Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 617 solutions for digital  (Read 8022 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
617 solutions for digital
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:19:19 am »

What are the best and least expensive options for shooting 6x17 with digital?
617 and least expensive don't seem to go together often. I like the format, but can't invest in a dedicated film 617 Linhof or other body.
Any thoughts on stitching techniques that would give repeatable results for 617?

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
Re: 617 solutions for digital
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:55:27 am »

Not the least expensive, but your topic made me think of the Gilde,
the camera is both film and digital, unfortunately his website is gone, here a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZKL-SUhD0
Saw it at the Kina a few years ago. I think P1 helped him with the stitching back, that was derived from the Flexadapter.

Any technical with a lot of side shift may be interesting, Alpa XY maybe?
There were already LF technical wideangle cameras before digital, Silvestri and Horseman, and maybe others. You just need a way to put your DB on them and to stitch.

Tom

theguywitha645d

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 11:24:49 am »

There was a 6x17 back made for 4x5 cameras. You were limited to focal lengths--150mm on the long end and then you had a limit to the short because of film to lens distance. The other way is to shoot a 6x12 back on a 4x5 and crop. There are some inexpensive Chinese cameras as well.

To make a digital stitch, there is a 4x5 DSLR sliding mount available. I am not sure about the limits to the movements because of the mount/mirror box depth. They can be found on ebay.

You can also just take a digital camera and use stitching software.

Ajoy Roy

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:57:24 am »

Panorama stitching is the only option, unless you want to use a scanning back - http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm

The only problem is that the "6" part of 6x16 is not available on any but the most expensive 645 back, hence the inexpensive part goes for a toss. With a 645 back you will need at least 4 shots for 6x17. For Landscape the Seitz may have an edge over stitching, but nothing beats a single shot.

Red was supposed to be introducing a 6x17 back, but that is still vapourware.
Ajoy Roy, image processing

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:17:17 am »

There is another scanning back option which uses lenses from the Linhof film 612 camera.

Here is one of the emails from the engineer Martin Langfeld which will give some detail as well as his contact details.

I am very interested in his approach but nervous of all the retouching that may be required to artifacts introduced by movement (of leaves, for example) during the tri-linear scanning.

If anyone gets to try one of his backs, please let me know how you found the results.
Roger

To: 'Roger Hayman' <Rogerhayman@xtra.co.nz>
Cc: 'Georg Pilz' <g.pilz@panoartec.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 1 May 2012 11:29 PM
Subject: AW: Digital backs for 1:2 ratio cameras

Hello Roger,

we supply a special 612 adaptor which allows to mount 612 lenses and viewfinders on a Rencay scanback.

There are two scanbacks, made especially for photographic applications:

Rencay foto8 with a resolution of 8000 x 13000 x RGB pixels and a max. scan time of 26s for a full scan and
Rencay foto4 with a resolution of 4000 x 6500 x RGB pixels and a max. scan time of 13s for a full scan

Both scanbacks have a scan area of 72mm x 118 m. The 612 lens is mounted with a shift of 8mm as on the 612 film camera. The bigger scan area of 72mm can be used as "digital shift".
The scanback delivers an exceptional image quality with high dynamic range.

Prices are 16900 EUR for the foto8 and 9900 EUR for the foto4 plus shipping and tax.

A battery pack is included and allows ca. 5 hours operation. The scanback is connected to a notebook or powerful tablet computer with USB2.
At the moment Windows7 is supported, MAC OS X follows in autumn.

With best regards
Martin Langfeld
Tel +49 (0)8841 67214 51
Fax +49 (0)8841 67214 59
EMail m.langfeld@rencay.de
RENCAY - cameras and systems with power
Dipl.Ing. Martin Langfeld
Hauptstr. 4
D-82441 Ohlstadt
Tel +49 (0)8841 67214 50
www.rencay.de
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:57:11 am »

Are there any workable solutions using a DSLR on a pan head?
Something that would allow a repeatable rotation of the camera that would approximate a 6x17 format?
Oriented vertically it looks like it would take 8-9 exposures overlapping 1/2 of the previous frame to get the 6x17 ratio. Ideally there would be hard stops at either end of the rotation.

gerald.d

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:42:59 am »

Are there any workable solutions using a DSLR on a pan head?
Something that would allow a repeatable rotation of the camera that would approximate a 6x17 format?
Oriented vertically it looks like it would take 8-9 exposures overlapping 1/2 of the previous frame to get the 6x17 ratio. Ideally there would be hard stops at either end of the rotation.

Seitz VR Drive 2.

http://www.roundshot.ch

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:11:07 am »

Nice, but expensive. any suggestions that are more manual?
Don't need the motor, not doing 360 deg pans or gigapixel images, just 6x17 format single row image stitch.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:12:45 am by soboyle »

Pingang

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 12:49:40 pm »

the least expensive way is certainly stitching, and arguable you could have the best quality - as the scanning camera like the Seitz 617 - although they have limitaitons.  The issue with 617 is that you have only 617, to stitch, you can have a lot more, especially you can do multi-row stitching, but then of course there are limitation, like eveything else.
I used to shoot a lot of 617 and 612 (using PCII) with film but sine digital stitching, I am as happy as I could not to have to bring those camera/lens around, and the 4-6 shots to have to change films.  Considering one is actually capturing the center stripe of a image circle, with the far end stretched, I prefer the stitching with more nature perspective. Or, I can always get a crop image from my IQ backs or even Canon/Nikon DLSR.

Pingang

gerald.d

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 01:18:50 pm »

Nice, but expensive. any suggestions that are more manual?
Don't need the motor, not doing 360 deg pans or gigapixel images, just 6x17 format single row image stitch.

Manfrotto 303SPH.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:16:22 pm »

What are the best and least expensive options for shooting 6x17 with digital?
617 and least expensive don't seem to go together often. I like the format, but can't invest in a dedicated film 617 Linhof or other body.
Any thoughts on stitching techniques that would give repeatable results for 617?

Is this not the answer? http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm
I would of thought for ease of use if you really want to shoot 617 in a single quick shot, then something with film in wins hands down.
Or about three sync'd cameras mounted together with matching lenses.Three Nex 7's would be quite useful.

Kevin.

http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm
Kevin.

gerald.d

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »

I've just re-read the first post.

You don't have to spend a fortune to do 6x17 with film.

I've got a Walker 5x7 large format camera and a Canham motorized 6x17 back. Sadly doesn't get much use these days. New retail price of that combination is under £2,500. Obviously you need a lens as well.

Obviously a very flexible option as it also opens up 5x7 and 4x5 large format opportunities.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 08:36:47 pm »

I like the idea of having a 5x7 or 4x5, particularly fixed with a scanning back, but I think for now something like the manfrotto 300N is what will work for me, or possibly the Nodal Ninja NN4. I want to experiment with the wide format before investing heavily in it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up