Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want a QR Code to display for summer art fair circuit: which is best source?  (Read 9074 times)

Codger

That pretty well summarizes it.  I'm doing a half dozen outdoor events and I'd like the visitors to my double tent to be able to link to my website and my gallery.  I'd appreciate any insights, warnings and suggestions.  Codger 

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

Just one big warning.  One of the best ways to kill sales at an art fair is to advertise that you have a web site or other venues.

I'm not making this up.  Art fairs are all about impulse buying while the initial, visceral impression of your piece burns hot in the buyer's veins.  But how fast they can cool down, and how fast they will forget you in the inundation of other art fair offerings.  The knowledge that a web site exists defers the buying impulse for various reasons such as the possibility that an ever nicer image or a greater range of similar choices might be available.  Potential buyers at an art fair absolutely want to be sure they are buying the "best" possible image, not just something that's left over.  But by the time they leave the art fair, it's all over.  You have to keep your clients focused on here and now if you want to sell.  Yes, you may hear from a small percentage of these people later, but they will be the exception to the rule.

I never mention either website or galleries until somebody is walking away empty handed, then I make certain they hear about both.  On my business card my website is listed in the smallest available type.

And here's a old-timer's hint...if you decide to offer post cards with your name and URL on them, you only have to print up 1/4 the amount you think you need!  Just go to the trash cans by the exits every few hours and recover the ones dumped there by people who picked up the card because they thought it made you feel good, or as an excuse to escape the booth without buying.

Codger

Bill, your comment makes a lot of sense.  I had initially thought the QR would show me as being "credible," what with having a website and all.  I'll mull this overnight, but I'm inclined to concede your point: I do want to make sales "right now" at the outdoor event.  Thanks.   

Meanwhile, any other thoughts, readers?

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography

I walk a dozen or so large art fairs every year and have seen so many blown sales by artists that would make you sick. Mainly because the artists just can't stop running off at the mouth.

Bill is absolutely right with his comments. When you have a warm body anywhere near your ready-to-sell art NEVER discuss your web site, future work, education, gallery existence, magazines you've been featured in, photo gear, scene location, their photography prowess, the weather, their cute poodle they're cuddling, or the dripping ice cream cone their offspring is slurping over your print rack. Well, you may want to quickly cover the print rack with something.

Point is you have paid good money and time for that minute or two they're deciding to spend their budget on your work. Some customers do need to have direct questions answered. But the more you limit your vocabulary to "Cash or Charge?" the better off you'll be.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com

Bill is absolutely correct. Follow-ups by people who don't buy at the show are virtually nil. Sometimes people who specifically ask for a card will follow up with a purchase, but even that is rare.
- Dean

JBerardi

Bill, your comment makes a lot of sense.  I had initially thought the QR would show me as being "credible," what with having a website and all.  I'll mull this overnight, but I'm inclined to concede your point: I do want to make sales "right now" at the outdoor event.  Thanks.   

I think it mostly marks you as guy who has an ugly bar code on his stuff for no apparent reason. The vast majority of people have no idea what QR codes are even for.

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

Ray R

If you are going to use a QR Code in view of the other posts.

I think that QR Codes are becoming more common, and you will find them being used for all sorts of things.

If you wanted to use one, then you should consider using a tracking service, and a shortened URL

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2011/08/18/tracking-qr-codes-google-anaytics/

This would give you an idea of how many times it is being accessed and you can create one for each show etc.

Ray

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life

Just go to the trash cans by the exits every few hours and recover the ones dumped there by people who picked up the card because...

Really? While not disputing the premise (most business cards/fair trinkets are indeed wasted), I am not sure frequent trashcan diving helps ones brand image...

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

Really? While not disputing the premise (most business cards/fair trinkets are indeed wasted), I am not sure frequent trashcan diving helps ones brand image...

For those too proud for outright dumpster diving, there is a less declasse option.  Show up at the wet bar and while the barista is pouring your tonic over the ice cubes, stealthily recover a few cards from the little bin normally intended for used maraschino cherry toothpicks.  But seriously, we're talking about art fairs here.  There's an invisible sign above the artist entrance saying "Abandon image all ye who enter here."  It's all about money.  And dang it, I can't find the famous .jpg of Donald Trump dumpster diving!
Pages: [1]   Go Up