Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening in LR, when to do it  (Read 8106 times)

tintop

Sharpening in LR, when to do it
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:04:11 pm »

I'm relatively new at LR and I have a question regarding when to do sharpening during the LR workflow.

I've worked in Photoshop for years and I will not uncommonly send files to a local processor for simple 4in x 6in prints. My workflow in Photoshop has been to do all the needed corrections to the file and leave sharpening as the last step only after resizing the image to the final output 4in x 6in file size.

The LR workflow in the Develop module appears to recommend file sharpening before the original file is resized to its output size (capture sharpening). Then there appears to be another sharpening step in the Print module.

Do I still do LR sharpening in the Develop module if I'm going to do final output sharpening, say, either in Photoshop or Topaz?

Is the capture sharpening in the Develop module for RAW file sharpening only? I work with TIFFs in LR. I have the Fuji X-Pro1 and I am holding off on using the LR RAW converter until they make some improvements.

TIA.

tintop

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Sharpening in LR, when to do it
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 02:27:13 pm »

The LR workflow in the Develop module appears to recommend file sharpening before the original file is resized to its output size (capture sharpening). Then there appears to be another sharpening step in the Print module.

Do I still do LR sharpening in the Develop module if I'm going to do final output sharpening, say, either in Photoshop or Topaz?

Exactly. Non destructive instruction based capture sharpening in Develop for the full rez master. Output sharpening in Print based on output size requested with info about resolution, paper type etc. Optimized for ink jet! In Export dialog, sharpening can be optimized for screen. True for Web and slide show module. Pretty sure too that book module uses output sharpening like Print, but I don’t think it is optimized for halftone output.

IF you only want capture sharpening and then intend to render the image and output sharpen later (Photoshop), then of course, you’d size for the output and sharpening appropriately at that point.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tintop

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 05:51:39 pm »

Thanks, digital.

tintop

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:03:19 pm »

Is the capture sharpening in the Develop module for RAW file sharpening only? I work with TIFFs in LR. I have the Fuji X-Pro1 and I am holding off on using the LR RAW converter until they make some improvements.

No. But I have a question. Are you shooting (if you are shooting and not scanning) in camera processed JPEGS which you convert to TIFFS for processing in Photoshop or are you shooting with your camera in raw mode and processing the them to TIFFs in ACR/Photoshop?

If shooting in-camera processed JPEGS (or possibly TIFFs in certain Nikon cameras as well) do you have any sharpening set in your camera?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:14:21 pm by Ellis Vener »

tintop

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:13:06 pm »

No. But I have a question. Are you shooting (if yo uare shooting and not scanning) in camera processed JPEGS which you convert to TIFFS for processing in Photoshop or are you shootign with your camera in raw mode and processing the them to TIFFs in ACR/Photoshop?

Ellis,

I'm shooting in raw only and converting the raw files to TIFFs in Silkypix. I then work with the TIFFs in LR/Photoshop. I do this because the raw converter in Silkypix appears to do a better job (at least for now) with Fuji X-Pro1 raw files than LR/ACR. I hate having to do this, but I'm waiting for Adobe to improve on the raw converter in LR for this camera.

tintop

JMPhoto

• Kansas City Photography: Weddings, Portraits, & More
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 04:34:41 pm »

I thought adobe just released a RAW update for the X-1?

tintop

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:45:20 pm »

I thought adobe just released a RAW update for the X-1?

They did but there appears to be demosaicing issues.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=67526.0

I'm waiting for the next upgrade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up