Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 116 Celebrities. IQ160.  (Read 4315 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
116 Celebrities. IQ160.
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »

- Image by  Art Streiber, see link below for original context

http://fstoppers.com/paramount100th

"Art fired 63 frames on a Hasselblad H2 camera with the new Phase One IQ-160 back and a 150mm lens, provided by his digital tech, Eric Vlasic at With Technology. He shot the photo in three sections, and in post production, the left, middle, and right sections were merged into the final triple page spread that appeared in Vanity Fair. However, it’s important to note that all 116 people were on stage at one time. Nobody was stitched into the photo, nobody was added in post."

I've been on some high-pressure time-limited shoots as digital tech. But I can't even imagine the pressure of having only a few minutes with 116 celebrities - at the same time.

Great application for an IQ160 as well - using anything less than the best available would be such a shame when you have such a historic collection of individuals in one place (I'd assume the IQ160 was chosen over the 180 because it has a higher frame rate).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:59:50 pm by Doug Peterson »

FredBGG

Re: 116 Celebrities. IQ160.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:12:50 am »

Wow... that's a hand full to say the least.

Getting 116 celebrities to show up on time is a feat in it's own right.

Only problem I see is the gutter in the magazine.

All the actors are so close together... with a 3 page spread
you are going to have part of the image sunk into the gutter.

That damn gutter.... only real advantage of online magazines.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:41:00 am by FredBGG »

FredBGG

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:35:12 am »

He shot the photo in three sections, and in post production, the left, middle, and right sections were merged into the final triple page spread that appeared in Vanity Fair. However, it’s important to note that all 116 people were on stage at one time. Nobody was stitched into the photo, nobody was added in post."
[/quote]

I did a big group shot quite a few years ago for a Ballet Co. It was also shot in 3 sections.
However I decided to use three cameras synced together but set up so the shots would be sets of three and all in the same instant...
well almost.
It was shot with strobe, but I had to use a sync speed of 1/30th of a second so as to have all three shutters open at the same time.
I ran some tests and identified the slower camera and used it for the sync. The 1/30th made for a long enough safety margin for the shutters to still be open when the slower camera ought up.
The three shots being exposed with the same single flash overlaid each other perfectly
I used a sneaky trick to get the subjects to pose well.... I gave then the instruction by voice, but then used a musical cue to get then to
do it all together.... I also had the conductor wave his "sticks" at them leading up to the musical cue.

I used a single light.... Elinchrom Dual Head 6K shoved in the back of giant fresnel

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 12:01:43 pm »

While I'm sure we can find fault, personally I like the image for what it is - reminds me of a class photo.  I don't care what it was taken with or why - it's just neat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up