Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas paper for Epson 3880  (Read 8893 times)

Trub

Canvas paper for Epson 3880
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:52:15 am »

Greetings,

Looking to do some gallery wraps and was wondering what paper I should use with my 3880. As you know Epson didn't engineer the ability to use roll paper with this model so I'm left with sheet paper. Also what do those that print on canvas prefer, matte or satin/gloss? I understand with the matte you must coat it with a sealant and with satin/gloss seems to be optional.

Thanks,
Chris

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Canvas paper for Epson 3880
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:02:42 am »

I like breath Color Lyve, works well with my 4880 and I believe it comes in sheets (or buy a roll and cut it yourself).

Be warned that you cannot really do satisfactory wraps on a 17" printer. Because you lose about 1.5 inches of width on each side, your maximum wrap width will be about 14", and at least to my eye such small wraps don't look good. This is why I am jonesing for a 7900.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:05:22 am »

Your biggest limitation with a 38** series printer using canvas is the size of your final gallery wrap: tiny!  Even the 78/79** series printers are pretty limiting and printing canvas gallery wraps becomes a quick argument to justify that new 44" printer....  :D You can probably "cut" canvas media from the roll if needed.  I prefer canvas from Breathing Color.  I coat all canvas, regardless of finish, for protection which also aids in stretching the canvas.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:31:58 am »

Don't mean to hijack this thread but was wondering what kind of Image capture size do you need to jump up to a 44 inch wide print??  Can you begin to get decent results with a cropped sensor, full frame sensor?  Or are all the big prints shot on Med format?  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:33:53 am by One Frame at a Time »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:45:23 am »

Some fairly large examples in my gallery with most from my 12mp days with D300 and D2Xs.
The large B&W on the right side is a single image from Nex 7 printed to 36" x 56" and it is still super sharp.
Most are printed at 180 ppi and the larger ones uprezzed to as much as 200% in Perfect Resize.
The 12mp images hold up real nice to 24" x 36". Over that it starts to get pretty iffy.
Am really excited to print some really huge gallery wraps shot with my Nex 7 and D800E.
You want to print and sell large it takes a 44" printer.

Disclaimer - The Pano under the tv is multi image and the Hubble shot is not mine,an internet download.

To the op.
Try a trial roll of 17" BC Chromatta White or a 17 " roll of Lexjet Sunset Select Matt.
Then you can cut the pieces to any size you like.
Its fun to get it to load. Read the threads on attaching a leader,that works great.
You might want to consider wet mounting to Gatorboard with Miracle Muck. You cat print and mount to about 17" w to the max length 38" or whatever the max is.
Doing a gallery wrap with 17" canvas you will be lucky to get 12"w x the length of your choice.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:31:18 am by Dan Berg »

Trub

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 05:22:19 pm »

Thanks for taking time to reply. Lots of helpful people on the forum and I've been read like crazy taking it all in.

I understand that as a photographers, we like to see large prints but I'm not sure about the buying public. Since I have a 17" wide printer 12" wide gallery wraps are gonna have to do for now. I will have a couple of larger prints made so I can make large gallery wraps and draw people to my booth. Funny thing, women find small objects cute. I can't tell you how many times my wife has commented on how cute something was because it's smaller that a normal object, example a ketchup bottle or salt and pepper shakers you get when you order room service. Not saying large prints are not worth it, just don't want to have all large prints and miss a sale and for someone to enjoy my work. I've been doing some acrylic transfers on to birch and I think these will sell. They are only 7" x 7" or 8" x 8" (Holga prints) and I'm working on a way to mount them like a floating frame.

Dan,

Where can I find more info on the Miracle Muck and the process for mounting? I really like mounting on Gatorboard but didn't think it was DIY since it's hard to cut.

Also, I emailed a local paper supplier here in Dallas, Red River Paper and was told by Drew Hendrix that they will have a new stretchable canvas, Blanco Matte Canvas in the next couple of weeks.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 05:53:21 am »

Gatorboard is certainly easier to cut with the proper equipment.
I use my sliding tablesaw.
You can cut it with a straight edge and razor although not ideal.
There are companies that sell pre cut sizes,you may have to just check around.
Miracle Muck is an easy application process.
Bill T. has explained it here in detail several times. A search should bring it up.
In the event you cannot find it here is the quickie version.
Pour a small amount of MM on your gator. If it is a large board you may want to use a paint tray for application. Roll in the MM to cover the surface making sure you have full coverage to the edges,without rolling too much materials over the edges.
Apply your canvas and roll it down with a brayer to get out any air bubbles.
Flip it over and trim the excess canvas with a razor. (You will want to have your image slightly larger then the gator for easier trimming.)
The board will warp like a potatoe chip for a half day or so. Do not worry as it will flatten out to frame in 24 hours or less.

Ray R

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 05:44:00 pm »

I have done some canvases from both 13 and 17 inch rolls, and using a 3800, although I have moved to a 4900.

If you use slim stretcher bars you can just get a 15 inch width from the roll (and only just).

I don't sell many canvases, but have done 15 x 36 inches, and also 15x6 with slim bars and also 12x36 (using canvas that was 16 inches wide).

It depends on you audience and where you are on what you may be able to sell. If it is a tourist area, you may find that they want something that will fit in their suitcase.

I have mounted canvas to MDF and found that polyester canvas is best because it doesn't fray. But personally I prefer cotton canvas for stretcher bars as it stretches better.

rmyers

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 07:39:49 pm »

I have done some canvases from both 13 and 17 inch rolls, and using a 3800, although I have moved to a 4900.

If you use slim stretcher bars you can just get a 15 inch width from the roll (and only just).

I don't sell many canvases, but have done 15 x 36 inches, and also 15x6 with slim bars and also 12x36 (using canvas that was 16 inches wide).

It depends on you audience and where you are on what you may be able to sell. If it is a tourist area, you may find that they want something that will fit in their suitcase.

I have mounted canvas to MDF and found that polyester canvas is best because it doesn't fray. But personally I prefer cotton canvas for stretcher bars as it stretches better.

What bars are you using to get 15".  I have only made 14 x 21 on my 3880 using the Breathing Color bars with the two sided tape.

enduser

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:04:56 pm »

The guy I buy my canvas from keeps a 60" printer on the premises and will let me print a large image for just the ink and canvas cost, as a service to his customers owning 24" machines.  Other suppliers may do this for you if you shop around.  (He does make me help him load the roll though).

Ray R

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:10:56 am »

I think they are these
http://www.artistsmaterialsonline.co.uk/product.php?cat_id=1&sub_id=15&pro_id=76

I thought they were 18mm bars, but I did get them from here.

It is tight, but the canvas I have used at the moment didn't have any stretch.

Like I say it is tight.

The photo was taken on my ipad, the height of the lower penguin one is 15inches by 36 inches. The length of the sailing one is 15 inches by 6.
Pages: [1]   Go Up