Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A moment of light....Dunstanburgh Castle  (Read 7275 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
A moment of light....Dunstanburgh Castle
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:20:10 pm »

Northumberland last week...the storm clouds gather

Dunstanburgh Castle...Dusk by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

dreed

Re: A moment of light....Dunstanburgh Castle
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »

For me, the lower left of the picture pulls my eye there and distracts me from everything else in the picture, even though it is dark. I have to concentrate to focus (sic) my attention on something else.

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 04:11:09 pm »

Wonderful image with great depth.
Actually the eye is drawn to those beautiful round wet rocks and from there into the rest of image.
The light is stupendous and the moment dramatic.

Congratulations.

Regards

Tony Jay

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »

Northumberland last week...the storm clouds gather

It's a fantastic shot and the light is gorgeous. However, while I agree that the foreground rocks are essential, I think there are too many of them. I think it looks better, more balanced, with a little less on the left and on the bottom.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:06:13 pm »

It's a fantastic shot and the light is gorgeous. However, while I agree that the foreground rocks are essential, I think there are too many of them. I think it looks better, more balanced, with a little less on the left and on the bottom.

Jeremy
But it needs the rocks in shadow, so cropping won't improve it. Of course, if at some magic moment the sun were just on the castlle and some of the rocks nearer to it, then it might be a better shot.

But, as it's not easy to control sun and clouds, I'll take it just as it is. Beautiful!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

churly

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:24:36 pm »

I like your interpretation just as is.  The focal point is the light on the cliff and the foreground light leading in.  The castle is an observer of the light in the same way that the viewer is.  Well done.
Chuck Hurich

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:46:53 am »

But it needs the rocks in shadow, so cropping won't improve it.

It needs some rocks in shadow, I agree. I wasn't suggesting a major crop; just a bit off (as I say to my barber).

Jeremy

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:36:36 am »

In terms of composition, there would be possibilities for various interpretations, but the light is fantastic.

francois

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 05:34:02 am »

I join the others, the very nice light and the foreground rocks steal the show. You could drop Dunstanburgh Castle from the title!
Francois

shaunw

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:44:55 am »

Dreed Tony Jay, Kikashi, Eric, Churly, Paulo & Francois...thanks for your thoughts/comments i shall consider all the points raised before coming back to it before print. Couple of thoughts from me....i hope i captured the warm diffuse light that comes with heavily clouded skies/storms? i Hoped the dry rocks wet rocks shoreline castle lead in worked? i hope the image suggests the vital third element depth.

Regards Shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 11:44:47 am »

i hope i captured the warm diffuse light that comes with heavily clouded skies/storms?
No, and I think that has a lot to do with those comments about being distracted by the foreground cobbles. The light seems more like hard-edged California high noon than late evening Northumberland (even in summer). The contrast in the left foreground seems to go from inky black to white. Perhaps those blacks could be pulled back to dark greys, and the contrast toned down a notch - it'll still be contrasty enough.

(Incidentally the Flickr title says dusk but the sun hasn't set so it isn't twilight yet, let alone dusk.)

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 02:42:56 pm »

I get upto Dunstanburgh a lot. Best time is the golden hours at dawn or late evening. I always wait till the tide is going out. That way the rocks get wet and the sun glints of them. Skys great colours are excellent. Ever tried a mono version? Only ask as im a mono nut and that sky would look amazing.

Mick

Jon Meddings

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 06:33:43 pm »

Absolutely a stunning image Shaun - makes me feel I am there!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:08:46 pm »

Leave it as is - it's wonderful! The line of surf does catch the eye, but it makes the castle even more significant because it "sneaks up on you" after also looking at the foreground rocks.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Richard Naismith

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 01:08:31 am »

Well done. A wonderful image. One could always wish for some further subtlety in the light, but that's hard to arrange(!). I sometimes try photographing monkeys in India and they also don't always co-operate.

All the best.

Richard Naismith

shaunw

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 04:38:07 am »

I get upto Dunstanburgh a lot. Best time is the golden hours at dawn or late evening. I always wait till the tide is going out. That way the rocks get wet and the sun glints of them. Skys great colours are excellent. Ever tried a mono version? Only ask as im a mono nut and that sky would look amazing.

Mick

Yes i like to work in mono myself just finishing Bamburgh castle in mono, ive not converted this one yet but i think it will work well. Yes last time at this location was pre dawn to get the classic dawn shot ( as you describe), sea fog ended that one but enabled good dawn shots from Lindesfarne. Yes i agree either side of dawn and sunset produce superb colours light and generally atmosphere....but its not the only time to shoot for colour, i think because i shoot for mono a lot iam not as fixed, or willing to be fixed to the classic timings.

There was another factor.....this shot was taken whilst on family hols the boss lady stated an out right, no to 3:00am starts....lol 

Shaun

shaunw

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 04:41:48 am »

John Terry & Richard...thanks very much guys.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 06:03:38 pm »

It's a great capture and has lots of possibilities.

I'd be inclined to make it a square format by coming in a fair distance from the left edge.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."
Pages: [1]   Go Up