Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just another day in paradise ...  (Read 5831 times)

John R

Re: Just another day in paradise ...
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 06:59:23 pm »

Just saw the reply. Over the years I have found most people (non-photographers) are really drawn to bolder and more saturated colours than the subtler softer colours, particulary if one juxtaposes two versions of a subject as you have done. I still like the softer less contrasty version. Note how pronounced and darkish the bottom right edge is compared to the first version. I feel the lighter version allows the viewer to swim and bask in the colours, which are complimentary. So it is subtler with more emotional impact, at least for me. But you can still increase the contrast in the top portion while minimizing the contrast in the bottom portion. This is a technique I often use when I don't want contrastiness to everwhelm and/or be the subject itself, particulary in this kind of subtle image. Nevertheless, even in its more contrasty version, it is very nice: it exudes a timeless quality and reminds me of lying or walking in the sand and watching the sea and sky and clouds as they roll by.

JMR
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:57:07 am by John R »

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 07:41:52 pm »

Jeremy I actually prefer the horizontal one.. it seems to be a 'clearer' manifestation of the 'blurriness'. Not sure whether you have squashed it up to for the verticals,  because the resolution in the first two seems to be indicating on my screen a lot of artifacts happening and something isn't quite right. Perhpas in print it may be diffferent though. In the first one there seems to be evidence at the top of a little chunk of grit on your sensor.

Julie

jeremypayne

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 10:14:01 pm »

It is interesting ... This is the hardest image I have ever tried to print.

@john ... On screen, I am most drawn to a slightly toned-down version of #2 ... But #1 is holding its own in prints.  I still havn't printed one I love ... But I know it is there for me to uncover.   The final print could very well come from a version of #1.  The feeling it is eliciting is what i was going for ... That palette is so relaxing ... This one is likely gonna end up in a real prominent spot in my home and I bet I can sell a few.  I want to try some matte papers ... Everything i have tried so far has been ilford gfs or epson premium luster.

@julie ... Yes, my sensor was definitely dirty and I shot at f22 to maximize the exposure time which makes them very sharp. It took me a long time to cleanup the file, but the nice thing about digital was I could copy/paste the fix across all the different takes.  I think i finally caught the one you are seeing, but I need to go back and triple check ...

The slight banding and posterization is a jpeg/8bit thing I think  ... In LR and print the gradients are nice and smooth.

That particular horizontal take is a upscaled and stretched version of #2.  I have been experimenting with blurring and then upscaling and the stretching.

I'm enjoying the journey on this one.

degrub

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 12:02:31 am »

Would it work as a cibachrome print ?

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 08:05:44 am »

Jeremy you like Rothko Too?

www.peterfiore.com

jeremypayne

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 09:09:48 am »

Jeremy you like Rothko Too?

www.peterfiore.com

I do ...  and a good friend actually owns a few originals.

BUT ... this particular image was definitely inspired by another photographer I know. 

Her name is Tapp Francke. http://www.franckephotography.com/

I own a few large prints of hers from the Chromethesia series.

I have Sagaponick, Hidden Dragon and The Dream Before Awakening.

@ degrub ... Cibachrome is definitely an option ... I am pretty sure Tapp's are all Cibachrome's mounted between aluminum and facemounted plexi ... they look GREAT.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up