Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating the Apple Retina Display  (Read 23159 times)

John S C

Calibrating the Apple Retina Display
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:07:57 am »

So I am a proud owner of a new MacBook Pro with Retina display.

All is fine  until I come to try and calibrate the screen.

First problem is that my eye one Display-2 puck isn't seen by either CEDP or X-Rite Lion iProfiler software. Bit of research shows similar problems with newer MBP's . Trick is to connect via powered hub ( Yes sounds odd but it does work) ow I'm not sure if this is a USB 2 device on a USB 3 port problem but running it via the hub works.

That's not the main problem. Now both software identify the puck, but when run both software versions give a Red/Magenta  result. You can see this clearly on the CEDP video LUT graph. there is significant separation between all three colour curves.

Now I'm not leaping up and down as I have managed to get a fairly good match with my desktop machine using Apple's built in calibration tools. Plus I normally never use the laptop for critical colour correction anyway.

Any ideas though as to why the  calibrated screen has this unusual cast. Is it the screen, the Eye One Display or a bit ( Or a lot ) of both ??

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Calibrating the Apple Retina Display
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:29:42 am »

I don’t believe any vendor has a solution yet for the Retina displays. Welcome to the bleeding edge.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

aaronchan

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:03:18 am »

Have you try to use any other instrument such as i1pro(1/2) or spyder to calibrate the screen?

Aaron

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:07:20 am »

Have you try to use any other instrument such as i1pro(1/2) or spyder to calibrate the screen?

Right, I'd love to hear people's actual hands on experiences listing what devices and software apps they've actually used on these displays. Latent image stability is also an issue that could be important on these displays.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

John S C

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:26:25 am »

The only device I've tried is the Display 2. I have contacted X-Rite and they state that the Pro should work fine with the retina display.

As CEDP now support the Pro model, I'll probably upgrade to the Pro in the next month or two. But as I am getting a reasonable match between the MBP and my desktop machine I'm not in any real hurry at the moment, as I have a lot on in the next few weeks

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:50:45 am »

I had no problem  running i1Profiler and an i1Display 2, which was connected to a thunderbolt display so power to the puck came through the display.  Resulting profile was fine, (I normally set a white point at 6100k which gives me my best color match to output), no color bias or visual oddities and the two displays were nearly a perfect match once I profiled both of them.

John S C

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:36:53 am »

Wayne

Thanks for your reply. I think Ive found the problem, the 1-One display has failed. It worked fine the previous day, but when I came to use it in the MBP Retina it gave a weird result.  A day or so latter I tried it again on my iMac and I got the same weird result. So it looks as though something odd has happened even though it passed the diagnostics. As CEDP now supports the i-One Pro, looks like I'll be getting that in a day or so.

John C

apollodragon

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:44:53 pm »

Hi John

I know you've solved the problem now, but I thought you might be interested to hear my experience, which is identical to yours...

I bought a new Macbook Pro with Retina display, could not get the i1 Display2 to work, found it would work with a powered USB hub, got the strong orange/red cast when trying to profile it, tried it on a windows xp machine that I had profiled fine a few months back and had the same poor result. I actually contacted x-rite tech support who told me to download/run a diagnostic tool and when I sent them the results (log file report) they confirmed the unit had failed.

Probably co-incidence, but very strange that we should both have units that recently worked fine but then suddenly failed after going through the same process. Just wondering whether the usb 3.0 has somehow damaged the unit (more power can be drawn from usb 3.0 than usb 2.0 I think?) or whether something else fishy is going on? I know there's nothing we can do about it now of course, but would be interesting to know if anyone else has had the same experience....?

All the best

Ben

zardoz

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:21 am »

Hi,

I have noticed the same issue with the Spyder 3 elite - the display comes up very pink out of the box and the calibrator makes a minor difference to this.  Also noticed a similar but less severe trend with the thunderbolt and iMac displays.

All my CCFL panels (Dell 3007WFP-HC, HP LP2475w, Dell 2405 and an HP 19") come up fine.

I'm concerned that even if I drop the dosh on the i1 that I'll see similar issues.

Could someone share their ICC profiles with me so I can verify that there's at least some improvement before I rush out and buy a new device?  Cheers!

John S C

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 03:55:19 am »

Ben

Thanks for the reply. Yes very interesting I also wonder if anyone else has had the problem ? Twice is coincidence etc.

I have purchased the i-One pro and it works a treat with CEDP. Much faster it seems than the old device and a much tighter calibration.

Have not tried the packaged software yet , but the fact you  can measure ambient illumination is a nice touch

Again thanks for taking the trouble to reply

John C

gromit

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 09:42:55 pm »

I don’t believe any vendor has a solution yet for the Retina displays. Welcome to the bleeding edge.

Works great with basICColor display 5 and an old Optix XR. The canned profile is pretty good for colour but too contrasty and with blocked shadows.

LA30

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 09:21:43 pm »

MY 2 cents are as follows.

On a 2011 iMac (I know you are asking about the Retina) I calibrated it with my old eye one Display-2.  It calibrated after some trial and it looked blue.

The studio I work at purchased the color munki display / passport bundle and I calibrated it with the newer color munki and wow, what a difference.

My i1 display 2 is going in the trash can and I purchased the i1Display Pro to use with my personal NEC spectraview monitor at home.  That puck lasted years and I got my use out of it.  After the difference I saw on the iMac I won't be using it again on the NEC.

What ever happens, get a new piece of hardware.

Best of luck with the new lighting fast laptop!

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up