried it quickly, seems like a fantastic stills camera, not the specs but just in the hand, fast shutter action and all, stupid ISO, well made, up there with my D3..

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:08:20 pm »

Not seen any,

I tried it quickly, seems like a fantastic stills camera, not the specs but just in the hand, fast shutter action and all, stupid ISO, well made, up there with my D3..

S
I tried it at a show several months ago and thought it very good too.
I'm surprised there are not any tests of the video performance all over the web.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:34:12 pm »

For me with no HF jack and mini HDMI it would not come onto my (video or video and stills) radar at that price point - I guess others feel the same?

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:11 pm »

Kevin.

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=12111

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 05:58:53 pm »

Basic user overview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35h9EcCxqZI

Same lucky guy unboxing it before hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BOaGxi5Bh4

bcooter

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:08 pm »

As long as there is a 5d series at half price, the advanced amateur, indie film maker and even professional photographer will buy the $3,800 camera over the $6,900 camera in rations of a trillion to 1.

At first I liked the idea of the 1dx, but once you look into the specs for video you need better sound sampling/mixing, more than one sound  channel and cough, choke, cough, even face tracking autofocus and a raw or semi raw 4k file.

Then 6 grand makes more sense.

For stills I don't, probably never will need anything past 20 mpx., and for stills the 5d series is off the wall good.  The camera may be as bland as the Kardashian's latest press release announcing their recent pedicure, but it still is a heck of a deal in the world of digital cameras.

IMO

BC

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 05:44:16 pm »

As long as there is a 5d series at half price, the advanced amateur, indie film maker and even professional photographer will buy the $3,800 camera over the $6,900 camera in rations of a trillion to 1.

At first I liked the idea of the 1dx, but once you look into the specs for video you need better sound sampling/mixing, more than one sound  channel and cough, choke, cough, even face tracking autofocus and a raw or semi raw 4k file.

Then 6 grand makes more sense.

For stills I don't, probably never will need anything past 20 mpx., and for stills the 5d series is off the wall good.  The camera may be as bland as the Kardashian's latest press release announcing their recent pedicure, but it still is a heck of a deal in the world of digital cameras.

IMO

BC

mr BC,  i don't believe you don't need more than 20mp??
don't you get times when the client chooses that full length shots an say the would like to use just the head of the person- or when you shoot a horizontal and they crop in for a vertical?
this has been the biggest hassle for me recently- i would just love enough res to help this.
I have my p65/contax, but honestly - it is such a limited system- i can use it for about 60% of my shots- the rest of the time i just don't have the iso. So when the d800 came out and i heard really great things about it- canons 1dx announcement has been the biggest disappointment..
the 5dmk3 is a more useable camera for me.
but i do feel canon has left the "professional" commercial/advertising market for cameras and is only interested video and sports photographers.
nikon is better focused for my needs- and if they use the d800 sensor in a d4 body- then they will have the best camera by a long shot.

paul

check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

billy

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:46:49 pm »

yeah i gotta agree with Paul. I am canon shooter and have always had the 1D series body but for now I am staying with the 5Dmk3. Might switch to Nikon if canon doesn't make above soon.

bcooter

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 04:49:34 pm »

Paul,

No I really don't . . . ever need more than 20 mpx.   I use to fret over this stuff, but now I just shoot with what I have and would probably buy a 1dx, but now just don't need to.

The funny thing is buying a d800 would be the least expensive thing I've bought in years and I have two full sets of Nikon lenses, the new ones that don't have the f stop on them and the old manual ones I use for motion, so it's not like I don't have what I'd need to do it.

I've owned every nikon digital except the D3x and the d8000 and honestly in low light I like most of them and the focus is better, but I don't like the color and I find it takes more time in post to hit color.

Maybe the d3x and d8000 have better color.

I also don't like that when you tether a Nikon you can't see the image on the back of the camera.

To me that's just a drag to constantly walk over to the monitor and reivew the early polaroids.

But that's just me and I shoot people.

I really believe that the last 10 years of photography will be known as the oversharpened era.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:01:30 pm by bcooter »

stewarthemley

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 05:19:57 pm »

I really believe that the last 10 years of photography will be known as the oversharpened era.

BC

Painfully bloody true. I find it embarrasing looking back over my early digital stuff. If only I knew what I know (think) now...

What I have learnt - I think, but I'm not conviced it's really sunk in yet, ie, changes my daily decisions - is that CONTENT is king.

Maybe one day the brain will connect with the heart? And maybe one day elephants will fly. Maybe.

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 04:55:07 pm »

Kevin.

http://philipbloom.net/2012/08/14/1dx-2/

This new review has some good details...

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 11:54:23 am »

I like a lot of what Mr. Bloom does, I also think Canon have hold of a number of his strings, so I take his reviews of Canon gear not over seriously. When things like "filmic" and "I can't put my finger on it" appear in reviews I get a tad suspicious or it might be case of seeing more and better N-Rays.

Kevin.
Kevin.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 12:34:24 pm »

OK I've bought one. It looks the best solution for what I need. I'm thinking the fast data handling will help with the rolling shutter and I need a low light camera and I need decent stills, which is my main income.
So lets hope it works out.

Kevin.
Kevin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up