Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A trip down memory lane - for PS users  (Read 3467 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
A trip down memory lane - for PS users
« on: June 30, 2012, 05:19:39 pm »

Just for a bit of light entertainment, but I came across this showing how we used to have to work in Photoshop 2.5 - how things have changed.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:21:01 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: A trip down memry lane - for PS users
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:40:25 pm »

Amazing one could get anything done with the older versions...I still have a G4 laptop with Tiger that can run Classic and load Photoshop 1.0. It had even less than 2.5 had...I started PS with version 2 (I got 1.0 from John Knoll :~)

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:17:54 am »

Thanks for sharing this!

I switched to Photoshop 2.5 from Aldus Photo Styler - it was the first release for PC platform, the application came on 2 (or 3?) 3,5" 1,44MB floppy discs (if I remember correctly). I still remember how it excited me - didn't sleep all night playing with new image editing tools and features :D
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:28:33 am »

Hi Jeff - I first encountered PS in something like 1990(ish), I was working for the school of art and design at a local college. It was all floppy disks and classics and a few large screen and very expensive Super Macs running PageMaker and some other stuff I can't remember, before we also installed PS. I have no idea what version of PS it was, but it was very basic compared to what we see today. But the thing I remember being most annoying about Mac's back then, was if the computer crashed with the disk still in the drive, as they seemed to do quite often, you had to straighten out a paper clip and poke it into a tiny little hole to try and eject the disk manually - which wasn't the best of designs! We were also running a suite of micros with an early version of DOS and WordStar (no mice), then Windows came onto the scene – I think it was it version 2.0 around that time? Again I can't remember the numbers, but it was pretty dire and I seem to spend most of my time working out how to load each individual program into the right order of upper memory blocks in RAM, using batch files with the mem command and all written with edlin.. aarrgghh!

The youngster today don't know how good they have it.  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:39:25 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:18:58 pm »

And those early versions DID NOT HAVE LAYERS!  Every edit was pure destruction.  Yegads!

And can you imagine editing photos on machines with about 0.001 GB of memory?  Or less.

My first Photoshop image was a portrait of one of the kids on the block, with said kids in attendance.  Rubber stamped a third eye dead center on somebody's forehead.  They were rolling on the floor and turning red in the face!  It was pure magic.  Now all they want is to have a few pounds Liquified away.

francois

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:31:28 pm »

Just for a bit of light entertainment, but I came across this showing how we used to have to work in Photoshop 2.5 - how things have changed.

Dave

Funny that you found this wonderful old Photoshop 2.5 stuff. No later than last week, I stumbled upon the box of Photoshop 2.5 in my basement!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:26:54 am by francois »
Francois

jonathan.lipkin

Re: A trip down memory lane - for PS users
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 01:14:23 am »

I started using PS1, and started teaching with PS 2.5, which I installed on a centris using floppy discs. Anyone remember Color Studio?

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Re: A trip down memory lane - for PS users
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 08:38:48 am »

Hmmm, this is still how I use it. Did I miss something? ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up