Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Old and the New  (Read 3242 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
The Old and the New
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:09:47 pm »

Spent yesterday shooting in the Cripple Creek gold mining district. I don't consider my results to be fine art photographs, so I'll post a couple now.

First is a processing building from the old Vindicator mine. The actual mine shaft is out of sight to the left of where my tripod's standing, and about half way up the hill. The enhanced atmospheric perspective in the background is caused by wildfires off to the west.

Second is the open pit Cripple Creek and Victor Mine. This is a very small segment of the area being torn up. That tiny toy car near the middle of the road down below is a normal sized pickup. It shows the size of the ore carriers and other working vehicles in the pit.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

popnfresh

Re: The Old and the New
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:22:24 pm »

The second one is almost like a man-made Bryce Canyon. Both interesting and appalling.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:07:26 pm »

I like them both; my reaction to the second was exactly the same as pop's. I suspect they'd both be wonderfully improved by better, less harsh, light.

Jeremy

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:02:14 pm »

Thanks Russ,

Quite a pair.  One speaking of our (man's) wasteful nature and the other of our relentless rape of mother earth.

It is all part of the system by which we enjoy our modern lifestyle and opulence, I know, but one does have to wonder about future generations.

Here in Oz we are riding the mining boom and it is giving us one of the strongest economies in the world ...... for the present.  But once all the goodies have been dug out and shipped off-shore what will there be left of worth?  Surely it is time for those exploiting the riches the earth has to offer need to pay some attention to sustainability and responsibility.

Cheers,

W

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:49 am »

The Cripple Creek goldfields are in a mining boom too, Walter. With the price of gold where it is, the boom's not unexpected.

I remember what this area was like in the late sixties. There was a little bit of mining going on then, but what money the area had was coming mostly from tourism. The downside of tourism was that because at the turn of the century prospectors had riddled the area with what are known locally as "gopher holes," we'd lose a tourist nearly every year when the idiot would ignore the warnings and wander over the interesting countryside, eventually falling into an abandoned, and by then almost totally obscured, mine.

There's no place where you can stand and take in the whole thing. It goes on for miles. As I said in an earlier post, the little ghost town of Elkton, for instance, now lies under a several hundred foot mountain of tailings. Here are a couple more, Pop, to give you a better idea of the extent of the surface mining. The view to the west includes the area of #2, above, and the view to the east shows the beginning of another thousand foot mound of tailings.

Jeremy, There's enough dynamic range in these pictures that I easily could make the light appear less harsh, but I think the harsh light is appropriate to the harsh scenes. This is harsh country.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 02:57:48 pm »

One of the reasons I stopped submitting stock images to iStock, Shutterstock, etc. was their almost universal rejections of images from the desert due to "incorrect light balance" or "poor lighting". In 99% of the cases the light balance was perfect and the poor lighting rejection seemed to be rooted in the inspector's lack of experience of the desert Southwest and the harsh shadows that occur. So I enjoyed these images shown here as really representative of the area.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:19:23 pm »

Russ

This kind of landscape is very familiar to me, because I live just 4 miles away from an area which has been intensively mined for china-clay (or "kaolin") for over two hundred years. This landscape has been ravaged just like yours, and is nothing like most people's idea of verdant Cornwall. In the 1980s I spent several months making a photographic study of the china-clay district and its communities - here are a couple of pictures I made then on my Rollei 2.8F.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:42:44 pm »

One of those images making rounds on the internet (couldn't find the original author, though). I got it from the British Outdoor Photography magazine's Facebook page:

EDIT: John, lovely photos, as usual!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:32:45 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

WalterEG

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:45:25 pm »

John,

How wonderful to be treated to some good old film shot on a Rollei.  Love them.  AND they are wonderfully descriptive and informative.

W

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 06:55:43 pm »

One of those images making rounds on the internet (couldn't find the original author, though). I got it from the British Outdoor Photography magazine's Facebook page:

I must be slowing down mentally. It took two views of this image to "get" it. Wonderful use of graphics to illustrate a point. I don't particularly agree with portraying mining as an evil but appreciate the talent putting forth this view of the issue.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 05:44:24 am »

Thanks Russ for these honest images.

I have just recently spent some time near Tom Price and Newman in Western Australia where there is a mining boom at present..and we watched trains 2km long loaded with coal.... every 2 hours. I was ashamed that I was a part of this consumerism... but am at a loss at how I can genuinely make a difference and stop this use of the Earth's resources.

Julie

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »

The problem isn't the resources - if you don't use them they aren't resources - it's the damage that they do used uncontrolled.

My problem with all mining - offshore petroleum included - is what happens with the hole? You can't keep making these things without expecting, one day, a helluva big plop as part of Earth and ocean vanishes into it. Then what?

Rob C

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 07:23:36 pm »

The problem isn't the resources - if you don't use them they aren't resources - it's the damage that they do used uncontrolled.

My problem with all mining - offshore petroleum included - is what happens with the hole? You can't keep making these things without expecting, one day, a helluva big plop as part of Earth and ocean vanishes into it. Then what?

Rob C
Perhaps we should be building more boats with the stuff that comes out of the holes!  ;D

Julie
Pages: [1]   Go Up