Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to touch up dark spot on white print.  (Read 4399 times)

Mary K

How to touch up dark spot on white print.
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:17:16 am »

I wrapped a canvas black and white print, and now discover that there is a faint dark spot about 1/16th inch in diameter about 4 inches below the subjects face.  This spot is on a white area of the print, and I would like to cover it if possible.  The print is coated with Timeless matte. 

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mary
Mary Konchar

Ernst Dinkla

Re: How to touch up dark spot on white print.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:45:47 am »

As it usually is a lost cause anyway you can experiment. Drill with a small knife the coating + spot out and fill it up with a (similar) white acrylic paint + retouch that later on with the same Timeless matte. Ask someone else to check the print. You are not an objective viewer of that print after that operation.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:38:53 am »

As Ernst says this is often a lost cause.  One can make a repair that seems to be perfect, but when seen in different light it becomes obvious again.  And of course skies and light, smooth areas are the worst!  Those dots have knack for finding the worst possible location.

It is always best to start with the assumption that the dot is something the print picked up after coating.  Using a strong magnifying lens, pick at the dot with the tip of a sharp knife.  A #11 Xacto blade or the tip of a fresh utility knife blade is suggested.  Sometimes you can just flick the dot off the print.  Make a few very light, tiny cuts above the dot first if you think it's under the coating.

Strong magnification is the key to any work of this type, I use a pair jewelers magnifying glasses.  Also note that any paint you add during repairs will get a little darker when you put coating over it.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:45:15 am »

In non-critical areas, these pigmented markers were recommended to me by BC:  http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-pitt-big-brush-artist-pens/

Otherwise, if in a critical area, probably a lost cause and need to reprint....

ken

Mary K

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:20:56 pm »

Thanks to all for their replies.  I figure it is a lost cause too, but will give one or more of your suggestions a try.  The spot doesn't show at all angles, and I guess that is the reason I didn't see it before I wrapped the piece. 

Mary
Mary Konchar

framah

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 06:25:33 pm »

Put a half dozen more on the print and cell it a design concept. ;D
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:28:58 pm »

We had a long thread a while back with different options: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=20535.0. Hope it helps.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Landscapes

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 01:09:26 am »

As has been mentioned up above in a link to another thread, the best technique is the acrylic paint.  If its a really dark area that you can use a black pigment ink marker on then great, problem solved, but lighter colors are impossible to color match with just pens.

I went out and bought an 18 pack of acrylic paints.. super cheap.  Used a sheet of acetate over the affected area and squeezed out ever so slightly the colors I thought I'd need.  I was working with a blue sky.  So I used a darker blue, and the white.  As a painted would, I used the super fine brush to mix little blobs together, all the while working over the surface that I need to match.  After just a minute of two, I was sooo close.  When it dries, paint will be a bit darker so keep this in mind.  I thinned out the paint with water as cause because in such small amounts it will tend to dry pretty quickly.  But I was spot on in color.  It might be just ever so thicker, but even regular canvas has these imperfections in the weave and the coating that it doesn't much matter.  I used a really fine bruch, and even used an xacto knife to trim off some bristles when I was finally applying the paint, but used a thicker brush to mix it.

The reason I don't like the printing ink on acetate sheet method is that the color only works because off the spacing of individual microscopic dots.  Once your brush mixed it, it turn to a completely different color, for me always darker.  So for my blue sky, I could never get it to work.  But with acrylic paint, you can match it perfectly and then its just a matter of technique in how you apply it.

John Caldwell

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:49:00 pm »

I don't know much (anything) about this. Is there not a risk that the repair will be "non-archival" and as the repair ages, the repair will begin to express itself?

John Caldwell

Mary K

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »

John, that is a very good question. 

I have used some of the suggested methods (pigment pens, for example) on other pieces in the past, and blending a light (or white) defect into a darker background is usually easily accomplished.  I've never before had to blend a dark spot into a white background, and that is why I asked for some advice.   

Mary Konchar

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:56 pm »

One option with a dark spot is to very carefully abrade it down with delicate knife scrapes, until you are almost down to the gesso.  Just like George Hurrell scraping a skin blemish off an 8x10 Garbo negative...can you imagine doing that on an original neg?  As you mentioned it's much easier to fix a light spot than a dark one.

Personally, I've tossed some pretty big canvases just to avoid retouching hassles, especially with a show looming close.  And I've never felt comfortable about giving a customer something that might make them feel cheated later on.

Should also mention that a repaired canvas should optimally be recoated for best results, otherwise the surface sheen differential will give away the repair location in certain kinds of lighting situations.  Restoring surface consistency after a built-up paint repair is no easy trick.

Landscapes

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 10:51:29 am »

I don't know much (anything) about this. Is there not a risk that the repair will be "non-archival" and as the repair ages, the repair will begin to express itself?

John Caldwell

I thought about this as well but reading up on acrylic paint, it is apparently pigment suspended in an acrylic polymer emulsion.  So the fact that its pigments in there, just like in the ink, is at least in the right direction.  No idea about the quality of course... are there even different types of pigments???  But I think its much better than a sharpie pen which has been suggested before because those black ones really do fade in a matter of months/years.

Mary K

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 09:14:55 pm »

Well, I removed the spot by using the sharp razor method, and it didn't look too bad when I finished.  Since I was coating some pieces today, I also sprayed a couple more coats of Timeless matte on the piece.  After spraying, the repaired area was difficult to spot, but it was still obvious to me.  Think I'll just let someone in the family have it and chalk it up to a loss.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Mary Konchar
Pages: [1]   Go Up