Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem printing to Custom Size papers with IMac OSX Lion & Epson 3800  (Read 1748 times)

patcleeve

I have been producing panoramic prints of up to 16" X 36"  using an I Mac with OSX Snow Leopard and an Epson 3800 with no problems. I "upgraded" my operating system from Snow Leopard to Lion at the beginning of May. The result was disastrous I could not  set and save the print parameters for the fine art papers and canvas I use with Matte Black inks. When print was selected the parameters defaulted to sheet feeder and premium photo paper semi-gloss and photo black.

Initially I contacted Epson as I thought it was their printer drivers. After unloading and reloading the Epson drivers and conducting tests guided by the Epson team over a couple of days no solution had been found.  My contact at Epson then reproduced the printer and Mac set up I was using as closely as they could. (they used a 3880 printer) They found  exactly the same problem. Print parameters could not be saved in Photoshop on Mac's with OSX Lion.

They advised me that there was nothing they could do or recommend as the fault was in OSX Lion.

I phoned the Apple help desk and was put through to  a supervisor. I explained the problem and at her request sent screen shots detailing each stage in the process. She advised me that she would "take ownership" of the problem, forward my screen shots to the engineers and get back to me within two days.

Two days later she phoned me and directed me to an OSX Lion Update (10.7.4 Client Combo) which I downloaded and installed.

The result was disappointing whilst I could now set and save print parameters for standard size papers, once a custom paper size was selected the parameters would not save. The update had resolved some of the problems but I could not print my Panoramic images. I switched from Photoshop to Aperture, and found that whilst in Aperture the correct print parameters were saved the panoramic image would not print. I contacted my the supervisor at Apple again and at her request sent screen shots describing the problems. She acknowledged receipt and said she would pass on the information to their software engineers.

Ten days later she phoned me and advised me that the software engineers have been unable to find a solution and was aware of no immediate plans to do so.

Apart from reverting to my previous operating system which will give problems in other areas (I Cloud and I Web) I am not sure what to do next. I cannot afford RIP software or to ditch my Mac for a PC, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net

Pat,

I have very similar problems with saving presets (See: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=67536.0). Upon further investigation with Epson, I found that it was mostly related to their latest driver v 8.6.4 when using custom paper sizes, which I use quite frequently. Epson promised they would send it to their software engineers to investigate and correct, but I'm not holding my breath for a fix. Perhaps many who are using this version of Epson's driver and Lion are not using custom paper sizes, but for those of us that do, it is a royal PIA.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

patcleeve

Ed

I have received a phone call from an Apple Executive Relations Manager today 22/06/12 regarding the OSX Lion printing problems I detailed earlier She confirmed that:

Apple technical team was aware of the problems.
They did not have a solution.
They were confident that the next issue of OSX Mountain Lion would resolve the problems.
She could not tell me when Mountain Lion would be released.

So those of us who want to print panoramic images will just have to wait hopefully, revert to Snow Leopard, buy expensive RIP software or a PC

Hardly a satisfactory outcome considering the investment made in our Mac's
Pages: [1]   Go Up