Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Framing?  (Read 4382 times)

One Frame at a Time

Advice on Framing?
« on: June 20, 2012, 02:45:18 pm »

Hi,

I have been thinking of getting a 3880 (or even larger - someday) printer.   I have been working in 13x19 and mostly printing 11x14.  This size fits a wide selection of reasonably priced, matted - frames available at craft stores (when on sale for 50% off).  I am a serious amateur.  My images mostly decorate my home and occasionally give as gifts.  On the couple of occasions I displayed my work publicly (in restaurants), I made some sales.  But I don't expect to put bread on the table with photography.  

While I am enthralled by the idea of putting out larger prints (you can get a 3880 for about 850 today), I am not so sure about how to go about displaying them once I print!?  
From what I have discovered, 16x20 prints require a custom 22 x 26 (or 28) Mat and frame.  The cost seems prohibitive.  I expect that many 3880 printers are being used by people like me and wondering how they display these larger prints?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:49:21 pm by One Frame at a Time »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Advice on Framing?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:08:49 pm »

I have been thru this myself. The print is the least of your costs - the framing always seems to be a lot more! For my recent show of 22 about 16 x 20 photos, I estimate that the framing cost me $50-60 per print even though I cut my own matts and bought my metal frames on the web. I am considering moving to gallery wraps and dibond mounting if only to get away from the frame/matt/glazing hassle, but it won't necessarily be cheaper.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:27 pm »

Most often, I use 20x24", sometimes 18x24" and rarely am able to get 22x28" frames. These are all standard sizes, particularly the first two. I cut my own mats so have a bit more flexibility there, but generally the standard-sized frames come with mats (although not usually acid-free).

At the local Framing Warehouse (independently-owned chain) I am able to purchase 20x24 per-made wooden frames in a variety of shades for $65. I also like the ultra-thin profile black frames (Frameatic Fineline) from Vistek here in Canada.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:17:34 pm »

I buy a lot of frames at www.pictureframes.com. My frames are all large and custom size. They offer - by far - the best prices I’ve come across for wood frames.

Sometimes I use mats and other times I use a 3” or larger white border around the frame print and forego the matting. Galleries in particular seem to like the print with white border or matting.

For matted frames I make my own but many local suppliers will do this for a small fee. Around here (Seattle) a company named Jayeness Moulding will cut any size mats for the cost of the materials plus $5 per piece cut. Check out your local vendors for this, but definately check out pictureframes.com.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:09:57 pm by Justan »

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:57:41 pm »

I wouldn't recommend altering what you think is the best composition for an image in order to fit a frame with a "standard" aspect (height/width) ratio. Numerous places like frame destination offer relatively inexpensive custom sized frames and mats. If you're doing larger volumes you might cut your own mats. Otherwise it might be beneficial to standardize on a few of your own "standard" aspect ratios that work well with most of your images, but you're still bound to get some good images that won't fit nicely in any of them.
- Dean

Peter Mellis

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:59:12 pm »

When I frame something, either for myself or as a gift (and like you, occasional sale), I like to use 8 ply mats. I have found through experience (my wife is an interior decorator and has excellent framing resources) that these mats need to be computer cut. After playing around with craft store frames and professional framers, I've been buying mats (virtually all 8 ply) and frames from a company called Frame Destination ( http://www.framedestination.com/ ), for the last eight or so years. Even at larger sizes, I think that their combination of price, quality and service can't be beat. I have framed prints up to 17 X 25 (did 10 in one pass, for sale) using frames/mats from them, at a price per picture that was very competitive and substantially below a custom framer. An added plus is that they are reasonable as far as shipping goes and over-pack everything.

No connection whatsoever; just a very satisfied customer.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:24:31 pm »

+1 for Frame Destination.  Good products and quick service.  I buy my frames and plexi from them.  I've found the Dick Blick is best for mat and foam board in terms of price.  I mount images on foam board with a 4 ply mat overlay.  I cut my own mats with a middle of the road Logan mat cutter which works fine since my output is relatively modest in terms of gifts/sales.

RBland

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 08:40:42 am »

This place: http://www.framingsupplies.com/

Usually the best prices on frames and mat, especially if you buy several at once.

Brad Barr

• Brads Wedding Website
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:22 pm »

You guys need to check out http://artfulpictureframes.com
Prices are fantastic.   As for mats...for those that print their own, print the mat too.  You can create any sort of texture you wish, and thats one less step.  I print it all, and then mount to fomecore, and pop into frame every week.  24x30 frames from these guys 29-60 bucks for the ones I use.  Fomecore by the box is pretty inexpensive as well.  

Here a couple that I printed the "matte" along w the picture.

Brad
www.bciphoto.com
www.bci-sports.com
www.sportsshooter.com/photobrad

D3s, D3, D300, Nikon: 14-24 2.8, 24-120 f4VR 70-200VRII, 300 2.8, 400 2.8VR; 1.7-TC2, Siggy 50 & 85 1.4's + Spiderholster, D300 IR just for grins.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 03:52:26 pm »

Thanks everyone.  Brad,  really like the way you did that!  How do you make the border around the print (If I may ask) to separate it from the printed "matt"?  Is that part of a  photoshop plug in?

Thanks,

Paul

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 08:38:12 pm »

I'd only point out that the main purpose of a mat is to physically separate the print from the glass. Over long periods of time this can damage the print surface and can even cause it to stick to the glass. Prints that don't have a "real" mat should use a spacer between the print border and the glass to keep the two surfaces apart.
- Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up