Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Journey from 35mm Digital to MFD  (Read 4033 times)

Richard Osbourne

• Richard Osbourne Art Images
My Journey from 35mm Digital to MFD
« on: June 23, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »

Hello Luminous Landscape People

I've been a lurker for a few years, wondering what I was missing with my Canons. I've benefited hugely from all your posts during that time - thank you all so much for your contributions. I figured it was time for me to give something back. Perhaps save a few hours/days of pain for someone out there.

So, for any of you wondering whether to make the jump to medium format, here's my (long) blog post:

http://www.richardosbourne.com/blog/2012/6/a-new-camera

Hope you enjoy it.

best
Richard

amsp

Re: My Journey from 35mm Digital to MFD
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:12:30 pm »

Very nice writeup, I enjoyed reading it. I was surprised by your statement that your Mamiya didn't have Mirror Up though, as far as I know they all do, my old AFD sure does.

Richard Osbourne

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:18:39 pm »

You're right, it does have mirror lockup - but it doesn't work with the P45+ unfortunately. I don't know about any other backs.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 05:39:18 pm »

Hello,

I use a Mamiya 645AFDII with a Leaf Aptus 75 and the mirror up function works fine.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

amsp

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:52:52 pm »

You're right, it does have mirror lockup - but it doesn't work with the P45+ unfortunately. I don't know about any other backs.

How does it not work exactly? I've never heard this statement before so there might be some problem with your camera body.

Smoothjazz

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 12:13:19 am »

I am in the same boat, now trying out a new Arca 3Mdi system in medium format. I am trying to do everything with live view, which is some work, but can be done. I had thought that getting exposures right would be difficult with a manual camera, and got out my Pentax spot meter from my large format days.
You are right, it was surprising how easy it seems to estimate the right exposure with one or two shots. Once you have established your exposure, it remains relatively constant.
I remember reading how Brett Weston took photos without a meter, and thought; 'wow, how can anyone do that', but it seems that it is not that difficult perhaps, particularly with digital cameras.
For me currently, just learning a new system, focusing is the biggest challenge.

Richard Osbourne

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:09:19 am »

Yes, we've been pretty spoiled by our high tech DSLR's. I'm finding it a very 'pure' experience to have such a simple camera and my creativity and not much else.

As regards the AFD, I was told by my dealer that the Mark I mirror lockup doesn't work with a digital back but he could be wrong.

Here's someone else having a similar problem:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/36407-mirror-lock-up-mamiya-645-afdi-iq160.html

And here's the solution (thanks Ray - aka ondebanks):

If you lock up the mirror, the metering and AF systems receive no further light, so they can't function. You'll get a blinking "-no- AE" error message on the top LCD of the AFD, if you try to release the shutter while using one of the P/Av/Tv modes.

So if the camera is setting the exposure and/or focus for you, you must lock them in (press the AE lock button) before turning the M-Up lever. I bet that will solve your problem?

If you're using one of the M/X modes, setting the exposure manually, there should be no problem - it should fire with the M-Up set. Mine does.

Among the things I like about the original AFD is that once set, the AE lock and M-Up last as long as you please, and the M-Up lever, being mechanical, does not drain battery power in long exposures. This is sadly not the case with the later bodies (which also dumped the T setting, a no-battery-drain long exposure mode for film backs).

Ray
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:11:30 am by Richard Osbourne »

Richard Osbourne

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:49:15 am »

I'm glad to report that Ray's advice was correct. The AFDI does lockup the mirror with the Phase back (and others I suspect) but only in manual exposure mode with focus locked, or, in my case, with a manual lens that doesn't trouble the AF. That's a relief!

Richard

amsp

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 08:55:39 am »

I'm glad to report that Ray's advice was correct. The AFDI does lockup the mirror with the Phase back (and others I suspect) but only in manual exposure mode with focus locked, or, in my case, with a manual lens that doesn't trouble the AF. That's a relief!

Richard

If you don't have the instruction manual you can download it here:
http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/documentation_legacy_645.asp

Richard Osbourne

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 09:40:54 am »

Perfect, thanks.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:57:38 am »

Great writeup Richard and congratulations on the new system.

Don

Richard Osbourne

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 01:10:48 pm »

Thanks Don. I'm certainly loving it at the moment.

ondebanks

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:12:59 am »

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm delighted that you found that my post solved your mirror-up problem.

You have some truly beautiful work in your website. Excellent blog about your experience too. This line particularly resonated with me:
> "However, get this: the 5DII screen flatters your shots - they never look that good on the computer. With the Phase, it's the other way round. On the screen: meh. On the computer: OMG, look at that! Wow! Etc. etc."

...that's precisely my experience too, with a 5DII and a Kodak DCS645M. DB screens (prior to the IQ/Credo) never do any sort of justice to the image. With the 5DII, you might think you bagged a real winner, then you go home to find the focus/noise/colour is poorer than you thought.

> "With a bit of use, this issue more or less went away, but not before I spent a  couple of hours running around Balleyboffey in the Republic of Ireland trying to find some new CF cards. Not an afternoon I would like to repeat."

I wouldn't expect to find a place selling CF cards in Ballybofey either! :D It's tiny...and usually spelt with one "f". You'd probably have to go to either Letterkenny (20km) or Derry city (45km) to find a well stocked electronics/photo retailer.

PM me if you ever come over to Galway/Connemara.

Cheers,
Ray

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 09:56:06 am »

Nice report on your experiences with medium format digital---and the best part is your wife sees the difference and approves!   ;D

ken

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 12:16:10 pm »

Nice write up,  I also have found the need for a CL-PL not as necessary, something I still don't quite understand.   If fact I believe that
in many instances a CL-PL seems to create more problems.  Especially with the wides, Rod 28 and Sch 35mm, not the usual issues where
you get the polarized effect on only half the sky, but a more intense color cast problem.  However if working around water, you still have
reflection, glare issues that only a CL-PL will cut. 

Thanks for posting
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Richard Osbourne

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:00 pm »

Ray

We managed to find the only 3 CF cards left in Balleybofey - dusty packs hidden in the back of displays. I reckon they never thought they'd ever sell them. Lucky for us MFD is stuck in a previous technological age! Galway / Connemara was on the list for this last trip but we were defeated by the tricky Irish roads - not many motorways in Donegal. Will look you up when I'm over that way again. Thanks for the kind words about my work - much appreciated.

Ken, thanks. And yes, the miracle of wifely approval is not lost on me, I can tell you. Not sure I would have had such a warm response had I blown £40k on a new Linhof Techno/IQ180 system...

And thanks Paul. Yes, polarisers are still necessary for some subjects. And I think you may be right about weird colour casts. I used one today so will look out for that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up