Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake Tekapo - cliche central?  (Read 2996 times)

MattNQ

• My Website
Lake Tekapo - cliche central?
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:36:49 am »

This place can be a bit cliche...especially the church shot - been done a thousand times, but the light was interesting when we were there. Not sure I've done it justice, but it was worth a try.

Matt

sdwilsonsct

Re: Lake Tekapo - cliche central?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:44:32 am »

Looks good to me. I might tone down the blue a little.
Scott

popnfresh

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:19:27 am »

The first one is a good shot and a prime candidate for B&W, so I took the liberty.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »

Pop's B&W works for me better than the colour version Matt.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:27:00 pm »

Pop's B&W works for me better than the colour version Matt.

For me too.

Also, like Scott, my first thought on seeing the colour versions was "bloody blue".

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »

Tsk, tsk, Jeremy... "bloody?" But I agree. Pop got it right. It may still be a bit dramatic, though Ansel probably wouldn't agree.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 06:51:08 pm »

Thanks Pop, The B&W does work well.
Matt

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:05:05 pm »

Another vote for the B&W version.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:06:52 am »

I like the first one. It’s an intriguing if menacing example of religious iconography.

The combination of what appears a very old building along with the wind-shaped grasses is surreal; even dreamlike. The sky, clouds, and water colors each add in their own way to this effect.

The boulders are like barricades between the viewer and the building, making it difficult to access.

Were it mine I’d darken the roadway a bit along the middle to make it more foreboding, similar to how the sky is darkest toward the middle.

I’m going to guess that the artist’s intent was to make the church appear foreboding. This is an interesting interpretation of an obviously religious scene. Mostly you’d expect to see the illuminated pathway leading to the shining building of salvation against the threatening sky,  yada, yada.

But here the “shining” is more akin to something out of the imagination of Stephen King, and that’s what makes this intriguing.

I bet it would have emotional appeal to those who find issues with religion.

In contrast, the B&W loses all of the original qualities and is just dull as a result. Well, except for the long grasses, which in B&W look as if they’ve defied time in their largely toneless and ghostly appearance.

Nice capture!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 01:16:03 am »

I do like the colour version but the WB definitely needs some adjusting!  The B&W is great, though...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 07:25:53 am »

Hi Matt,

We drove (80mph most of the time in a 6/8 berth camper van - not easy..!) all the way around NZ SI in 10 days, clocked 2,500 miles and this church was definitely on my list, clichéd or not, I really wanted to get my version of it, but as it is inland and we mainly stuck to the coast, we ended up about 400 miles too far away towards the end of our flying visit - we will definitely go back though, but next time at a much more sedate pace and for a month if we can afford it. The number of fantastic photo ops I saw flashing past the window as my teeth and the contents of the van rattled to destruction but with no time to stop, has really bugged me, a stunning place to visit and top photography location.

Love the shot, wish I had a version, but definitely better in B/W.

Dave

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 02:13:32 pm »

Tsk, tsk, Jeremy... "bloody?" But I agree. Pop got it right. It may still be a bit dramatic, though Ansel probably wouldn't agree.

That was the word which sprang, unbidden, to my mind, Russ. I think that if Shaw could get away with it in Pygmalion, albeit causing a degree of controversy, I can too.

If I've offended the delicate sensibilities of anyone here (does anyone who's been here for longer than a few days still have delicate sensibilities?), then of course I humbly apologise.

Jeremy

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:06:02 pm »

Thanks all for your opinions.

No offence here Jeremy. "bloody" is almost part of the queen's english down here in 'straya. 

Dave, We did 2 weeks in just the Sth Island. One week in a camper similar to yours (yes, sports car handling is not on the option list!).
You are right - you have to drive past so many amazing places. Ended up leaving the camera on the dashboard as I was getting it out so much (much to the wife's constant irritation  ;D)

Justin, Love your interpretation of the shot. I must admit I didn't think it through in quite that much detail - But I was looking to make the most of the foreboding clouds and isolated building - I do like taking pictures of churches with a dark & ominous feel..I have a few that I haven't posted  here (probably as it is mainly a landscape forum )

Matt
Matt

michaelwm

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 10:07:38 pm »

Matt,

I love the second one. I'm surprised no one has praised it yet. We're heading over to NZ in september, can't wait...

Michael

John R

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:08 am »

Beautiful dramatic lighting and with the clouds, and as has been stated, a foreboding tone has been created. It is only fitting for what appears to be a a foreboding place. Justice has been done, whether colour or BW. Really nice work.

JMR

MattNQ

• My Website
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 11:42:34 am »

Thanks John, it's funny - Lake Tekapo & the church in question is bright & cheery in the shots you see of the place in tourist brochures - in bright sunshine & blue sky. On our visit it was strange & forboding...and then the bloke at the church told us about the lives that the waters of the lake had claimed over the years... :o

Thanks Michael, I think the second one tends to gets a bit overpowered next to the first as it wasn't as strong an image. I have a few more from here from different perspectives, but wasn't quite game to post them yet - thought I'd see if these got hammered or not ;D. You'll have a ball in NZ. September was a magic time of year over there.
Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up