Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In-Depth look at the Mamiya Leaf Credo 80  (Read 9538 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
In-Depth look at the Mamiya Leaf Credo 80
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:15:51 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2hcOt_YLno

Here is a video teaser for an upcoming article of mine which takes an in-depth look at the new Mamiya Leaf Credo 80. In the article it is compared to the PhaseOne IQ180 and P65+ along with a look at the features the Credo has that other backs in past and previous Phase / Leaf model lineups. Also there is a going to be a link in the article to a dropbox where you can download all the RAW files referenced in the article as well as some others from the Mamiya Leaf Credo 80/ PhaseOne IQ180 and P65+ to come to your own conclusions about the files.

It's an interesting camera and hope this video gives you some more / new information about it. Let me know.

Also, if you are interested in the detailed technical specifications of the Credo, here ya go:

https://digitaltransitions.com/page/mamiya-leaf-credo-digital-backs
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:16:15 am by Brian Hirchfeld »
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

DanielStone

Re: In-Depth look at the Mamiya Leaf Credo 80
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:22 pm »

hey Brian,

just wondering, I know that many here that use digital backs want the ultimate in sharpness, but is it possible to get some comparisons done in REAL WORLD conditions, say, in the field(or on the top of a high-rise, since DT is based in NY)?

I'm in no way financially able at this time to afford a Credo 80, but I still like to follow the tech, despite being a film user(well, I drum scan it, so its a hybrid process ;)). I work as an assistant on sets here in LA, and some people I work for use Leaf and Phase backs for their work, commercial and/or editorial...

So to ME, looking at the boring colorchecker card + some faux jewelry gets kinda boring. But its not my test, just sayin...

Thanks for being willing to do these "tests"/reviews though, its much appreciated, I'm sure by others too, not just myself

-Dan

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:15:50 pm »

I had the same idea and am trying to work with DT to come up with some way to do this test. The biggest barrier is finding a way to do it with the fewest "holes" in the process" that is to say ways at which people could discredit the results. Also the comparison needs needs to include some sort of 35mm component (probably everyone's favorite D800e). The best way I figured, would be to use some sort of tech cam, probably an Arca since they have ones that accept DSLR's and also DB's (although I don't believe on the same camera) and then take them outside with as many DB's as we could get together. 

But you'll certainly be able to check out the Mamiya Leaf Credo 80 files soon when the review launches.

FredBGG

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:57:34 pm »

hey Brian,

just wondering, I know that many here that use digital backs want the ultimate in sharpness, but is it possible to get some comparisons done in REAL WORLD conditions, say, in the field(or on the top of a high-rise, since DT is based in NY)?

I'm in no way financially able at this time to afford a Credo 80, but I still like to follow the tech, despite being a film user(well, I drum scan it, so its a hybrid process ;)). I work as an assistant on sets here in LA, and some people I work for use Leaf and Phase backs for their work, commercial and/or editorial...

So to ME, looking at the boring colorchecker card + some faux jewelry gets kinda boring. But its not my test, just sayin...

Thanks for being willing to do these "tests"/reviews though, its much appreciated, I'm sure by others too, not just myself

-Dan

Some practical tests have been done and the difference is very very small.

I did my own tests and stopped using MFD in favor of shooting with the D800 and Larger MF film 6x8cm or large format 8x10.

Here is a test done by an IQ180 owner:

http://www.circleofconfusion.ie/d800e-vs-phase-one-iq180/

His conclusion was:

At 30×20 inches, you can see subtle but clear differences between the IQ180 and the D800E. Not all of them weighted in favour of the medium format camera, though. For instance, the D800E produced much more pleasing shadow areas on the prints of the photographs produced to test dynamic range.

Resolution and detail of the IQ180 prints was better than that of the D800E prints – but not massively. Again, the difference was there, but it wasn’t huge. Certainly not €30,000 huge.

And we were stunned just how close the D800E ran the IQ180 when the files were printed at 60×40 inches, which is bigger than many dining room tables.

One thing I found was that the dynamic range of the Nikon was better in particular for my black and white work.

Regarding the affordability.... well you can get files that are almost indistinguishable from MFD with the D800E..... leaves plenty of money for that "film shooting" habit we both have...

FredBGG

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:09:27 am »

@ Brian

How is the screen o the Credo? I was expecting more from the IQ series... is the Credo better?

From the video the colors appear to be way off compared to the other monitors...

I know it's video, but the guys skin tone looks consistent.

I guess one could get a better viewing of colors with the iPad, but with that you are limited to the studio because
Capture one Pilot can't "talk" directly with the back.

It would be nice to be able to connect directly to the camera as I do with the D800 with a color calibrated Samsung Tablet.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:12:28 am »

I believe that the screens are exactly the same in terms of their resolution, all though someone may correct me if I am wrong.

Also when you say "the guy" if you are referring to Lance, then chalk it up to the fact that I was using my Nikon D3s and Nikon D4 to shoot the video (which I am very new to making).

And if you are referring to the screen and the iPad, I would say that you can't judge them from a video.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:36:31 am »

nice interface. Good video too.
Geoff

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 01:21:32 pm »

How is the screen o the Credo? I was expecting more from the IQ series... is the Credo better?

From the video the colors appear to be way off compared to the other monitors...

The image captured was simply not white balanced in-camera so the camera LCD is showing (accurately) a blue-cast image. In Capture One you can push a button labeled "set" next to the white balance icon which uploads the WB you're using on the current image to the digital back, in which case the image on screen will be of the proper white balance (you can also set this on the back itself, though while tethered I tend to do it from the computer). That detail/step was simply missed amongst the difficulty of producing a video during an open house.

It would be nice to be able to connect directly to the camera as I do with the D800 with a color calibrated Samsung Tablet.

Once USB is enabled on the IQ and Credo they will both be able to shoot to any tablet with a USB that runs a desktop version of either Windows or Mac OS.

FredBGG

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 05:28:51 pm »

Once USB is enabled on the IQ and Credo they will both be able to shoot to any tablet with a USB that runs a desktop version of either Windows or Mac OS.

That would be very useful, but the IQ180 has been out for one and a half years and still no USB support.

Do you have an ETA?

Also Capture One would have to be tweaked a bit as it does not run on screens with lower resolution....
More gesture support along the lines of Lightroom would be nice... kind of like the Credo screen.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:46 pm »

Decent estimate would be end of summer or early fall.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 10:28:53 pm »

Thanks for the video Brian.  What a nice product.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Pingang

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 03:14:08 am »

I think the most critical issue and need for tethered shoot is not for storage, but for a security review to avoid surprise, but tethered shoot is really not ideal, it was a technogy of yesterday but now I think the best is to shoot to a CF card of whatever size user can afford, while being able to wirelessly review the image in lfe, through computer or tablet, that would be much more efficient I think.  I shoot tethered a lot, if not almost everyday and once I like the set up, but years later with all the modern technology, it is really very dated.
Phase One has announce wireless back many years back but never made it to market, may be time is right today.

Pingang

That would be very useful, but the IQ180 has been out for one and a half years and still no USB support.

Do you have an ETA?

Also Capture One would have to be tweaked a bit as it does not run on screens with lower resolution....
More gesture support along the lines of Lightroom would be nice... kind of like the Credo screen.

FredBGG

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 12:36:02 pm »

Today's professional standard should have these minimum requirements:

Two CF cards so as to have redundancy in the the camera or back.
I use RAID through my whole workflow, it's nice to have it in camera too.
Wifi for preview with the possibility of sending lower res files over wifi for preview, or even jpeg.
Wifi should have an option to transfer previews right away or only when the photographer wants to.
It would be very nice to be able to transmit only files chosen on the back to the camera.
I often hit the release on the camera to keep the flow going and do not want the shot going anywhere but the trash bin ;)

By that I mean shoot a few shots and then hit a button and step away to transfer previews.
It's not a good idea to have wifi spewing out of the camera while you shoot with you optic nerve
less that 1/4 of an inch from the wifi transmitter.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 12:37:55 pm »

Today's professional standard should have these minimum requirements:

Two CF cards so as to have redundancy in the the camera or back.
I use RAID through my whole workflow, it's nice to have it in camera too.
Wifi for preview with the possibility of sending lower res files over wifi for preview, or even jpeg.
Wifi should have an option to transfer previews right away or only when the photographer wants to.
It would be very nice to be able to transmit only files chosen on the back to the camera.
I often hit the release on the camera to keep the flow going and do not want the shot going anywhere but the trash bin ;)

By that I mean shoot a few shots and then hit a button and step away to transfer previews.
It's not a good idea to have wifi spewing out of the camera while you shoot with you optic nerve
less that 1/4 of an inch from the wifi transmitter.

So many good ideas, maybe you should go become the Jim Jannard of MFDBs?

FredBGG

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »

Another nice thing would be to have a collapsible waist level finder type hood on the back of both digital cameras and Digital backs.
When shooting on location its difficult to see even the damn menus on the back of cameras. A little collapsible hood with a nice eyepiece
would be a blessing. The Phase One Prism eyepiece is sufficiently far back for there to be room for a collapsible hood.
Only problem would be figuring out how to keep the controls accessible. maybe a hood with an opening of some kind
underneath so you could still do touch screen with the hood open. Would double up for keeping an eye on finger nail grunge ;)

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 04:05:42 pm »

Brian, great video. Thanks again for sharing.

PeteZ28

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »

Does the $39,000 price tag include the surgery I will require to route a FireWire 800 cable through my face so I can look through the viewfinder with the back tethered?

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 08:04:09 pm »

Does the $39,000 price tag include the surgery I will require to route a FireWire 800 cable through my face so I can look through the viewfinder with the back tethered?

naw, that one is on you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up