Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brandlehow Bay  (Read 1262 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Brandlehow Bay
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:32:32 am »

Another from recent visit to the Borrowdale area of the Lakes....comments thoughts welcome?

Brandlehow Bay by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Tony Jay

Re: Brandlehow Bay
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:03:55 am »

I think this image has a lot of promise but it appears to have some odd tonal relationships.

The reflections of the sky off the water seem too bright and unnatural.
I am not exactly sure but it looks as if some of the sky has been darkened but not the reflection.

With some work I think it could be a winner since the composition itself is good.

Regards

Tony Jay

Kerry L

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:11:11 am »

I agree with Tony, here's an image with potential. Working at the tonal range in various areas will certainly make this into something special.

In my mind, there's a bit too much forground, but unless the cloud reflections can be tamed, it probably shouldn't be cropped.

As usual Shawn, nice.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:10:15 am »

Very nice image, I really like the composition. There is a nice rhythm to it.
I guess I'm going to have to disagree with suggestions to darken reflections. For me they
are accurately showing the sky.  However, I think I would darken bottom right corner some.
I would also like upper left corner opened up more. It feels as though there was a vignette applied that is out of place.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 09:00:57 am »

Brilliant photograph - truly beautiful! Toning down the foreground would draw the eye up into the photograph more. As well, there does not seem to be any detail in the brightest parts of the sky, but that be more a factor of the image being a jpeg rather than a fine print.

Thanks for continuing to share such wonderful photographs of two very picturesque parts of England: Yorkshire and the Lake District.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 04:52:24 pm »

Tony Kerry walt and Terry...thank you all for thoughts/comments...very useful all of them, ive not looked at the image for a week, coming back seeing it online and reading your thoughts...they all make very good sense, i shall work this one accordingly.

apologies for late reply been away....camera packed of course.
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 07:51:34 pm »

...ive not looked at the image for a week ... apologies for late reply been away....camera packed of course...

That's the best reason of all for not answering posts!
I trust the time was fruitful.

Regards

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up