Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NIK HDR and ACR, CS6  (Read 18557 times)

walter.sk

NIK HDR and ACR, CS6
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:15:46 pm »

I open the latest version of Photoshop CS6 64 bits, with the latest version of ACR, using Windows 7.  I select 3 raw files (CR2) in Bridge, right click on them, and click on NIK Software.  I then click on Merge to NIK HDR Efex Pro, tell the NIK dialogue box to align and de-ghost the images, and watch the three images come up in CS6.  Then I watch the info box as NIK tells me it is aligning the images.  When that finishes, I get an error message, "The Command HDR Efex Pro is not currently available."

I have the latest version of NIK HDR, and just to make sure I uninstalled it, re-downloaded the latest version, and reinstalled it.  The result was identical. 

If I simply open the images in ACR and then open them in CS6, I can access NIK HDR Efex Pro through Filters>NIK Software>HDR Efex Pro, and they will get combined and NIK HDR will open the way it is supposed to.

Has anybody else experienced this problem opening RAW files from Bridge in NIK HDR Efex Pro?

stamper

Re: NIK HDR and ACR, CS6
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 04:01:44 am »

I suspect the program works on rendered images rather on raw ones?

sniper

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 04:35:36 am »

I had a lot of trouble getting Nik's HDR efects to work at all, so much so I gave up.  Is it 64 bit? I know a lot of things are not, do you have the latest version?

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:51:22 am »

Stamper and Sniper:

I am using the latest versions of CS6 and the NIK HDR Efex Pro.  I went back to the drawing board and did the following trials, all of which worked well except for CS6 64-bit.  I used the same RAW images in all trials, accessing NIK HDR Efex Pro by right-clicking the RAW files in Bridge, selecting NIK Software>Merge to NIK HDR Efex Pro.

Photoshop CS6 64-bit from Bridge:  Didn't work.
Photoshop CS6 32-bit from Bridge:  Did work.
Photoshop CS5 64-bit from Bridge:  Did work.
Photoshop CS5 32-bit from Bridge:  Did work.

I am now considering a repair-install of 64-bit PSCS6 and Bridge, and if that doesn't work, uninstalling the 64-bit Photoshop CS6 and 64-bit Bridge and doing a clean install.

What I am worried about with that is using up one of the deactivation/reactivations that Adobe allows.  Any thoughts?

walter.sk

Figured It Out!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 12:41:49 pm »

Before trying the reinstall I remembered an old issue with all versions of PS, and I opened it using Ctrl-Alt-Shift and deleted the settings file.  After CS6 opened I opened the Bridge and tried the same routine, selecting my 3 RAW images and right-clicking into NIK HDR Efex Pro.  Voila!  Everything opened just fine!  But now I have to reset all of the prefs again!

If I knew where the settings file lives on a Win7 machine, I'd make a backup of it so that I could replace it in case it gets corrupted again.

walter.sk

Whoops! Found the Culprit!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:40:12 pm »

After I reset my preferences in CS6 64-bit, I got the same problem back!  Using what little is left of my reasoning power I decided to start with a new prefs file and change my prefs one at a time until I found the one causing the trouble.

Believe it or not, regardless of any combination of prefs, the only one that kept me from going to the NIK HDR Efex Pro was unchecking the "Open Documents As Tabs."  Each time I checked it, everything worked fine.  Each time I unchecked it I got the problem back. 

The issue is that I HATE having files open as docked, but I guess I hate having the NIK HDR not work correctly even more.

I guess I should notify NIK about this interesting interaction.

WPalank

• William Palank Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 12:53:53 pm »

Just call Nik. Best Customer Service in the world IMHO. Phones open at 9AM PST.

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 03:10:45 pm »

I called NIK shortly after July 5, and was told they had no other complaints about the issue.  However, since then I have installed NIK HDR Efex Pro v2, and the problem is not there any more.

Peterretep

• http://www.mountainphotographics.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:18:06 am »

Just call Nik. Best Customer Service in the world IMHO. Phones open at 9AM PST.
My experience so far with their customer service is just the opposite. At the end of September 2012 I purchased NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 and asked customer service for help because the image in the adjustment window didn't even come close to the output HDR in CS5. All they did was to suggest resetting preferences which I did resulting in no improvement. I've tried several times to contact them and work this out but here it is November 15th with no resolution. Also no response to email I sent them Monday. In my opinion their Customer Service is severely lacking in service, follow through and communication.

No intentions of hijacking this thread, just wanted to react to that glowing post of WPalank's. Carry on.... :)

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up