Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving virtual copy metadata to file  (Read 1783 times)

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
Saving virtual copy metadata to file
« on: July 02, 2012, 04:33:44 am »

Given that LR3.6 doesn't allow one to save metadata to a virtual copy, what do you guys do if you want to export a file along with the develop settings associated with a VC?

It seems to me that one of the strengths of creating VCs is that one can vary the develop parameters and choose the best result, but then it would be useful to be able to choose which develop parameters to save to file, irrespective of whether those parameters are associated with the original or virtual copy. I suppose that would raise issues if one has automatically write changes into xmp switched on, but then at least one should be able to overwrite the sidecar file with the file of ones choice.

George Jardine

Re: Saving virtual copy metadata to file
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:49:33 pm »

Rawcoll, Virtual Copies share their snapshots with their master. So the only way (that I know of) to store VC settings in XMP, is to make a snapshot of the VC, then surf to the master, and save out the XMP.

Hope that helps!
George

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:39:26 pm »

Thanks George, I'll investigate that option further.

I've also managed to find out that it is possible to make a virtual copy a new master version, with the master verson becoming a virtual copy. I haven't checked it out yet, but I would expect that it would then be possible to save the metadata as an xmp to the 'new' master version.

Ian

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 05:06:31 pm »

There's a plugin called Snapshotter that copies VC adjustments to Snapshots.

Or you can right click a VC and make it the master.
Pages: [1]   Go Up