Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: One's Own Photographic Site  (Read 9189 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: One's Own Photographic Site
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »

The new FAA site really works.
In the first two days of having it up, some of my images have been featured in specific interest groups, I received about ten image comments, and one marriage proposal. Regrettably, the distance was a problem.

Ray, to start with FAA, you don't even need your own URL and domain. FAA will create instantly a subdomain within their domain for you.
Of course, having your domain is a good thing for many other reasons, and once you have it, you can link to it also from FAA.

I find, as with many other projects, it is a good idea to start with a scaled-down version of your final portfolio, and try it that way. You can play with various features, change them or even delete all images and categories, and start over. In short time and with very little time invested, you'll quickly find out what works and how to design the real thing. Saves a lot of time in long run. I wrote a short report about the installation and initial experience with this website in my blog.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:50:25 am by LesPalenik »

John Camp

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 01:26:22 am »

A related question -- any recommendations for galleries for people who just want to show off the photos, but don't want to sell anything, don't need fulfillment, don't want comments, but would like a little space for their own commentaries about the work? Would it be the same bunch of websites?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 01:33:20 am »

A related question -- any recommendations for galleries for people who just want to show off the photos, but don't want to sell anything, don't need fulfillment, don't want comments, but would like a little space for their own commentaries about the work? Would it be the same bunch of websites?

I would think that all online sharing sites allow you to create galleries without the price tags. Smugmug and Zenfolio would be more expensive than FAA, but they may offer some other features that you don't get with FAA. You can utilize the comment feature to write your own image description and story behind it. Furthermore, the comments could accommodate direct or indirect links to other related images, any applicable location maps, and other documents.

If you already have a website and don't intend to sell the prints, you can use Lightroom or some other software to create your own galleries and put it on your existing website - at no additional cost.

One difference between the LR generated HTML pages and the online sharing websites, such as above, is that LR gallery generation is essentially a batch process that has to be regenerated everytime you make a change to your gallery, whereas the online galleries utilize a dynamic database concept, and various changes (additions, deletion of images, linking them to various categories and comments, etc.) can be made on the fly. FAA website allows even to exchange the actual image file in the image holder, without losing the related textual information, keywords and other content, such as links to comments, other images, and categories, accumulated previously.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:51:35 am by LesPalenik »

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 06:37:03 am »

However, I think I have a lot of organizing to do before I'm ready for this. I haven't even got my own URL address yet. I recently bought a couple of the new 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0 external hard drives, hoping I can fit all my images, well-organised under appropriate headings, onto one 2TB drive.

I then have the problem of selecting for display what I imagine might have a more universal appeal than any personal favourites. It's a huge task. I never realised I'd be so busy in my retirement. I need another lifetime to finish this project.  ;D

Pack your bags and head for Nepal Ray.... not that your images are not good... it just seems way more fun to travel than to try and squeeze diminishing disposable income from others... I suppose you just have to work out what gives you the most thrills!

Julie

Ray

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 08:49:10 am »

Pack your bags and head for Nepal Ray.... not that your images are not good... it just seems way more fun to travel than to try and squeeze diminishing disposable income from others... I suppose you just have to work out what gives you the most thrills!

Julie

Hi Julie,
That's probably good advice. Selling prints becomes a business, and running a business is not as much fun as trekking in Nepal.

But heading for Nepal right now would not be advisable, unless you are fond of leeches. They're in the thick of the monsoon in Nepal right now. October, November, December are the best months, but March, April, May can also be okay. January and February are far too cold.

I'm contemplating doing the Annapurna Circuit this year in October. It's roughly a 21 day trek, or shorter if you're fit. However, I'm a bit hesitant about the Thorong La pass. That's 5400 metres and causes some trekkers a lot of trouble with altitude sickness. Reading accounts on the internet, it seems that some folks take as much as 13 hours to get from the last lodge, Thorong Pedi, and over the pass, Thorong La, to Muktinath, which involves a 1,000 metres ascent followed by a 1600 metres descent.

I'm not keen on boasting about physical prowess. Lots of trekkers seem to enjoy the challenge. I just enjoy the scenery, the culture, the people, and taking photos.  I'm quite content to be as slow as I want to be, or need to be to get the photos I want, which is why I employ my own guide and porter so there's no pressure to arrive at a particular pre-booked lodge at the end of the day.

You've got a lovely website showing some amazing photos.

Cheers!  Ray

Analog6

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 04:14:18 pm »

I have photomerchant, I think it is terrififc.  I like that you can have automated selling or 'persoanl fulfillment' (translates as you do it all and keep control) by galleries.  I have the Fine Art gallery set to be controlled by me and allow the automated buying on the other galleries.  And you can set your margin rate by galleries too.  And I love that it is Australian.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 07:33:40 pm »

Hi Julie,
That's probably good advice. Selling prints becomes a business, and running a business is not as much fun as trekking in Nepal.

But heading for Nepal right now would not be advisable, unless you are fond of leeches. They're in the thick of the monsoon in Nepal right now. October, November, December are the best months, but March, April, May can also be okay. January and February are far too cold.

I'm contemplating doing the Annapurna Circuit this year in October. It's roughly a 21 day trek, or shorter if you're fit. However, I'm a bit hesitant about the Thorong La pass. That's 5400 metres and causes some trekkers a lot of trouble with altitude sickness. Reading accounts on the internet, it seems that some folks take as much as 13 hours to get from the last lodge, Thorong Pedi, and over the pass, Thorong La, to Muktinath, which involves a 1,000 metres ascent followed by a 1600 metres descent.

I'm not keen on boasting about physical prowess. Lots of trekkers seem to enjoy the challenge. I just enjoy the scenery, the culture, the people, and taking photos.  I'm quite content to be as slow as I want to be, or need to be to get the photos I want, which is why I employ my own guide and porter so there's no pressure to arrive at a particular pre-booked lodge at the end of the day.

You've got a lovely website showing some amazing photos.

Cheers!  Ray
eeeeeeewhh... I am not a fan of leeches!! I can do spiders and snakes NO worries... but leeches !!! eewwwwh. My body responds by huge egg-sized red itchy lumps for weeks. YUK!  What about Kilamanjaro?? or somewhere in South America?? Better than ...or way much more fun that trying to sell images that you have worked for ages trying to get a system up to sell them. Just depends I suppose on whether you need the money or get the kicks out of selling your work.... or would rather be breathing the fresh air! :-)

Thanks for your kind words about my website and images.

Julie 

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 02:55:17 pm »

Ray, I have had my own site for quite some time (a ProPhoto.com wordpress template) but I have been torn about selling prints. I am always reminded of a story about the author, William Faulkner, who turned down a job as a local postmaster when he was in need of some money. A friend asked him why he would not take the job, and he responded something like, "because I do not want to be at the beck and call of anyone who has 3 cents."

I have decided that it is simply not feasible for me to commit to making prints upon submission of web-based orders. So I am headed in the direction of offering prints through a printing service, which would make my images available to the widest possible audience at reasonable prices. I may also offer personally printed fine art prints, but it would be through email requests at considerably higher pricing levels, on a schedule that will vary case by case.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

John Gellman
www.jgphoto.com

Ray

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 05:49:23 am »

I have decided that it is simply not feasible for me to commit to making prints upon submission of web-based orders. So I am headed in the direction of offering prints through a printing service, which would make my images available to the widest possible audience at reasonable prices. I may also offer personally printed fine art prints, but it would be through email requests at considerably higher pricing levels, on a schedule that will vary case by case.

Hi John,
That also seems to be the best type of arrangement for me. But what sort of percentages does the printing service take? 50%, 75%, 85%?

It's probably just ego that makes me think I could do a better printing job. Maybe in reality I couldn't, at least from the perspective of the buyer. So perhaps that shouldn't be an issue.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up