Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Indecisive  (Read 3458 times)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Not Indecisive
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:21:59 am »

I know which of the four parts I like the best, however, I like the four-plex better.  What do you think?

Bruce

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Re: Not Indecisive
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:06:11 pm »

It's an interesting idea. I don't like the black outlines around the arm and face in the right-hand two, though.

Jeremy

amolitor

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:19:57 pm »

I find the underlying photograph quite creepy. This treatment probably just enhances that sensation. This might be deliberate?

The underlying photograph isn't working for me, possibly because I find it a bit creepy or possibly because I think it's a bit cheap. Sticking a bit of breast in a photograph raises the hackles a bit, and there doesn't seem to be much else going on in there.

The four-up treatment is definitely more powerful and evocative, and as such it's pretty successful. I'm not in love with what it evokes, though!

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:09:12 pm »

I find the underlying photograph quite creepy. This treatment probably just enhances that sensation. This might be deliberate?

The underlying photograph isn't working for me, possibly because I find it a bit creepy or possibly because I think it's a bit cheap. Sticking a bit of breast in a photograph raises the hackles a bit, and there doesn't seem to be much else going on in there.

The four-up treatment is definitely more powerful and evocative, and as such it's pretty successful. I'm not in love with what it evokes, though!

In as much as she is likely old enough to be your mother, you may indeed find biting her neck unsavory.  There is, however, little risk to her of such; she has long been among undead, at least in some metaphorical sense.  I'm glad the four-plex did something for you.  Next time I hope the under lying photo sets a higher standard for the 4-plex to be better than.

Bruce
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:19:54 pm by Bruce Cox »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »

It's an interesting idea. I don't like the black outlines around the arm and face in the right-hand two, though.

Jeremy

You may have a point about the lines around the arms to the right; they flatten out the space quite a bit.  I may work on them some and see what happens.  I like the line around the face; it makes the face stand out and keeps people from just looking at her breast.

Bruce

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:54:58 pm »

You might be surprised ;) This forum is simply CRAMMED with ancients. She would need to be about 60 to be biologically capable of being my mother, and actual mum would be 76 now. Anyways, it's not the age, it's the voyeuristic elements.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 07:18:56 pm »

Interesting image - thanks for posting. Is it supposed to be in landscape mode, as it appears? The effect of that is to turn it into an abstract, with representational content that is very much distanced, in a way I found slightly frustrating. Overall, I found the image not so interesting as an abstract and wanted to take a clear look at the person photographed. I am wondering what differential impact you intended on the content - the picture of a person - by duplicating it four times. I also found myself thinking that slight variations in the pose would be more interesting and that the treatment totally removed any erotic content.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:21:08 pm by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 06:57:48 pm »

Interesting image - thanks for posting. Is it supposed to be in landscape mode, as it appears? The effect of that is to turn it into an abstract, with representational content that is very much distanced, in a way I found slightly frustrating. Overall, I found the image not so interesting as an abstract and wanted to take a clear look at the person photographed. I am wondering what differential impact you intended on the content - the picture of a person - by duplicating it four times. I also found myself thinking that slight variations in the pose would be more interesting and that the treatment totally removed any erotic content.

Well, of course you're right.  The egg did come before the chicken.  Then again, I'm right about the chicken coming first, these days, for me.  And it is not to say I couldn't come up with a better chicken, later.

Bruce

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:48:42 pm »

A voyeuristic image, taken from a very domineering viewpoint of a sleeping and therefore vulnerable female, with her partly exposed breasts the obvious focus of your attention - yup I have to agree with Amolitor on this one - creepy!

I know I am being harsh, but I think it is worth it if there is a something to be learnt here and that is that we photographers have to use our cameras in a responsible and sensitive way, because every time someone does something questionable, we all end up being tarred with the same brush, so in a way whenever you take a photograph like this, it's as if we were all there with you taking the same photograph and I for one do not wish to take photographs like this.

I bet you haven't even told her this image exists, never mind posting it on the web for all to see, have you?

Dave  :(

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 09:39:52 pm »

The jarring sharpness and awkward viewpoint combined with the exposed breast and strange overall composition make for an unsettling creation. For better or worse I suppose. It doesn't ignite my soul, but it certainly...gives it sea sickness.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 04:06:38 am »

Never was able to pick up on the difference: is it the siren of an ambulance I hear down the road, or of the morality police?

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:24:10 am by Rob C »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 09:04:33 am »

A voyeuristic image, taken from a very domineering viewpoint of a sleeping and therefore vulnerable female, with her partly exposed breasts the obvious focus of your attention - yup I have to agree with Amolitor on this one - creepy!

I know I am being harsh, but I think it is worth it if there is a something to be learnt here and that is that we photographers have to use our cameras in a responsible and sensitive way, because every time someone does something questionable, we all end up being tarred with the same brush, so in a way whenever you take a photograph like this, it's as if we were all there with you taking the same photograph and I for one do not wish to take photographs like this.

I bet you haven't even told her this image exists, never mind posting it on the web for all to see, have you?

Dave  :(

She is flattered.

Bruce

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 05:04:11 pm »

I set off to work on the black outlines around the arms to the right as Kikashi suggested.  I ended up changing out the B&W section, with only a minor effect on the lines, and tweaking the color in general.

Bruce

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 04:00:37 am »

I set off to work on the black outlines around the arms to the right as Kikashi suggested.  I ended up changing out the B&W section, with only a minor effect on the lines, and tweaking the color in general.

Out of interest, Bruce, where do the lines come from and why are they there?

Jeremy

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 11:15:44 am »

Out of interest, Bruce, where do the lines come from and why are they there?

Jeremy

I used several CS5 gradient maps, some were inverted in part, others were completely inverted light to dark.  I usually re-inverted  them in curves, color negative.  The lines and other solarized effects were a byproduct of my main intent at the time, color or value.  I let them hang around and became attached to them.  The lines make the space more ambiguous, which makes it easier for the four parts to read together.

Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up