Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Received my new Canon 1DX today in Australia  (Read 3464 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Received my new Canon 1DX today in Australia
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:41:17 am »

Just in time for a month long trip to Paris, Italy and Iceland. ;D

Excited to put it to to the test in the streets of Paris, canals and alleys of Venice and wilds of Iceland.

I have heard several others in Australia also received theirs today; but that stock is still extremely limited.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Received my new Canon 1DX today in Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:53:27 am »

Congrats on your new camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

Josh-H

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:15:21 am »

Congrats on your new camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

I hope it lives up to the considerable expectation that has built up ::)
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:43:07 am »

I hope it lives up to the considerable expectation that has built up ::)

They did make you wait a bit on that one. :)

There is little doubt that it is going to be an excellent camera though.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:11:48 am by BernardLanguillier »

Sheldon N

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:49:08 am »

Very nice, congrats!

One item I was curious about... perhaps you can answer if you have the gear handy. Does the RRS L plate from the 1D III/1D IV/1Ds III fit onto the camera? I know the ports on the side are going to be blocked, just curious if it will work at all.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Pingang

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:04:59 pm »

It does not fit, the new RRS plate will have to be made the new 1DX body as the fron of its vertical grip area now with a little contour while the 1DsIII is stright. I have a pre-ordered RRS plate not coming yet, and I was in fact waiting for the Capture One Pro to finally support tethered shooting for either 5DIII or 1DX so I will sell my 1DsIII + RRS plate, now I am just waiting. The 1DX is really nice, I received mine last weekend in Bangkok, not really tried it yet.

Pingang

Very nice, congrats!

One item I was curious about... perhaps you can answer if you have the gear handy. Does the RRS L plate from the 1D III/1D IV/1Ds III fit onto the camera? I know the ports on the side are going to be blocked, just curious if it will work at all.

Sheldon N

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:09:38 pm »

Thanks for the info!  Too bad about the price of the L-Plate though... $250 is steep for a tripod bracket. I'll have to take a look and see what Kirk is charging once theirs is available.

Since you've got both bodies, what are your preliminary thoughts about file quality at ISO 100? I know the high ISO performance is going to be stunning, but I'm curious if I'm going to be making a trade-off in low ISO image quality if I sell my 1Ds III.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:12:08 pm by Sheldon N »
Sheldon Nalos

Josh-H

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:00:41 pm »

It does not fit, the new RRS plate will have to be made the new 1DX body as the fron of its vertical grip area now with a little contour while the 1DsIII is stright. I have a pre-ordered RRS plate not coming yet, and I was in fact waiting for the Capture One Pro to finally support tethered shooting for either 5DIII or 1DX so I will sell my 1DsIII + RRS plate, now I am just waiting. The 1DX is really nice, I received mine last weekend in Bangkok, not really tried it yet.

Pingang

Actually the L plate from a 1DS MK3 DOES fit the 1DX. It just doesn't fit perfectly - but its certainly useable.

I have my 1DSMK3 with a RRS L bracket here next to me and just test fitted the bracket to the 1DX and it bolts on without problem. Its not a perfect fit, but its easily useable and can be used without major issue. See attached photo. (sorry for quality, just snapped it on an iPhone)

BTW: You can also use a tripod collar plate from a 70-200mm sideways as an interim solution until RRS ship the 1DX L Bracket. Of course this doesn't give you a vertical mount, but it does at least give you a horizontal mount (if like me you want to keep your 1DS MK3 bracket on the 1DS).

I have also ordered the 1DX L Bracket - but as above, in the short term you can certainly use the 1DS MK3 bracket.

EDit - forgot to add. I always offset my bracket as shown in the picture so that I can use a cable release vertically.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:02:50 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Sheldon N

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:26:25 pm »

That's excellent news Josh, thanks. As long as I can attach it to the 1D X without causing damage to the body, I may just hang onto my existing L bracket. I don't need much access to any of the ports when shooting tripod mounted, and lately it's only been the rare occasion when I use the tripod.
Sheldon Nalos

Josh-H

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:33:50 pm »

That's excellent news Josh, thanks. As long as I can attach it to the 1D X without causing damage to the body, I may just hang onto my existing L bracket. I don't need much access to any of the ports when shooting tripod mounted, and lately it's only been the rare occasion when I use the tripod.

It certainly won't damage it in any way - it works just fine.

Since you've got both bodies, what are your preliminary thoughts about file quality at ISO 100? I know the high ISO performance is going to be stunning, but I'm curious if I'm going to be making a trade-off in low ISO image quality if I sell my 1Ds III.

More or less identical to the 1DSMK3 at ISO100 (I can't see any difference and if anything I think I prefer the 1DX file over my 1DSMK3 at ISO100; but that might just be my imagination). High ISO performance is phenomenal.

I'll probably sell my 1DSMK3 when I get back from Iceland and replace it with a 2nd 1DX or whatever else might be on the horizon  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up