Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new D800e vs. my old Panny D1x (or is it DX1?)  (Read 1280 times)

John Camp

My new D800e vs. my old Panny D1x (or is it DX1?)
« on: June 29, 2012, 02:28:12 am »

I went into Samy's camera in Pasadena last Thursday and put down a deposit on a D800e. They delivered it on Tuesday.

I walked around with it a bit on Tuesday afternoon with the new Nikon 50mm f1.8G, and also the 85mm f1.8G. I had shot news a few years back using a D3 and a D300 (a good team) and the three big f2.8 zooms, and then went to the Pannys with a few Olympus lenses and a bunch of Panasonics, for the size/weight reduction.

I have not much to say about the D800 image quality except that it's probably as good as everybody says (and I don't have the left AF problem.) I will say that even after my experience with the D3 (I still have it, but haven't used it for probably a year) that I was taken a little aback by the heft of the D800, even with the primes. With the wide f2.8, it was like an anchor. Of course, I didn't buy it as a walk-around; I bought it for landscape work either out of my car, or with a backpack. But, today I was walking around with the D1X (or DX1) again.

Again, I know I'll really like the D800e, but in going from the D3 to the D800e, I was not exactly blown away by the high-ISO response. I mean, it seems to be very good, but I took the D3 to Iraq, and some of my first shots were pre-dawn flightline shots at a airbase. I looked at those and I *was* astonished.

I think the tech is maturing. My next move is to shoot portraits with the D1X (or is is DX1?) with the Oly 45 and compare them to the D800 with the Nikon 85, and see what they look like when printed life-size. We'll see...

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: My new D800e vs. my old Panny D1x (or is it DX1?)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:24 am »

Again, I know I'll really like the D800e, but in going from the D3 to the D800e, I was not exactly blown away by the high-ISO response.

I wouldn't describe either D800 variant as being my first or even third  or maybe even my fourth choice for high ISO work.  the  D3s and D4, 5D Mk III, and 1D Mk IV are superior in that regard. The D4 even more so than the D3s or the 5D Mk III. I haven't worked with the 1D X so I can't rank that one yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up