Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropped lens, need repair suggestions.  (Read 2014 times)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Dropped lens, need repair suggestions.
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »

Well, I didn't drop it -- my cat hit it while it was on a bean-bag and it rolled off and fell 2.5' onto a wooden floor.  Sony 70-400G (very heavy).  No longer focuses past about 6', either AF or MF.  Focus ring keeps turning, no change in VF.  In AF mode, the motor steps softly, and the focus ring turns (didn't use to), but again judging from the VF, nothing is happening.  Tried on two bodies.  Aperture works.  Zoom works.  Fell along with camera -- lens mount is undamaged.

Can I determine what is damaged?
Can I fix it?
Where do you recommend sending it for repair?

It's my most used lens  :(  -- and the first one I've damaged.

The cat is fine.

Thanks.

Colorado David

Re: Dropped lens, need repair suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:54:48 pm »

A dog would never do that.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:13:31 pm »

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:40:49 pm »

LOL

Indeed.  Thanks.

But still ...

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 01:53:33 pm »

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.  I have used Pho-Tech Service Center with excellent results and can recommend Bernie.  http://www.pho-tech.net/

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:09:52 pm »

My cat ran down the steps once when I got home, grabbed the new D3s and 24-120 and it went flying... The cat, camera and lens survived and the lens simply snapped back together and all work fine...

If you have a local dealer, start there. That's generally a good reason to have a local dealer and pay a few bucks more...

Next, contact Sony to see if they will repair or can recommend a repair business.

Next ask here and around for recommendations for Sony-specific repair.

Last--Ask Google and pray...
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 02:45:53 pm »

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.  I have used Pho-Tech Service Center with excellent results and can recommend Bernie.  http://www.pho-tech.net/

No apology necessary -- I _did_ laugh, and then shared your comment with my wife.

Thanks for the repair suggestion and link.  Bernie was helpful, but does not work on computerized Sony lenses (as I understand it, Sony charges for the tools needed, and he felt he'd likely end up sending it to Sony). 

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:52:05 pm »

My cat ran down the steps once when I got home, grabbed the new D3s and 24-120 and it went flying... The cat, camera and lens survived and the lens simply snapped back together and all work fine...

If you have a local dealer, start there. That's generally a good reason to have a local dealer and pay a few bucks more...

Next, contact Sony to see if they will repair or can recommend a repair business.

Next ask here and around for recommendations for Sony-specific repair.

Last--Ask Google and pray...

Thanks for the flow-chart.  I would like to have a local dealer.  (B&H knows me well.)  I'm in Pittsburgh, Pa. -- can anyone recommend someone nearby?  Toronto is only 5 hours drive away, but, alas, is in another country.  Washington, D.C., and Cleveland, Oh. are closer.

Right now it's either Sony or KEH.  Sony's repair facility in (iirc) Laredo seems to have a reputation tarnished to the point of encrusted.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 01:29:45 pm »

I'd recommend Sony or an authorized Sony shop for that one, and would advise not trying it yourself. Lenses are a major pain to service and usually require adjustment afterwards. I've been a tech for close to 30 years and don't do lenses.

Do have a nice revenue stream from people trying to fix their stuff according to the various DIY sites. About 30% of the time the thing is bricked.

The cat may be fine now, but wait 'till he gets the bill...
Pages: [1]   Go Up