Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss - replacement cable attachment  (Read 2275 times)

Alun

Arca Swiss - replacement cable attachment
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:02:44 am »

I'm not getting on with the magnetic attachment of my Arca Swiss cable release. I have a Schneider 35mm f/5.6 XL and when I put on a Lee filter holder, the cable release doesn't sit perfectly flush ( but only by a fraction ) hence the magnetic strength is not strong enough and it often flicks off when exposing.

Does anyone know (I'm based in the UK) where I can buy a replacement part to convert it back into a traditional screw in type and are there any pitfalls?

Thanks in advance
Alun

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Arca Swiss - replacement cable attachment
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:27:43 am »

If it's a standard Arca mount, you can just use a traditional screw in type cable release.  The mag mount has the threads up inside.
I don't use the mag. mount on any of my lenses, instead a traditional screw in style.  Look up inside the release and see if you don't have the
thread already there. 

The mag release is a great idea, however in real use, it's just not strong enough a magnet.  Most times, mine pushes off when you try to
release the shutter.  Needs to be re-thought IMO.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alun

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:48 am »

That's great Paul and thanks for the reply. I'll check it out but exactly the same thing as you've experienced with it popping off has happened to me

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:23:16 am »

Is that a Copal shutter?

Alun

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:06 am »

Yes it's a Copal 0 shutter but I've had a look and unfortunately there are no threads, just another magnet do I'm back to square one?

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:02:25 pm »

The threads are there. Just insert a standard cable release and screw in. They are in center but recessed slightly due to magnets.  We do not remove the copal socket just add the housing around it for the magnet.
I use both types on all of my five lenses with no trouble.  Just line it up in the center and you are good to go.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

Alun

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:21:07 pm »

Thanks Rod - sounds hopeful. I am away from home at present so will try when I get home at the weekend

Alun

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:29:34 am »

I've taken another look and have to agree that they're REALLY well hidden as I still can't see them! But I'll try when I get back

Alun

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:20:04 pm »

Just to close off the thread - I bought a standard cable release and it does indeed work with the Arca lens attachment so "thanks" Rod for your advice

Alun
Pages: [1]   Go Up