Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alaska vista  (Read 1142 times)

vazuw55

Alaska vista
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:12:59 pm »

Alaska vista

sdwilsonsct

Re: Alaska vista
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »

Very nicely done. It doesn't strike me as a good candidate for B&W...
Scott

Kerry L

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:20 am »

It is nice. I disagree with Scott, in colour it might be a bit of a  cliché.

It looks a bit too flat for my taste. I think it could be improved with some work on the contrast in different areas; the mid-ground rocks and the trees on the left. The sky and clouds look like there's more to them than what you shown.

All in all a good start.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

vazuw55

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:52:14 am »

I tend to be a less is more photoshop guy. I'll try to do another version to post. I thought the black and white version had more drama then the color version. Thanks for the comments, thats how we learn, and stretch our vision

francois

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:11:14 am »

I'm with Kerry: with a little more post-processing your image could have a better impact. I would try to lower the exposition a bit and see if a moderate contrast/clarity boost could help without falling into a caricature…
Francois

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 02:02:08 pm »

This is a clear nod to any number of other landscapes. It's a good idea, which is why it's been shot so many times!

I do not think this is a particularly stellar example of the idea, but I think it's a pretty good one. Like the other commenters, I am prejudiced against it by the lack of visual "pop", you've focused on the middle tones to the exclusion of dark blacks and white whites. I am trying to train myself out of this prejudice, but I still feel it. The thing I like best about this photo is that the reflected mountain has a lot more local contrast than the real one, which is wonderful. If it were mine, I would do more to de-emphasize the real one, and do more to bring up the reflected image as the focal point of the image. You could crop it a bit here and there, or do some selective burning and dodging to emphasize the difference between the two, perhaps.

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up