Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: St Kilda's - Isle of Mull  (Read 1501 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
St Kilda's - Isle of Mull
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »

Just had a few very enjoyable days at a friend's cottage on the isle of Mull. Not too much time for photography, but I did get the chance to take a few pictures inside an old and beautiful little church called St Kilda's.

I have not placed any of the items in front of the window, they were already there and seem a very odd collection of items, that all seem to have something to do with the sea. I believe it could be items pilgrims leave in the church when they visit these ancient churches in and around the highlands and islands and especially the Abbey at Iona.

And finally, is this type of presentation something you all find acceptable and [snip] unecessary sarcasm used [/snip]  ::)

Dave
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:28:15 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

popnfresh

Re: St Kilda's - Isle of Mull
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:28:26 pm »

I like how the light coming in through the stained glass window illuminates its surroundings.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 12:55:59 pm »

Come on Dave, I was talking about prints, not web files. It's pretty hard to manually sign a web file. Yes, I think this is acceptable presentation, though the canvas seems a bit distracting. How about going to a middle-gray canvas and using the opacity slider to subdue the copyright notice and signature.

Great shot. Next to street this kind of thing is what I love most.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:38:51 pm »

I would have preferred that the bottom objects were the focal points. Showing the whole window detracts from the rather nice and interesting bottom 1/5 th of the shot.

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 06:43:32 pm »

I would have preferred that the bottom objects were the focal points. Showing the whole window detracts from the rather nice and interesting bottom 1/5 th of the shot.

It's funny, isn't it?  We all see and think differently.  Whereas you want to reduce the window by closing in on the offered artefacts, I feel that the crop is too tight at the top and that by pulling back a tad the effect might be that the offertory is embraced in an alcove which contains a stained glass window rather than being just duo-syllabic — window / oddities.

Cheers,

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 08:14:31 am »

+1 I agree with Walt. Dave, I'm becoming quite a fan of your work, wish I was closer to your lovely locales!!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »

Come on Dave, I was talking about prints, not web files.

No problem Russ, only trying to give you a good natured dig in the ribs  ;D

Walter - I couldn't pull back any further, as there was a large altar/podium right at my left elbow and sort of in front left of the window, that took quite some wiggling and tripod manipulation just to eliminate from the shot, as I didn't have my wide angle with me, just the 24-105 - BTW, it was midday and the church was completely empty, so I wasn't disturbing anyone when I took the shot. St Kilda's is situated in a quiet coastal location, so I had it all to myself and I did not disturb a thing other than dust and a few spiders.

louoates - I did actually try getting in close before the wider shot shown here, because of the above mentioned altar/podium sticking into the left hand corner of the shot, which I thought would stop me getting the full window, until I decided it was worth putting more effort into getting all of it in, including all the items in front as best as I could. But for the much easier close in perspective at the 24 end, I couldn't find an acceptable framing of Saint Oran that didn't look like I was cutting him in half or chopping him off at the knees etc.

Kevin - Thanks for that and I am so glad that you like my work.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and I will do as you ask Russ and re-post  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:23:03 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: [1]   Go Up