Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error message when opening lightroom 4, cannot open  (Read 8530 times)

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
Error message when opening lightroom 4, cannot open
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:56:03 am »

When trying to open Lightroom I get:
The Lightroom catalog named "Lightroom 4 catalog" cannot be opened because another application already has it opened.
the suggestion is to close the othr application or choose a different catalog, the only different catalog is LR 3
I can't think of another application that would have it opened, nothing in task manager suggests so and I've re-booted and am flumoxed.
This occured after an unexpected shutdown and an install of a new version of Acronis back-up software.
Windows 7 64 bit.
Problem solved thanks to Adobe Forums cc'd here:
Go to the folder that contains your catalog and in there you should find a file entitled yourcatalogname.lrcat.lock. This is the temporary lock file which is created when a catalog is opened (and thus prevents anyone else trying to use it), and is deleted when the catalog is closed. In your case, i.e. an abnormal termination, the file never got deleted so now LR thinks it's already open. Simply delete the lock file (and make sure you don't delete the catalog by mistake!), then restart LR.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:09:43 pm by Rusty »

terryco

• http://
Re: Error message when opening lightroom 4, cannot open
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:01:11 pm »

I've had this problem when the short cut is not set to 'Open as Administrator".

Costa Junior

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:52:55 pm »

On LR 3, whenever a crash occurs, it's automatically generated an "lock" file. I'm not pretty sure whether this is also true for LR 4, but it worths trying: go into your LR folder, look for a file whose name has "lock" in it, and delete it. Be careful not to delete your root file, though, or you would loose all the changes made on the photos...

aduke

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »

On LR 3, whenever a crash occurs, it's automatically generated an "lock" file. I'm not pretty sure whether this is also true for LR 4, but it worths trying: go into your LR folder, look for a file whose name has "lock" in it, and delete it. Be careful not to delete your root file, though, or you would loose all the changes made on the photos...

The "lock" file is actually named "your catalog name".lrcat.lock.

As far as I know, this has been true on every version of LR and it is also true of LR5 beta.

The file is created to try to disallow two computers from opening the same catalog at the one time. It is not completely fool-proof, but you must be extremely lucky to defeat it.

Alan

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:24:21 pm »

Always good to hear from folks even a year later. Thanks all, problem was solved as you replied and /edited OP
Pages: [1]   Go Up