Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 and HP CANVAS  (Read 3774 times)

dunesurfer

Z3200 and HP CANVAS
« on: June 26, 2012, 05:58:19 pm »

Hope somebody can help.I loaded a new roll of HP PRO MATT CANVAS today in my year old z3200.I noticed that while selecting the material and setup workspace,i get a warning,that canvas in question is not calibrated.Select also HP PRO CANVAS on the printer,and decided to give it a go.The print contain quite alot of black.and when the print came out,i notice that something was touching the print.If one take a canvas print,and lightly rub soemthing over it,you can see the mark.And thats what i see in the print.

Also,i must mention,that due to lots fo warnings about the formatter board going haywire when uoloading new profiles and firmware,i havent done that.So,can it be my problem,or something else.It seems this canvas is slightly thicker as what i was using up to now,also been profiled by the printer itself.Namely SIHL CANVAS MATT.

artobest

Re: Z3200 and HP CANVAS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:45:14 am »

Firstly, I get great results from the HP Pro Matte Canvas using the built-in profile. It is a very matte finish though, and unvarnished can give that 'rubbed' effect you describe. I recommend varnishing. Also, have you printed anything since calibrating it?

BTW, I've never heard of the formatter board freaking out when upgrading firmware. Some of the boards did come with faulty Hitachi hard drives that caused problems - if you have issues, contact HP straight away and they will replace it.

dunesurfer

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 01:34:47 pm »

Hallo,
Thxs for the reply.I,w recaligrabte the specific canvas first.I measure the thickness,and compare it to the other canvas,which was actually some microns thicker then the HP PRO MATTE.

Do you spray coat or roll on.

Thanxs.

artobest

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 07:27:36 am »

I don't do much canvas, and what I do is mostly black and white, which looks great uncoated on the HP Pro Matte - no surface issues at all. I have used both the Hahnemuhle spray, which helps the surface and colours slightly after three or four coats, and a Windsor and Newton semi-gloss spray varnish, just to experiment. That gave a fantastic result. If I were to do it more regularly, I would choose a roll-on semi-gloss coating.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:38:53 am »

It is a good canvas that I use next to other qualities from HM and InteliCoat. Prints without issues on the Z3200 and Z3100. I spray 2 layers of Lascaux 2060 Gloss acrylic + 1 thin satin layer. All 1:1 diluted with water. In between forced drying. It can be stretched by hand and is heavy enough to be stretched on a pneumatic stretcher which allows a higher tension. The profile I use is made with the target varnished as written above. I can nor recall from memory whether I measured that with the Z3200 itself or by hand with the Eye 1 Pro.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more

Shutterbug2006

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 01:40:04 am »

Firstly, I get great results from the HP Pro Matte Canvas using the built-in profile. It is a very matte finish though, and unvarnished can give that 'rubbed' effect you describe. I recommend varnishing. Also, have you printed anything since calibrating it?

BTW, I've never heard of the formatter board freaking out when upgrading firmware. Some of the boards did come with faulty Hitachi hard drives that caused problems - if you have issues, contact HP straight away and they will replace it.

When my Z3100 packed it in last month, it was AFTER I downloaded and installed a printer profile for HP Pro Matte. Everything was fine until I did that. HP Tech support asked me if I had updated the firmware first (what?).

A replacement formatter solved the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up