Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard Canyon Light - modified version  (Read 4345 times)

churly

Hard Canyon Light - modified version
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:33:18 pm »

The hardness of the light is pretty representative of the feeling of the evening.  There were no soft edges on anything.  Is it too harsh?

EDIT - I have worked on a couple of these using some advice from your comments and newly installed ACR 7.  Many thanks for that.  Just for the purposes of scale, the dot and wake in the water of the first image is a boat and two water skiers.  The second one has a simplified foreground.

Thanks for having a look.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:22:01 pm by churly »
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

Re: Hard Canyon Light
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:11:02 am »

Great subject, nice composition, perfect focus and exposure, but somehow the subject is not as engaging as others. The light is part of it. I wonder how it looks in colour.
The foreground has a warm cast, and the background a blue tint, to my eyes.
Scott

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:54:26 am »

Well, clearly there was no haze about that particular evening so even stuff in the distance is sharply delineated.

Actually a nice shot.
A colour rendition would possibly help to allow us to get a feel for the image.
For you however there is nothing to apologise over here.

Regards

Tony Jay

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:07:09 am »

I find the presence of the tree on the left distracting: there isn't enough contrast between it and the background to make it stand out, yet it intrudes enough to draw my eye. The whole scene also looks rather flat, despite the harshness of the light. It doesn't quite work for me.

I too would be interested to see a colour version, though.

Jeremy

Kerry L

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:12:49 am »

The image is well composed, however, there are a couple of things that I feel detracts from it. It looks like there is uneven tinting, the foreground has a warm cast that is poorly applied. Were you trying to add an tint to the left dead wood? It has spilled over and you stopped short on the highest branch. You might try a mask to get this done.

I find the whole thing to be a bit crunchie.... over sharpened a bit.

A re-work of your post processing should make this a better image, and as others mentioned a colour version would be nice to see.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:25:07 am »

...It looks like there is uneven tinting, the foreground has a warm cast that is poorly applied. Were you trying to add an tint to the left dead wood? It has spilled over and you stopped short on the highest branch. You might try a mask to get this done.
+1

That tree on the left competes with the background.  Those divergent textures and shapes need separation of good bokeh or sky to be realized in the same image.  Here they are overlaid and they are not harmonious.

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

churly

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:58:02 pm »

Thanks everyone for the instructive comments.  They are much appreciated.  I'm not sure about the tint issue.  There isn't any selective tint applied just a very slight warming to the whole image as the last process.  I've been to this location several times but have yet to bring back the image I want.  I have attached the color version which has a different character but suffers from the same issues with the dead tree on the left and to me a lack of definition in the canyon walls (that's why I went to the B&W).

Again thanks for the feedback.

Chuck Hurich

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:48:01 pm »

In your search for lighting that makes this location work, you may want to pay closer attention to the time of day and time of the year.  You would really like that whole valley lit-up with some sunlight or even moonlight, perhaps at an angle from behind you. What direction are you looking in this shot?
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 02:28:58 pm »

Now that I have seen the colour version, I have to agree that it works better in monochrome.

Have you tried using the shadows slider in the latest Lightroom/ACR versions to bring a bit more detail out of the shadow areas?
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

churly

Re: Hard Canyon Light - modified version
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 07:26:30 pm »

PhotoEcosse - I had the update sitting on my desk waiting for installation.  Thumbs up to the update.  I replaced the original images with two new ones.
Chuck Hurich

stamper

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 03:57:05 am »

Anyone looking now - today - at this post will be bewildered at looking through the post? I was scratching my head wondering if my monitor was wonky. Two posters referring to a monochrome image when it was clearly a colour one. You should hve posted the colour images in addition to the monochrome ones instead of replacing them?  ::)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 08:19:30 am »

Anyone looking now - today - at this post will be bewildered at looking through the post? I was scratching my head wondering if my monitor was wonky. Two posters referring to a monochrome image when it was clearly a colour one. You should hve posted the colour images in addition to the monochrome ones instead of replacing them?  ::)
+100!

It's very confusing now, and no comparison is possible.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up