Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I turn off the paper profle showing in the Epsn Print driver for Lightrm?  (Read 1750 times)

One Frame at a Time

Hi,

I am using an Epson 1400.  The print driver will let you select one of several Epson Papers in the print driver.  I can't figure out how to turn this off.  I am printing on non - epson paper and using the canned profiles from the mfgrs for both soft proofing and printing from Lightroom.  I have "no color adj" selected but still concerned that the print driver's specific paper profile mis-match is messing things up.  I get OK results for the most part (monitor is calibrated) but since I am using canned profiles I don't expect perfection.  But getting the most accurate result possible would be nice. 

Thanks,

Paul

howardm

You don't/can't.  The driver knows only Epson papers and you have to select one of them.  Your 'canned' profiles must be based on one of the Epson papers so you need to ask your 3rd party paper mfgr 'what is the recommended Epson media type' for the paper you're using.  Most of the time, it's buried somewhere on the 3rd party mfgr website.

One Frame at a Time

OK thanks!  I was afraid it was something like that.  Found the listing on Canson's web site.  The papers don't exactly match the options in the 1400 but I guess that is a consumer printer and does not have the Epson Fine Art line installed.

Do you have to interface 3rd party custom or canned  paper profiles with Epsons menu of "Epson Paper" profiles on all their printers?   

Thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:16:21 pm by One Frame at a Time »

Randy Carone

Yes, and the third party manufacturer should tell you the Epson media type they used in creating the profile. It is very important to select the same setting that was used when the profile chart was produced as this will dictate the ink level used for their profile. For example, Innova puts the media type in the name of their profile, which I find very handy when making the media type choice. Some, like Hahnemuhle, have a pdf that tells what media type to use.
Randy Carone

One Frame at a Time

Thanks Randy,  I found the settings recommended by Canson on their site. Could you point me towards the Hanemhule info you referred to?  I searched all over and found some instructions for down load.  They are somewhat confusing.  They are labeled for the 1400 but have instructions for both pk ink, and, mk ink.  The 1400 only has one type of factory OEM ink.  Also, the paper choice "Archival Matte" is not offered on the 1400 print driver for the supposed Matte settings....

Thanks again,

P

Tony Jay

Paul, due to the somewhat unusual phrasing of your issue I may have misunderstood the problem, however:
If you are using LR4 to softproof and print from then the Epson print driver should be irrelevant for colour management - one is not selecting paper types etc there.
One selects the printer/paper profile from inside LR.
In the printer driver switch off the option for the printer to manage colour.

The printer itself does need to know the size and thickness of the paper that you are using (in my 7900 it does). This aspect of setting up the printer has no effect on colour management. This is all about the printer laying done ink at the appropriate distance and density for the type and thickness of the paper.

It does appear that you do need a solid primer on colour management, softproofing, and printing - the LuLa tutorial Camera to Print and Screen will be very helpful here.

Please feel free to expand your question as needed.

Regards

Tony Jay

Randy Carone

Hahnemuhle recommends using Epson Premium Glossy for their PK profiles. I don't have experience with the 1400 so I don't know what to tell you about printing on matte media. HFA does recommend Archival Matte (old name for Enhanced Matte) for matte papers, but since you have only one black, I'm at a lose as to recommendations for matte papers. Photo Black ink can be used on matte paper, but Matte Black doesn't work well on glossy media, so you should get decent results with PK on matte media. I think you'll have to do some experimenting to see if matte media yields good results.
Randy Carone

One Frame at a Time

Hi Tony, thanks for your response.  I have (I think) a pretty good handle on most of this stuff (until I hear some of the guru's on this forum start to speak ;) )   
I did a test and there is a color shift depending on what profile is selected from WITHIN the PRINTER'S paper selection choices.  They are presented INSIDE the printer's driver.   This is not the same as what is selected in Lightroom and it's soft proof, and print module.  But it does have an effect upon the printing process, but not on the viewing or monitor colors.

This is a separate but non-defeatable selection from the print driver itself.  Even if No Color Adjustment is selected (which is the correct setting).  In Lightroom, I have the specific paper's profile installed and selected. In both the soft proof, and in the Print Module while printing.  The custom (non-epson) profiles are not available within the Print Drivers drop-down menu (only the ones installed by the Print Driver's initial installation).  So, that leaves us (if I understand Howard M's response correctly) to coordinate the OEM print driver paper selection with the Selection made by the 3rd party profile supplier (selected in Lightroom), to get the intended results.  At least its that way for the 1400.  An admittedly consumer type printer (that can make great prints!).  Maybe in the Pro printers you get the option of the selecting the 3rd party profiles directly (or the option to have "none" selected) and not having to play this matching game.

Best,

P

howardm

Yes, unfortunately, that is exactly how the 'system' works.  You *always* have to pick an Epson paper for media type. 
There is no way to insert a 3rd party paper into the driver s/w.

Are you saying that this chart isn't working for you?

http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/epson.asp#I0000bad7

The Canson site does have profiles for the Epson 1400 printer so this should not be overly
problematic.  You never mentioned which specific Canson paper you're using.

Once the profile is selected inside LR, when you get the printer driver dialog, select the appropriate Epson media
per the chart.  

One thing that may be burning you is that Epson has had a tendency to rename their papers every now
and then (which makes users absolutely nuts!) so you may need the magic decoder ring to map the 'new' names to the
names in your printer driver.

One Frame at a Time

Howard,

Thanks for the link.   I only am interested in working with two papers right now.  Platine and Rag Photo.  I had thought I'd like the baryta but its not compatible with the ink set in the 1400, despite Canson making a profile for it (or the profile is so bad that it will not produce usable results).   I can't believe the difference from the old Epson Premium Matt papers I have used in the past!  An astounding difference.  Anyone want to buy a bunch of Epson Premium Matt paper in Letter and Super A3 :>)

Thanks for all your help,

P

John Caldwell

Hahnemüle Photo Rag usually calls for selecting Epson Velvet Fine Art in the paper type drop down in the Epson driver. I have no knowledge of the 1400 and how it incorporates MK (matte black) ink. Loading the proper ink may affect what media types are shown in the driver. Sorry I can't be more specific.

John Caldwell

One Frame at a Time

Thanks everyone.  I'm up and running with your help.

P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up