Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Few shots from recent bike trips  (Read 3349 times)

grzybu

Few shots from recent bike trips
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:09:12 am »

Hi,

Here are few shots from my recent bicycle trips.
When I see some interesting light I just get off the bike, take camera from backpack and shot, so these are more like snapshots than landscape studies ;)
Sometimes I found such trips more rewarding than dedicated photo trips with tripod, many lenses etc.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Re: Few shots from recent bike trips
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:27:16 am »

I really like the third picture, the colours, the light, the composition...

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

shutterpup

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:22:29 am »

The skies are what I noticed immediately. That first one got my thoughts going; you were biking with that kind of storm in the neighborhood? You're braver than I!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:46:41 am »

#1 is good, #4 is really good!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:08:12 pm »

#3 and #4 are quite nice. All and all it looks like both a very nice area for a bike ride and for some good landscapes.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:32:56 pm »

Number 1 is wonderful with a great dynamic and three dimensionality as well as hang excellent post-processing potential. The contrast of the blossoms and the darker foliage and sky give the photo real presence.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:37:03 pm »

#3 and #4 are quite nice. All and all it looks like both a very nice area for a bike ride and for some good landscapes.

I agree!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

WalterEG

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 05:05:34 am »

I like these pics, but I wonder if they may have taken on a different power had you included the bike in the shots?

Maybe my opinion is somewhat skewed because I am currently plodding my way through "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

W

grzybu

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 05:22:13 am »

Thanks for comments.
By bike I understand bicycle and those photos are made while my usual 50-70 km afternoon trips. Days are long now and when I start at about 7pm light is just starting to be interesting.
In about 3 weeks I'm going for longer 450km non-stop, solo marathon and I expect to see some nice landscapes, especially in early morning. It should be good excuse to make short stop ;)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 05:51:17 am »

Hi,

Here are few shots from my recent bicycle trips.
When I see some interesting light I just get off the bike, take camera from backpack and shot, so these are more like snapshots than landscape studies ;)
Sometimes I found such trips more rewarding than dedicated photo trips with tripod, many lenses etc.

i really like these two...the first for the deep greens and white against the dramatic, threatening sky...what sweet color, light...the second too, really nice feel to it...

i wonder...what backpack do you use on these long bike rides?...it must be really well made, for comfort i mean...

also wondering about the camera and lenses you carry...curious about weight, bulk...

i do a bit of cycling so i'm curious about your 'way'...the few times i've carried a camera with me on the bike it's been a fujifilm F30 in a back jersey pocket, keep it in a plastic bag with a paper towel to keep it from moisture......

kind regards...

M

grzybu

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 06:12:53 am »

I have typical bicycle backpack, but I don't remember exact name now.
Camera is Panasonic GH2 with 14-45 kit. For longer trips I also have pancake 20/1.7 and two Rokkors: 50/1.4 and 135/3.5. All this stuff don't weight much more than 1 kg.
I don't need much food for long trips because I can buy it. The same about water. I have one spare tube, thin rain coat, some underwear in case of really big rain. That's all I need for one, two days.
For 50-70 km I don't need anything beside camera and bottle of water on bike.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 02:08:44 am »

I have typical bicycle backpack, but I don't remember exact name now.
Camera is Panasonic GH2 with 14-45 kit. For longer trips I also have pancake 20/1.7 and two Rokkors: 50/1.4 and 135/3.5. All this stuff don't weight much more than 1 kg.
I don't need much food for long trips because I can buy it. The same about water. I have one spare tube, thin rain coat, some underwear in case of really big rain. That's all I need for one, two days.
For 50-70 km I don't need anything beside camera and bottle of water on bike.

thanks for the detail...i don't do so many kilometers these days, more in town biking getting around...but just bought a Deuter bike pack, a Race Exp Air, ventilated back system, not sure how it would feel on longer rides but might try it...have been considering the em5 and two or three lenses as a light, take everywhere camera...waiting on the fall, photokina, see what else comes, then i'll decide...waiting on Michael's take on the xpro1 from fujifilm too...

i do wear normal street clothes gettin' around in town on the bike, but have always used bike shorts, jerseys, clipless pedals on my road bike for anything upwards of 30km...they look funny, but i do appreciate the comfort...

grzybu

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 03:32:50 am »

Yeah, SPD and decent wearing are important for longer rides. I'm still using MTB with 24" wheels. Even if at least 95% of the time I'm on asphalt I can always choose ground path if I see something interesting. And I'm not hurry, so I don't really need bike on 1" wheels ;) The only fancy stuff on my bike is Brooks saddle and aerobar.
EM5 with new 12-35 should be really nice and small setup. Just bit expensive. The old Panasonic 14-45 kit is almost as good at f/5.6 on wide side to I'll stay with this one + some primes.
The only problem with GH2 is low DR. That's why photos 3 and 4 are in fact multi shot HDRs. Usually I don't have time to look for best exposure and I just bracket 7 frames and then choose 3-4 to make HDR.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 10:46:40 am »

Good shooting, Grz. #1 is dramatic, but #4 is especially good seeing.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 04:03:13 am »

Yeah, SPD and decent wearing are important for longer rides. I'm still using MTB with 24" wheels. Even if at least 95% of the time I'm on asphalt I can always choose ground path if I see something interesting. And I'm not hurry, so I don't really need bike on 1" wheels ;) The only fancy stuff on my bike is Brooks saddle and aerobar.
EM5 with new 12-35 should be really nice and small setup. Just bit expensive. The old Panasonic 14-45 kit is almost as good at f/5.6 on wide side to I'll stay with this one + some primes.
The only problem with GH2 is low DR. That's why photos 3 and 4 are in fact multi shot HDRs. Usually I don't have time to look for best exposure and I just bracket 7 frames and then choose 3-4 to make HDR.

the hdrs are nicely done...and that's what i was thinking about, the em5 + kit lens...ok, right now a bit expensive, but small, light, good image quality...actually would prefer some primes...12, 25, 45 or something like that...i don't mind changing lenses...

and lately in town i'm enjoying a city bike, standard pedals so i can wear my sneakers, and i popped on these heavy but very durable tires, schwalbe marathon plus, and dang they're great...i don't even bring a spare tube and pump anymore for my in town voyages...low tire pressure, no more than 5 bars and i'm good to go...using them since september and they still look brand new...

Pages: [1]   Go Up