Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Impatient. Toronto...  (Read 18794 times)

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Re: Impatient. Toronto...
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 07:58:22 am »

I have carried a purse since 1992. It all started when my chiropractor told me my wallet was throwing off my spine alignment. I tried a "soft" wallet in a front pocket, but it wasn't very successful. I found a small man's purse in a store in Dallas. Then, on a trip to Italy in 1996, I saw several men carrying a small purse, but larger than the one I was using, with a hand strap. I bought one in Florence. I used it until this year when I went with a small strapped bag (Billingham) so I could also carry my NEX-7 along with a my other paraphenalia. While I am not usually one  to care about fashion, I'm told its very chic (and my wife likes it!).

Ray

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 08:16:23 am »

If you are lucky to live in a country where you can keep kangaroos, you could get a female walkabout model and put all the small gear into her pouch.  But I hear, they are always pregnant, so that would mean some delicate handling. Nevertheless, in high elevations, they could be a real help.

Maybe also a rucksack on her back. I used to have one for my late Bouvier, but never could completely trust him with a phone or camera.

Les, am I ever going to live this down? ;D

Having recently tried to demonstrate the dangers of following Alain Briot's advice that anything goes in the name of photographic art, by placing a few kangaroos in some vacant parts of a couple of my compositions taken outside of Australia, am I now going to be perpetually hoisted by my own petard?  ;D

Ray

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 08:19:39 am »

This is too funny. No one who saw me would think that wearing the most fashionable clothes was my first priority. It's clearly not in the top ten. And yet even with plenty of pockets, I still prefer a bag for the larger stuff.

Of course, if something is too large to fit in one's pocket, such as a D800E, one either needs a bag for it, or carry the camera around one's neck, as I generally do. I take some comfort in the fact that it is unlikely that any thief on a motorbike is going to attempt to snatch my camera from around my neck, because a camera that's been knocked around in a struggle is likely to be damaged and therefore worthless. In addition there's always the risk for the thief, if the attempted robbery fails, that I might be able to take a quick photo of my assailant.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 10:31:35 am »

Of course, if something is too large to fit in one's pocket, such as a D800E, one either needs a bag for it, or carry the camera around one's neck, as I generally do. I take some comfort in the fact that it is unlikely that any thief on a motorbike is going to attempt to snatch my camera from around my neck, because a camera that's been knocked around in a struggle is likely to be damaged and therefore worthless. In addition there's always the risk for the thief, if the attempted robbery fails, that I might be able to take a quick photo of my assailant.

Ray, you're in danger of becoming a troll: you're doing this mindbending on purpose!

Mae West, indeed!

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 11:02:33 am »

In addition there's always the risk for the thief, if the attempted robbery fails, that I might be able to take a quick photo of my assailant.

Unquote

Ah.....would it be any good? :) ;)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 11:58:33 am »

Les, am I ever going to live this down? ;D

Having recently tried to demonstrate the dangers of following Alain Briot's advice that anything goes in the name of photographic art, by placing a few kangaroos in some vacant parts of a couple of my compositions taken outside of Australia, am I now going to be perpetually hoisted by my own petard?  ;D

Ray, I just couldn't help it. Those incredible images made a strong and lasting emotional impact on me.

Ray

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »

In addition there's always the risk for the thief, if the attempted robbery fails, that I might be able to take a quick photo of my assailant.

Unquote

Ah.....would it be any good? :) ;)

Good question!  I think we could say from my assailants' perspective such a photo would not be good at all. It could be disastrous for them. On the other hand, the police might find such a photo to be excellent.

Also from an artistic perspective, the blurred movement of flailing arms as the thieves attempt their escape, could have an esthetic appeal and add meaning to the shot.  ;D

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 01:19:55 am »

Have you thought about a handbag!

Jim

Years ago an old friend of mine - who bore some semblance to me except he was about 6'2 and about 250 lb - was sitting in a bar having a coffee with his bag on the counter.  A woman walked up to him and, pointing to the bag on the counter asked him what it was.  He replied, succinctly, "That's my purse."  "Your what?" she asked.  "My purse." he replied.  "What kind of a man carries a purse!?!?" she exclaimed.  He looked at her cooly and said, "Lady, it takes a hell of a man to carry a purse."

Mike.

P.S. Mine has beadwork on it.
If your mind is attuned t

John Camp

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 02:44:16 am »

Cargo pants.

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 03:56:13 am »

Cargo pants.

Is that a term of abuse?

Rob C

Colorado David

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 01:16:16 pm »

Is that a term of abuse?

Rob C

You mean like Lard-Ass?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:30 pm »

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 02:11:49 pm »

. I've just been trying to remember the last time that I actually ran - I think I vaguely recall a slight trot, but actually running is too far in the past to envisage clearly. Hmmm...

Rob C

I normally do not run either.  As a matter of fact, if you see me running, you better start running in the same direction too. Because there is definitely something really bad in the other direction!   ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up