Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New USB cables for Nikon D800  (Read 16970 times)

adpix

New USB cables for Nikon D800
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:25:19 pm »

Nikon has changed its USB plug design between the DX3 and the D800.  Which I discovered when I launched a tethered shoot today.  The new plug design has two unequal portions, with one part about twice as wide as the other.  Each part contains five pins, if I'm counting correctly.

Does anyone know what the new head design is called and where one can buy a couple of 15-foot cables?

Thanks,

Bill Jackson

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: New USB cables for Nikon D800
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:59:26 pm »

do you mean USB3 ?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

adpix

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:30:58 pm »

Thanks for pointing me towards USB3.

Now, for the Grand Prize,  could you suggest the proper name for the small end of the USB3 cable that came with the D800?  My brief survey of the web suggests it could be called Micro A, Micro B, Micro AB or That Little Thing Down There. 

Also, can the USB3 cable employ a powered extension when used with the D800 in tethered shooting?

You know, keeping up with digital photography isn't that easy when one's background is art rather than engineering.

(I could not find the cable specified in the thick manual that comes with the camera.)

Bill Jackson

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 05:40:52 pm »

to be honest --- I also have to try to shoot tetered yet with the d800 (e)

Well, As far as i know it works also on usb2 but first you need the provided usb3 cable and connect it to tan another USB2 or 3 cable extension....

again- as far as i know- the only program supporting the D800(e) at the moement is Nikons    Camera Control pro 2.11

I am going to test it for myself very soon ...

What is have heard ... even on USB2 is faster than the original USB2....      about 1 frame /second

good luck
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:46:15 pm »

Thanks for pointing me towards USB3.

Now, for the Grand Prize,  could you suggest the proper name for the small end of the USB3 cable that came with the D800?  My brief survey of the web suggests it could be called Micro A, Micro B, Micro AB or That Little Thing Down There. 
The connector on the D800 is called "Micro B". So you would want an "A to Micro B" cable.

Regards,

Jeff
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

FredBGG

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:46:11 pm »

If you are getting another USB cable for your Nikon D800 you should order another boot from Nikon.
It is a plastic boot that fits over the cable so as to protect the USB3 connector on the D800 from damage due to movement on the cable.

There are also little brackets made by the Video DSLR rig companies to give added support to HDMI and USB cables.

It is rather easy to damage the on camera USB socket.

Moreno Polloni

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:53:31 pm »

Nikon has changed its USB plug design between the DX3 and the D800.  Which I discovered when I launched a tethered shoot today.  The new plug design has two unequal portions, with one part about twice as wide as the other.  Each part contains five pins, if I'm counting correctly.

Does anyone know what the new head design is called and where one can buy a couple of 15-foot cables?

As Jeff already mentioned the D800 has USB 3.0 port which takes the micro B cable. However, it is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and while you're waiting the the new cables you can use your standard USB 2.0 micro A cables. You just need to plug them into the wide portion of the connector.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:52:50 pm »

One of my first accessory purchases for my D800 was a second cable. It's called a USB 3.0 Type A Male to Micro B Male. Lots of them available on Amazon.

So far, I haven't tried using it on a tethered shoot or to download, but I'd better do it before my next trip since this is my back-up in getting files out of the camera!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

adpix

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:56:25 pm »

For the short term, at least, the question of a long USB3 cable is moot. A search of the web today indicates that none of the tethering programs recognize the D800/E and its nifty portal.  The closest one can come is a Capture One hack, but its stability is questionable. 

Meanwhile,  I have purchased a Iogear "USB 2.0 Booster Cable" which looks like it might work if the tethering programs are brought up to date.  (That is to say, it would work at USB2 speeds, which is all I really need.)

Once again on the bleeding edge of technology.

Bill Jackson

adpix

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »

I'm happy to report that I've found a path to tethered shooting for  the D800, albeit a clunky one.

Nikon's Capture Control 2 has finally been updated to Version 2.11.0, which accommodates the D800.

As to the issue of long cables to use in the studio, I attached the USB 3 cord that came with the D800, to a 15-ft. cable from Iogear which is said to draw power from the computer, if I have that correct.  It is Iogear Model No. GUE216, available through B&H.  This results in a  USB 2 connection, but that's OK with me. 

The clunky part is that I still have to process my shots in Light Room.  So I use Capture Control 2 to bring a NEF into a watched file on the computer.  Then I manually open it with Light Room and go about my business. 

Any wisdom on how to automate this hand over would be much appreciated.

Bill Jackson                     

MrSmith

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 05:57:58 pm »

capture 1 supports tethered shooting for d800/e
no idea about the cables though.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 06:27:04 pm »

So I use Capture Control 2 to bring a NEF into a watched file on the computer.  Then I manually open it with Light Room and go about my business. 
Any wisdom on how to automate this hand over would be much appreciated.
Bill Jackson                     

Hello Bill, probably you can choose in CCP2 the program to view your Nefs after download - probably you can use Lightroom..(?)
In my case I choose Nikons ViewNX2 - because it works very fast... ( after that i use Photoshop CS6 to develop the raw- it works really well with the d800e files i find- the same i guess as lightroom4)
Also i managed to use a 20meter usb2 cable with repeater and everything works very well- I must say Nikons software is ( finally) improving.

I have a 5m USB3 cable with repeater, but it only works when connected to a computer with USB3 - and i don't have one- ...that has to do with the extra power it needs i guess

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 10:00:10 pm »

FastPictureViewer (FPV) allows tethered shooting with D800/E and tracking preview of the files as they arrive from the camera - simply setup the tracking folder in FPV.
You can also use FPV to quickly rate files in XMP format that will be further recognized in lightroom/camera raw/bridge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up